News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 29, 2024, 12:21:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 28, 2024, 02:44:01 PMWill LOTR's extended edition finally fit on one disk??
New DVD-Like Disc Holds More Movies Than You Can See in a Lifetime

For certain kind of data storage purposes maybe...but I have the feeling that discs will never be appealing again, no matter the storage capacity.
They might become an item for collectors like vinyl disks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 29, 2024, 02:25:49 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 29, 2024, 02:23:31 PMI do increasingly see articles with people pushing back against streaming. Wanting to own stuff again, seeing streaming transforming into cable, etc...
Certainly piracy is increasingly a tempting option again... So why not physical media?
Still a niche of course. But a very definite stable niche. Like vinyl.

The resurgence in vinyl though is really just about the esthetics of it.

If you cared about owning physical copies of media you'd be buying physical digital copies - CDs/DVDs and the like.

Possibly true, though analogue music recordings have a much higher dynamic range than digital.  Most people can't reliably tell the difference, but an audiophile with good hearing may (as they claim) get a richer music experience from vinyl.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on February 29, 2024, 05:37:08 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 29, 2024, 03:48:48 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 29, 2024, 03:14:53 PMWhere do you put them all?

In a CD player to play them, one at a time. :smarty:

I actually have a carousel CD that lets me put 100 CDs in it. That doesn't solve the problem of the cases, though  :lol:

I was expecting at least a 4-CD at once carousel so my expectations were more than met, excedeed actually.
Well done ! :cheers:

Josephus

yeah it works like a juke box. the discs go in vertically in a row and are numbered 1-100. I have a book where I put the CD Sleeves that correspond to those numbers. So if I want to listen to, say, Rush's Moving Pictures, I see that it's "#78".

It's actually a 100+1 carousel. The +1 is if I want to listen to a disc, like say something I just bought, before I assign it a more permanent slot.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Regarding (no pun intended) the audiophile debate, I switched to DVD-A (RIP), SACD and Blu-ray Audio some time ago, when possible. Even "old" works, recorded on analogue, can sound better, specially the quadraphonic mixes, unavailable on vinyl.
Black Sabbath's Paranoid never sounded better, be it on 4.0 (quadra) or stereo.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on February 29, 2024, 07:52:11 PMMost people can't reliably tell the difference, but an audiophile with good hearing may (as they claim) get a richer music experience from vinyl.
Which is only true for the first or second listening.  After that, the vinyl degrades, unlike the good quality lossless digital music (cd or otherwise) and it becomes worst.  That's assuming you have the hearing to notice it, to begin with.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 01, 2024, 08:01:04 AM.
Do pray tell, where can I find that?
Amazon returns nothing for "quadio" or "Blu ray audio" for this title, only CD and Vynil, there's no price listed for the blu ray.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on March 01, 2024, 10:19:02 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 01, 2024, 08:01:04 AM.
Do pray tell, where can I find that?
Amazon returns nothing for "quadio" or "Blu ray audio" for this title, only CD and Vynil, there's no price listed for the blu ray.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Black-Sabbath-Paranoid-Blu-ray/340658/

Got it through another seller, wowhd, but I don't know how reliable they are for Québec. It's ok for France as long as you don't have easily tempted postmen or neighbors.  :P Just dropped in your mail box, if it fits, basically. Otherwise, go to the post office.

https://www.wowhd.co.uk/paranoid-quadio/081227820985

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Sabbath-Paranoid-Blu-ray/dp/B0CCB4K6TP?tag=bluray-020-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on March 01, 2024, 10:16:22 AM
Quote from: grumbler on February 29, 2024, 07:52:11 PMMost people can't reliably tell the difference, but an audiophile with good hearing may (as they claim) get a richer music experience from vinyl.
Which is only true for the first or second listening.  After that, the vinyl degrades, unlike the good quality lossless digital music (cd or otherwise) and it becomes worst.  That's assuming you have the hearing to notice it, to begin with.

Isn't that what makes vinyl good? The imperfections. Like live versions.
Theyre certainly much better than when cds skip.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on March 01, 2024, 02:21:59 PM

So like I said - people like vinyl for the esthetics of it.  And not that there's anything wrong with that.

Musically, digital music like CDs are far superior.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I think you have to be careful in describing what aspect is superior. The far superior listening experience is vinyl.  Digital maybe superior for other purposes but for listening enjoyment vinyl is definitely the way to go.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2024, 02:37:01 PMI think you have to be careful in describing what aspect is superior. The far superior listening experience is vinyl.  Digital maybe superior for other purposes but for listening enjoyment vinyl is definitely the way to go.

That's certainly not true. Just the needle and the turntable - even expensive ones - will always add a degree of noise.

Now, whether you find that noise endearing (I do), that's another question.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on March 01, 2024, 02:21:59 PM

No, that's not the same thing, not these imperfections.

The first time you hear a vinyl recording, it will sound even better than the live version.
The second time, about the same.
By the third time, it gets worst.

It's not something you'll notice unless you are Superman.  Give it a dozen times, 2 dozen times, and it gets worst and worst with every listening because of the wear and tear of the needle.

It's like Gun's 'n Roses in 1986 and Gun's 'n Roses in 2024, except it's happening in 6 months if you listen to it intensively.

Of course, audiophiles are likely to listen to an album once and never touch it again, so it probably does not matter. They might even keep it its original sleeves as a collector item.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2024, 02:37:01 PMThe far superior listening experience is vinyl.  Digital maybe superior for other purposes but for listening enjoyment vinyl is definitely the way to go.
This is a false assertion that does not withstand any empirical tests:
Analogue Hearts, Digital Minds, by Michael Uwins.
https://is.gd/VpXZXU