Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2024, 03:04:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2024, 02:37:01 PMI think you have to be careful in describing what aspect is superior. The far superior listening experience is vinyl.  Digital maybe superior for other purposes but for listening enjoyment vinyl is definitely the way to go.

That's certainly not true. Just the needle and the turntable - even expensive ones - will always add a degree of noise.

Now, whether you find that noise endearing (I do), that's another question.

Certainly?

I think if you said that in a room full of audiophiles you would be run out of town.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 01, 2024, 03:28:50 PMJust watched Dune 2.  :ph34r:

One a scale of 1 to 10 how much jihadi propaganda was there :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Finished Napoleon last night.  :pirate

Every battle scene is cringlingly bad.  Waterloo looked like Braveheart with tall hats.  Everyone runs together then they wrestle and roar.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2024, 02:29:01 PMMusically, digital music like CDs are far superior.

.....not really. the only difference is that for LPs you DO need a good quality sound system, wheras you can get away with a cheap setup for CDs.
Also there is a difference in types of LPs as well. 80s North American pressings, for instance, are shit. That's why today's remastered pressings come in 180 gram editions which are superior.

I like music, and like I said, I buy a lot of CDs. I do buy some LPs, but mostly, (to concede one of your points) for esthetics and collection purposes.

I am not rich enough to afford a good enough turntable/amplifier set up or even to spend so much on LPs which are stupidly expensive. So I stick with CDs, but LPs do sound better on the right system.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2024, 03:30:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2024, 02:37:01 PMI think you have to be careful in describing what aspect is superior. The far superior listening experience is vinyl.  Digital maybe superior for other purposes but for listening enjoyment vinyl is definitely the way to go.

That's certainly not true. Just the needle and the turntable - even expensive ones - will always add a degree of noise.

Certainly?

I think if you said that in a room full of audiophiles you would be run out of town.

Yes, the reasons to prefer vinyl sound are purely subjective - and those are perfectly respectable - or in some cases when you're releasing old stuff without access to a good master (and thus you're getting a bad copy of vinyl sound).

https://www.npr.org/2012/02/10/146697658/why-vinyl-sounds-better-than-cd-or-not

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2024, 03:55:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2024, 03:30:22 PM

Certainly?

Yes, the reasons to prefer vinyl sound are purely subjective - and those are perfectly respectable - or in some cases when you're releasing old stuff without access to a good master (and thus you're getting a bad copy of vinyl sound).

https://www.npr.org/2012/02/10/146697658/why-vinyl-sounds-better-than-cd-or-not

Thank you for posting a link that totally confirms what I was saying! :hug:

Like if you, or anyone else, enjoy listening to vinyl records - have at 'er!  I support the music industry, and buying physical media is better for artists than relying on streaming.  I'm also old enough that some of my first music was on vinyl (though I was mostly a cassette guy as a kid - yay Walkmans!).

There definitely is a "thing" to listening to a vinyl record - the pops and hiss.  It's probably better than the cassettes I already mentioned listening to.

But in terms of sound quality - CDs beat them all to hell.

Josephus mentioned the quality of a sound system.  The thing is - if you can afford a good quality sound system for an LP, the same sound system will sound great for a CD.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Quote from: HVC on March 01, 2024, 03:35:41 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 01, 2024, 03:28:50 PMJust watched Dune 2.  :ph34r:

One a scale of 1 to 10 how much jihadi propaganda was there :ph34r:

I'd say go watch it I don't want to spoil  movies my friend.  :ph34r:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Another very good episode of Masters of the Air. Really enjoying this show
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: viper37 on March 01, 2024, 03:23:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2024, 02:37:01 PMThe far superior listening experience is vinyl.  Digital maybe superior for other purposes but for listening enjoyment vinyl is definitely the way to go.
This is a false assertion that does not withstand any empirical tests:
Analogue Hearts, Digital Minds, by Michael Uwins.
https://is.gd/VpXZXU

But can you have the same environmental impact with a CD? I don't think so. :P

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jan/28/vinyl-record-revival-environmental-impact-music-industry-streaming

Gups

Quote from: Josephus on March 02, 2024, 10:39:05 AMAnother very good episode of Masters of the Air. Really enjoying this show

Cinematography was fantastic

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2024, 03:45:47 PMFinished Napoleon last night.  :pirate

Every battle scene is cringlingly bad.  Waterloo looked like Braveheart with tall hats.  Everyone runs together then they wrestle and roar.

Is it worth bothering with at all?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on March 02, 2024, 02:49:38 PMIs it worth bothering with at all?

The uniforms and the sets are gorgeous.  I found the domestic scenes interesting from a psychological POV.  I'm not angry with myself for having sat through it.

Josquius

Poor things. Ultimately better than expected. But still only decent. Feels a bit too up it's own arse. And the ending doesn't really hit.
██████
██████
██████