News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: HVC on February 24, 2024, 04:30:01 PMTried to watch the new Netflix Avatar live action. As bad as you'd expect.
Have there been any live action remakes that have been good during the last decade plus they've been pushing them out from all different studios? At best, they seem watchable, yet even that is a rarely attained level for them. I don't understand the mindset of studios to keep using this failed concept.  :huh:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

HVC

Super hero movies sucked until they didn't. Maybe they're hoping to strike gold again :D

*edit* and while the Disney ones apparently suck (haven't watched but haven't seen good reviews) I think they are making money for the most part.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on February 24, 2024, 10:30:14 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 24, 2024, 04:30:01 PMTried to watch the new Netflix Avatar live action. As bad as you'd expect.
Have there been any live action remakes that have been good during the last decade plus they've been pushing them out from all different studios? At best, they seem watchable, yet even that is a rarely attained level for them. I don't understand the mindset of studios to keep using this failed concept.  :huh:

Cowboy Bebop was good.
My GF has never seen the anime and enjoyed it.

Looking to Japan there's quite a few live action manga films that have been good. The Death Wish films were my first encounter with the series and I liked them. Detroit Metal City is one of my favourite films, really good.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on February 24, 2024, 09:49:36 PMI tried Wheel of Time.

Who is it that talked about all those candles?  Was it Syt?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Yeay, I'm not alone on the candles front!

viper37

Brian Herbert is in awe of Dune, part 2.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

He might have a vested interest.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 26, 2024, 07:58:39 AMHe might have a vested interest.

Fair.
Reviews do suggest Dune 2 is great.
But the latest adaptation of something is always absolutely amazing according to those who stand to profit.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Dune 2 now the highest rated movie of all time on imdb.

This is getting out of hand.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Metacritic has less reviews, but is less subject to fake reviews.
80% percent score.  Still good.
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dune-part-two/

RT's top critics are at 95% fresh.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Denis Villeneuve says movies have been corrupted by television

QuoteDenis Villeneuve: "Frankly, I Hate Dialogue. Dialogue Is For Theatre And Television"

I think he has a point about some movies where they talk too much.  Conan The Barbarian and Valhalla Rising were powerful movies in their own right because the main character did not speak for the first 30 minutes or so.

Then again, would a movie like A few good men be considered filmed theatre or a real movie?  Everyone remembers the line.  There's no movie without that line, there's no movie without Jack Nicholson's line.  But essentially, it could have been done as a theater play without changing much.  Can't do that with a real movie like The Avengers. :P

Valmy

He makes big sci fi films though. I think those do work better by showing the crazy sci fi stuff than talking about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Rejoice!  For I bring forth great news!

There will be a Jurassic World 4.

We more dinos, just like we need more Transformers and super heroes. :P