News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

A bit more insight at the behind-the-scenes of making Game of Thrones.
Link

Quote"Benioff and Weiss, who have been friends since grad school, weren't crazy about HBO's then-owners, AT&T, whose executives once asked whether Game of Thrones could be shot vertically so it would fit on your phone. The company also openly discussed the idea of snackable mini-episodes of the series," WSJ wrote. 

I never heard that term.  I think, maybe, there's too much marketing people involved in these series.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

It was a thing around the time GOT was made - the concept of "snackable" episodes and vertical filming. IIRC there was a company that managed to raise I don't know how many millions to become a network in what was - briefly - thought to be the future of media.

So I don't think it was specifically targeted at GOT as much as it was executives bandying about the hot buzzwords of the moment at anything and everything.

Josquius

I remember the snackable episodes as the future thing.
There was this big money would-be netflix of phones that splashed lots of cash on developing content for this format only to fail massively. I can't even remember its name.

Edit- quibi. Even the name...ouch.
https://medium.com/@thinkingquill/the-billion-dollar-netflix-competitor-youve-never-heard-of-a891856f6f2e
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Isn't that just basically instagram or tik tok?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Yeah, Quibi was supposed to be the next big thing. Until it wasn't.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on February 27, 2024, 06:42:16 AMYeah, Quibi was supposed to be the next big thing. Until it wasn't.

Looked them up. raised $1.75 billion from suckers, I mean investors. Lasted 3/4 of a year. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 26, 2024, 03:13:09 PMDune 2 now the highest rated movie of all time on imdb.

This is getting out of hand.  :lol:

Indeed, some screenings of the first part are organised before Dune 2 premieres.  :D

HVC

Shogun out today. Episode 1 and 2

viper37

Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 09:55:34 AMShogun out today. Episode 1 and 2
Shot on location.  In BC. :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Some in japan too. And the uk for some reason :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 11:48:40 AMSome in japan too. And the uk for some reason :lol:

Scenes before he went to Japan?
His family back in England?
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on February 27, 2024, 11:50:02 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 11:48:40 AMSome in japan too. And the uk for some reason :lol:

You think it'd be easier and cheaper to fake in BC

viper37

Can't say I've read the book but if the real William Adams story is in there I think he went back and forth a few times.
IIRC, the book begins as he is in the sea, during a storm, just like the mini-series with Richard Chamberlain.
There are no flashbacks to his time in England.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2024, 11:58:35 AM

Can't say I've read the book but if the real William Adams story is in there I think he went back and forth a few times.
IIRC, the book begins as he is in the sea, during a storm, just like the mini-series with Richard Chamberlain.
There are no flashbacks to his time in England.

Still scared it'll be worse than that one. Loved when I saw it decades ago

The Brain

True Detective: Night Country (AKA The Peaks AKA Twin Thing). It was OK but the ending was a bit meh I think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.