News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on February 22, 2024, 04:05:42 PMAliens are too alien. It'd be a cgi eyesore. Agree it's a great story though.

Yes, the question is, as you note, whether the aliens can be rendered believably.  I think that CGI is god enough now, but I could be wrong.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on February 22, 2024, 04:05:42 PMAliens are too alien. It'd be a cgi eyesore. Agree it's a great story though.

The thing about Dune is that although it's, what, 10000 years in the future - it's still just humans, so still kind-of relatable (even given how crazy the Bene Gesserit, Guild Navigators, Tleilaxu, etc get).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 22, 2024, 02:46:45 PMI for one am very much looking forward to Sting's origin story :contract:

Alien in New York...

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2024, 03:54:53 PMThe SF movie I want to see done is The Mote in God's Eye.  The best treatment of an actually alien culture I've read.

Falkenberg's legion could be made into a series. It has a bit of everything: mercenaries both good and band, freedomfighters, terrorists, failing government trying to maintain control, frontierworlds...

FunkMonk

Dune now at 98% on 131 reviews it's like that Jeb! meme it keeps going upppp
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 23, 2024, 07:43:14 AMDune now at 98% on 131 reviews it's like that Jeb! meme it keeps going upppp

Yes. But will it pass the Languish test.  :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

I'm starting to think funk has some money riding on this :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on February 22, 2024, 03:26:29 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on February 21, 2024, 08:02:39 PMIn this crazy hellworld timeline at least we get to see Dune be a major box office success with critically acclaimed films :cry:

Let's reexamine the issue in a few years when Hollywood has IP-ed this to death and ruined it somehow :D

Now, seriously, if Hollywood tries to franchise this in the Hollywood way (and with capes beginning to fail, they are desperate to find new franchises), it can be truely surreal. Can't wait for the Leto and Ghanima cartoon.
They do want to make a couple of tv series out of it.
I'm hoping it won't all be bad.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

1970s British sci-fi shows were quite cheerful.

"The Guardians" - from Wikipedia: "Following economic chaos, democratic government has been overthrown in a bloodless coup, the Royal Family fled into self-imposed exile and England is ruled autocratically by Prime Minister Sir Timothy Hobson. Hobson is initially a pawn of 'the General'; a military officer by the name of Roger, who later becomes the Minister of Defence. Hobson subscribes to an outwardly benevolent paternalistic fascism, based on the principle that "democracy is a form of group suicide." Political opposition is suppressed by a uniformed paramilitary force recruited from former policemen, soldiers and security guards and called "The Guardians of the Realm" (known for short as "The Guardians" or simply "The Gs")."

"1990" - from Wikipedia: "The series is set in a dystopian future in which Britain is under the grip of the Home Office's Public Control Department (PCD), a tyrannically oppressive bureaucracy riding roughshod over the population's civil liberties."

"Blake's 7": Dissidents and outlaws on the run from the fascist Terran regime.

"The Changes": A NIMBY wet dream in which Britain has reverted to a pre-industrial state and any form of machine and advanced technology is shunned. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Strongly recommend the Rest is History's recent run of episodes on Britain in 1974.

Explains a lot of that. Is very funny and also quite grim. I did not know that there were discussions of two separate murder plots going on at the top of two of our major parties for example :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Security guards? That's the least believable part :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josquius

Finally saw Tenent for the first time.

Cool and pretty but yup. I think there's a lot I don't really get.

Going to have to do some reading about this.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Tried to watch the new Netflix Avatar live action. As bad as you'd expect.

viper37

I tried Wheel of Time.

Who is it that talked about all those candles?  Was it Syt?
Damn.  First thing I noticed watching it.  Urgh.

Compare this to LOTR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1j9LVVUiFg

Or compare this with any scene from The Last of the Mohicans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7HO1ymqbI
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.