News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2024, 11:40:59 AMAround the entire world?  Yeah I bet it's a hell of  a lot higher than 40!  And remember that stat was just bear attacks, not deaths by bear.

But remember my whole take is that some people are really exaggerating the dangerousness of bears, not that people are underestimating the dangerousness of men.

Yup I'm with you there :cheers: :Canuck:

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2024, 11:44:36 AMgoing back to the thread/post about how like 25% think they can take on a elephant, people really underestimate how dangerous animals are. To garbons point, white people might be dangerous too ( :P ), but animals mess you up. sure only 40 people died, but out of how many encounters? and what types of bear.

congrats on tik tok lady for spurring languish discussion though, beats the Israel thread :D

If a bear is going to attack you you are going to have a very bad time of it.  It's just bears aren't really very likely to attack people.  It's the old "they're more scared of you then you are of them".

Other then polar bears, apparently.  Supposedly they WILL hunt humans.  Thankfully not many people live in the high arctic, and those that do know how to stay safe.

It's a question of temperament.

Interestingly I found this list of the top 10 deadliest animals.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/what-animals-kills-the-most-people

No shock, mosquitos are #1.  Humans (homicides only) are #2 with 400,000 homicides per year.  Your elephants are #8 with 600.

Bears don't even make the list.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2024, 11:46:27 AMI'm concerned about engaging further as you seem like you are getting into a place where you famously fly off the handle.

Though not so concern so as to not needle you. ^_^

Valmy famously flies off handles? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2024, 11:44:36 AMgoing back to the thread/post about how like 25% think they can take on a elephant, people really underestimate how dangerous animals are. To garbons point, white people might be dangerous too ( :P ), but animals mess you up. sure only 40 people died, but out of how many encounters? and what types of bear.

congrats on tik tok lady for spurring languish discussion though, beats the Israel thread :D

Apparently not 40 deaths - 40 attacks, globally.

In Canada we apparently have averaged about 3 deaths from bears annually in the last decade.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2024, 11:55:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2024, 11:46:27 AMI'm concerned about engaging further as you seem like you are getting into a place where you famously fly off the handle.

Valmy famously flies off handles? :unsure:

We always gave it to Berkut but V gets stroppy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2024, 11:54:50 AM

If a bear is going to attack you you are going to have a very bad time of it.  It's just bears aren't really very likely to attack people.  It's the old "they're more scared of you then you are of them".

Other then polar bears, apparently.  Supposedly they WILL hunt humans.  Thankfully not many people live in the high arctic, and those that do know how to stay safe.

It's a question of temperament.

Interestingly I found this list of the top 10 deadliest animals.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/what-animals-kills-the-most-people

No shock, mosquitos are #1.  Humans (homicides only) are #2 with 400,000 homicides per year.  Your elephants are #8 with 600.

Bears don't even make the list.

RE Polar bears, the company i work for built a rink in Nunavut, Rankin Inlet to be precise, and they had a curfew. In the area they were staying polar bears had the habit of wandering in at night, apparently. Now i can't tell you if it was an abundance of precaution, or messing with the out of towners :lol: . Techs did say they didn't see locals out, for what its worth.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

also, animal vectors seems like cheating :D

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2024, 11:55:36 AMApparently not 40 deaths - 40 attacks, globally.

In Canada we apparently have averaged about 3 deaths from bears annually in the last decade.

That's only what's reported. Everyone knows the Bear Mafia has you Canadians so scared no one will break omerta and tell the grizzly truth.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 06, 2024, 12:08:44 PMThat's only what's reported. Everyone knows the Bear Mafia has you Canadians so scared no one will break omerta and tell the grizzly truth.

Paradoxically all the victims of bear killings are people who spoke about the bear killings. If only no one mentioned the bear killings, the bears wouldn't have to kill anyone....

Valmy

What can I say? This is my safe space to vent.  :P

I just remembered something that pissed me off 20 years ago and YOU PEOPLE ARE GOING TO HEAR ABOUT IT
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2024, 11:54:50 AMBears don't even make the list.

They are more of a threat to picnic baskets.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2024, 11:17:16 AMEven if we only count women killed by men they don't know, I'm pretty sure the number is greater than 40.

Though, of course, the relevant statistic for the answer to the question is probably the number of women who've felt endangered by men they don't know. And that is a pretty high number it seems.

I thought this was exactly the question that was being highlighted by the meme: the gap between perceived risk and actual risk.  For example when someone says they are terrified of jihadist terrorism many will point out that the number of attacks on American soil has been low.  Their perception is incorrect and therefore their fear is not justified.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2024, 06:28:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2024, 11:17:16 AMEven if we only count women killed by men they don't know, I'm pretty sure the number is greater than 40.

Though, of course, the relevant statistic for the answer to the question is probably the number of women who've felt endangered by men they don't know. And that is a pretty high number it seems.

I thought this was exactly the question that was being highlighted by the meme: the gap between perceived risk and actual risk.  For example when someone says they are terrified of jihadist terrorism many will point out that the number of attacks on American soil has been low.  Their perception is incorrect and therefore their fear is not justified.

But what we are talking about here is not in your regular life are bears or men more of a threat.
In that men are the obvious right answer for almost everyone.
It's in a situation where you roll a one and get a rare encounter with a bear vs meeting a random guy.
More of an analogue for Islamic extremists would be you're actually on site when an attack is underway.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on May 07, 2024, 02:23:08 AMMore of an analogue for Islamic extremists would be you're actually on site when an attack is underway.

That would be a good analogue for already being mauled by a bear or raped by a man.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2024, 03:03:27 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 07, 2024, 02:23:08 AMMore of an analogue for Islamic extremists would be you're actually on site when an attack is underway.

That would be a good analogue for already being mauled by a bear or raped by a man.
More you walk past a bear mauling somebody else.

Not a good analogy but then neither is the day to day fear of Islamic extremism one.
██████
██████
██████