News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 29, 2024, 12:21:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 28, 2024, 02:44:01 PMWill LOTR's extended edition finally fit on one disk??
New DVD-Like Disc Holds More Movies Than You Can See in a Lifetime

For certain kind of data storage purposes maybe...but I have the feeling that discs will never be appealing again, no matter the storage capacity.

Do you remember the Zip drive?  It was a floppy disk that held 100s of times more data than the then-standard 3 1/2" floppy.  Yet it never really took off - the world had moved on to DVDs.

The world has moved on to streaming - with ubiquitous Wi-Fi and 5g cellular, why do you need physical storage?  Even though I agree and actually like physical storage, the rest of the world doesn't seem to agree.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

You need physical storage for when the rights holder or service provide decide they don't want to host a particular piece of media anymore and you can't access it again.

... not that I do that myself, but sometimes things on my playlists will disappear and there's nothing I can do about it and that's pretty annoying.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 29, 2024, 12:27:19 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 28, 2024, 02:44:01 PMWill LOTR's extended edition finally fit on one disk??

For certain kind of data storage purposes maybe...but I have the feeling that discs will never be appealing again, no matter the storage capacity.

Do you remember the Zip drive?  It was a floppy disk that held 100s of times more data than the then-standard 3 1/2" floppy.  Yet it never really took off - the world had moved on to DVDs.

The world has moved on to streaming - with ubiquitous Wi-Fi and 5g cellular, why do you need physical storage?  Even though I agree and actually like physical storage, the rest of the world doesn't seem to agree.

So many of us seem to think that way that I'm optimistic that within 10 years physical media will be back.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Crazy_Ivan80

all that data is stored somewhere though.
And if you have your stuff on physical carriers no 3rd party can unilaterally change it (which is become very easy now with AI)

Barrister

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 29, 2024, 01:02:20 PM

all that data is stored somewhere though.
And if you have your stuff on physical carriers no 3rd party can unilaterally change it (which is become very easy now with AI)

This is true - yet the rest of the world doesn't seem to care.

And everyone out there - how often to do you buy physical media?  Are you going out to buy new music on CDs?  Or do you just rely on Spotify/Amazon/whatever?

Josquius

I do increasingly see articles with people pushing back against streaming. Wanting to own stuff again, seeing streaming transforming into cable, etc...
Certainly piracy is increasingly a tempting option again... So why not physical media?
Still a niche of course. But a very definite stable niche. Like vinyl.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on February 29, 2024, 02:23:31 PMI do increasingly see articles with people pushing back against streaming. Wanting to own stuff again, seeing streaming transforming into cable, etc...
Certainly piracy is increasingly a tempting option again... So why not physical media?

The resurgence in vinyl though is really just about the esthetics of it.

If you cared about owning physical copies of media you'd be buying physical digital copies - CDs/DVDs and the like.

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on February 29, 2024, 02:25:49 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 29, 2024, 02:23:31 PMI do increasingly see articles with people pushing back against streaming. Wanting to own stuff again, seeing streaming transforming into cable, etc...

The resurgence in vinyl though is really just about the esthetics of it.

If you cared about owning physical copies of media you'd be buying physical digital copies - CDs/DVDs and the like.

Vinyl really does sound better on a good system. I don't think it's worth the money you need to invest myself

Josephus

I still buy around 50 CDs a year 😁
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Where do you put them all?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on February 29, 2024, 03:14:53 PMWhere do you put them all?

In a CD player to play them, one at a time. :smarty:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on February 29, 2024, 02:25:49 PMThe resurgence in vinyl though is really just about the esthetics of it.

Yeah I think there is a comeback coming though - largely because I think people are more aware of the risk of licensing and shows or movies just disappearing from a platform.

I think it'll always be a supplement to streaming now but is something that I don't think people really understood in the past.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

I couldn't stand musicals as a kid, even Muppets.  Felt the music was an unwanted intermission.

I do care for them now though.
PDH!

Josephus

Yes...this is becoming a problem. Shelving units for the most part. But one of my 2024 resolutions was to buy less CDs. The time will come soon when I will need to downsize and get rid of stuff. It will be painful, but there will be a culling.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 29, 2024, 03:48:48 PM

In a CD player to play them, one at a time. :smarty:

I actually have a carousel CD that lets me put 100 CDs in it. That doesn't solve the problem of the cases, though  :lol: