News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on June 21, 2024, 09:06:09 AMNo Gary? I assumed the country was named after the Hun, Gary. :(

Boo this man!  :ultra:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on June 21, 2024, 09:06:09 AMNo Gary? I assumed the country was named after the Hun, Gary. :(

QuoteGARYS could be wiped out within a generation after it emerged there have been no children named Gary since 1992.

Once common across Britain, experts believe the country could be at 'zero Gary' by the year 2050.

Tom Logan, a Gary campaigner, said: "Thirty years ago our playgrounds were teeming with Garys. Simple, straightforward boys who just wanted to be radio DJs.

"But they have been driven out by Kyles, Noahs, Jordans and Masons. Foreign sounding names for suspicious, unreliable children."

Logan, who tours maternity hospitals promoting the name Gary, said: "We've already lost Alan, the last Ken is living in a shed in Farnborough and the Lees that were once at every party claiming they knew martial arts are increasingly rare.

"Please, name your baby Gary. He'll grow into it."

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/no-garys-left-in-britain-by-2050-2015030696029
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Gotta pay to read. Funny promo though

QuotePay to watch Britain suffer
Lucky enough to be outside the UK?
Join Mash Premium to read on
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on June 21, 2024, 09:21:26 AM
QuoteGARYS could be wiped out within a generation after it emerged there have been no children named Gary since 1992.

Once common across Britain, experts believe the country could be at 'zero Gary' by the year 2050.

Tom Logan, a Gary campaigner, said: "Thirty years ago our playgrounds were teeming with Garys. Simple, straightforward boys who just wanted to be radio DJs.

"But they have been driven out by Kyles, Noahs, Jordans and Masons. Foreign sounding names for suspicious, unreliable children."

Logan, who tours maternity hospitals promoting the name Gary, said: "We've already lost Alan, the last Ken is living in a shed in Farnborough and the Lees that were once at every party claiming they knew martial arts are increasingly rare.

"Please, name your baby Gary. He'll grow into it."

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/no-garys-left-in-britain-by-2050-2015030696029

Fallout 3 predicted a Zero Gary world.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on June 21, 2024, 09:01:34 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 21, 2024, 08:34:10 AMViktor not a popular new born name? :P

Here's the top 10 back to 2016:

Big switch since I was a kid. With the partial exceptions of Adam David and Daniel these names were super rare. Whereas, an elementary class of 36 we had 5 Tamases  :D

Interesting. Thomas remains popular in Québec (top 5 for a decade now).

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Does Bence rhyme with Beyoncé?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Grey Fox

Top 10 Hungarian boy name for 2023 Quebec's equivalent (number is how many new born have the name) :

Dominik (Dominique) 0
Oliver (Olivier) 207
Levente 0
Mate (Mathieu) 21 (Mathias) 59
Marcell (Marcel) 14
Bence (Vincent) 39
Milan 218
Noel (Noel) 2
Zalan 1
Daniel 54

:bowler:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

:frusty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 21, 2024, 10:06:55 AMTop 10 Hungarian boy name for 2023 Quebec's equivalent (number is how many new born have the name) :

Dominik (Dominique) 0
Oliver (Olivier) 207
Levente 0
Mate (Mathieu) 21 (Mathias) 59
Marcell (Marcel) 14
Bence (Vincent) 39
Milan 218
Noel (Noel) 2
Zalan 1
Daniel 54

:bowler:

Is 200+ a lot? :unsure:

Seems like the Fast and Furious series are far less popular over there. :P

Seriously though a few years ago I read an article where a journalist did the research and yes, the number of "Dominiks" shot up after a F&F episode :bleeding: Then again it must have reached critical mass some time ago because it is just domi(haha)-nating all other names. One of my cousins has a son named Dominik (is he my great-nephew or what?)

Heck, even the best Hungarian football player (who has been underperforming in the Euros) is a Dominik, at age 23.

DGuller

Quote from: Josquius on June 21, 2024, 03:04:34 AMOn the topic of stereotyping....
I'm currently doing that most exciting of things and renewing my car insurance (oh for the day when I can dump that pile of evil metal).
It's one of the weird things about it that different jobs give different premiums. And not just expected stuff like travelling salesmen pay more. There's tools online where you compare your job title with other titles you could claim to be your job and pick the cheapest.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

I notice if I put it costs me £400 with a job title vaguely close to mine (actual job isn't included) then as a 'VDU Operator' I would only pay £314. Does this seem legit? VDU just means a computer monitor right?...
It's legit in that this is what some insurance companies did, although in my time there were already some challenges to the practice from attorneys general, on the ground that it created disparate impact. 

Statistically it's totally a legit practice (if done correctly, of course, but that applies to anything).  Almost every insurance rate calculation is a combination of a stereotype and personal experience.  Ideally you'd want personal experience to be so powerful that the stereotyping part is no longer predictive, but in most lines of insurance your personal experience just doesn't have nearly the sufficient statistical power to do that. 

What's also important to understand is that "correlation vs. causation" doesn't really apply here, since you're just trying to predict the claim potential rather than influence it (although sometimes insurance companies do try to get into loss control territory, in which case causation does become important).  In this case, in some roundabout way, your job title through a series of correlative connections is predictive of how much you'll cost to insure, so that's why it's used as a rating factor.

Sheilbh

On the insurance side there used to be a car insurance company that explicitly targeted women and women generally got lower rates. That ended when the courts decided that it was basically unlawful discrimination.

Not sure if it's still available elsewhere in the world.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

From Rates.ca

Quoteresearch has shown that women in Canada will pay on average around 5% less than their male counterparts for automobile insurance. This same principle applies to homeowner's insurance where women in Canada on average will pay 8% less.

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2024, 11:23:07 AMOn the insurance side there used to be a car insurance company that explicitly targeted women and women generally got lower rates. That ended when the courts decided that it was basically unlawful discrimination.

Not sure if it's still available elsewhere in the world.
Having different rates for car insurance for different genders is still done in most states (car insurance is regulated state by state).  Some states did start banning it over the last decade, but it's very much a thing in every state that doesn't ban it, because it is quite predictive.

Barrister

I don't know the exact stats, but from 20 years of experience in the criminal courts males make up 80-90% of our Accuseds.  There's just something about testosterone that makes people more aggressive and impulsive - which understandably might effect the rate they get into automobile accidents.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Insurance rate comparing site lowestrates.ca has this, which has a higher variance:

QuoteIn Downtown Toronto:

Between the ages of 17-19, men pay 27% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 20-24, men pay 11% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 25-30, men pay 3% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 31-40, men pay 5% more annually for car insurance than women
From the age of 40 onwards, men and women pay equally for car insurance

In Downtown Montreal:

Between the ages of 17-19, men pay 16% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 20-24, men pay 14% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 25-30, men pay 19% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 31-40, men pay 14% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 40-50, men pay 11% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 50-60, men pay 11% more annually for car insurance than women

In Downtown Calgary:

Between the ages of 17-19, men pay 12% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 20-24, men pay 2% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 25-30, men pay 2% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 31-40, men pay 3% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 40-50, men pay 5% more annually for car insurance than women
Between the ages of 50-60, men pay 4% more annually for car insurance than women