And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Masters of the Air, this weeks episode was amongst the best ever

Zoupa

I can't get into it. I think we've had enough ww2 content.

Josquius

Quote from: Zoupa on February 10, 2024, 01:05:15 AMI can't get into it. I think we've had enough ww2 content.

We have? :unsure:

I struggle to think of much at all in recent years.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Insidious: The Red Door. Father and son struggle with memories of previous instalments. Very good in the genre I think. One weakness though is that the movie has a "magic black person", which seems unnecessary and lazy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Saltburn was.... An odd film. Don't quite get why there need be the final murder. But amusing. And some painful nostalgia-rage at the start.

Started masters of the air.
Man those opening credits. So very... Circa 2000. Wretch. Really off putting.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Shogun Trailer looks good. I also like the sassy portuguese (?) Character.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Threviel

Did not know about that one, loved the old one. Flaming arrows and torches all around are silly tropes, but the candle numbers seem possible. Looking forward to it.

HVC

Gotta light up the night somehow. A pitch black battle is less then appealing as an audience :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 09, 2024, 11:02:04 PMMasters of the Air, this weeks episode was amongst the best ever

The best ever? You make it seem like it's been around for ages:D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Gups

Quote from: HVC on February 11, 2024, 04:19:59 AMShogun Trailer looks good. I also like the sassy portuguese (?) Character.

Started re-reading the novel not knowing there was going to be a new series. Looking forward to it.

Finished Season 3 of the Slow Horse, an above average Brit spy series elevated to excellent by Gary Oldman and season 2 of the criminally underrated Julia with the wonderful Sarah Lancashire.

Jacob

This is based on Clavell's book, I assume (since his name doesn't appear in the trailer)?

I remember watching that as a young lad, setting off a long lasting fascination with Japan for me (and about half of the rest of the West at the time, it seems).

Looks like they've added more female fighting bad-assery than the book and the original TV series did - which makes sense given modern audience tastes.

Maybe if it's successful, we'll see a transition from vikings back to samurai as the main flavour of "exotic yet relatable setting for 'historical' sword and honour fantasy".

Where is the series showing?

Tonitrus

Looks like an FX series...dunno how that translates to Canadian.

Jacob

Started watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom with the boy the other day. We made it about halfway through before we stopped.

I don't think the film holds up - giving the "Star Wars comical/ exotic aliens" treatment to Indians and Chinese falls rather flat - it plays at the same range as Breakfast at Tiffany's + some shallow mysticism. The female lead being annoying-selfish-and-two-dimensional-played-for-laughs succeeds only at being tedious and annoying. I know it's supposed to be pulp, but even so Indiana Jones does not come across as a compelling archeologist.

I wanted to make it to the iconic "swirling swords display and anti-climatic shooting" scene, but we just couldn't care enough about anything that happened. It probably doesn't help that action-adventure pacing in the 2020s is faster than it was in the 1980s.

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 11, 2024, 01:31:15 PMLooks like an FX series...dunno how that translates to Canadian.

Hulu.

Looking into it, I can get if for $8/month with ads, or $18/month without. I think if it'd been $8 without  ads I might have sprung for it. Oh well. Might read the books again though - "decently written and relatively plausible historical fiction with plenty of action, some politics, and a little bit of romance" is one of my favourite comfort genres.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on February 11, 2024, 01:34:00 PMI wanted to make it to the iconic "swirling swords display and anti-climatic shooting" scene,

Raiders.  :(