News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 08, 2024, 12:18:35 PMYes. I don't feel that's a problem.

Most people feel that having a world-famous university is a good thing.

You're entitled to feel differently, of course.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2024, 12:33:03 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 08, 2024, 12:18:35 PMYes. I don't feel that's a problem.

Most people feel that having a world-famous university is a good thing.

You're entitled to feel differently, of course.

I trust that McGill will adapt. We also have 15 other university.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

https://cwur.org/2022-23.php

McGill is ranked 28 in the world. Next best is Montreal at 117. Quite a drop. Third best is Laval at 297.

Some other key stats, McGill world rankings:

25 in Education
45 in Research

Montreal only cracks 100 in research (99) and is 457 in education.

Foresaking that seems short sighted.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on February 08, 2024, 01:05:20 PMhttps://cwur.org/2022-23.php

McGill is ranked 28 in the world. Next best is Montreal at 117. Quite a drop. Third best is Laval at 297.

25 in Education
45 in Research

The mighty University of Manitoba only ranked 283. <_<

HVC

I'm 1664 haha. To be fair they did go bankrupt in the meanwhile. Who knew property speculation was risky.

I just needed a degree for my designation and laurentian had a partnership.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Re: Universities.

When the Couillard government took power in 2014, they deregulated tuition fees for international students. Universities could now raise considerably tuition fees for international students. It also meant that, unsurprisingly, English-language universities benefitted way more from such a measure than French-language universities - and the Libs also removed one measure that allowed for perequation of some of that money throughout the Quebec university system. Of the additional 410M$ collected that way, more than 280M$ went to the three English-language universities. The whole Université du Québec system, meanwhile, got about 46M$. (Montreal, Gatineau, Rouyn-Noranda, Chicoutimi, Trois-Rivières, Rimouski). This didn't seem to trouble neither McGill nor Concordia.

The current proposed change targets all "Out-of-Quebec" students, and is aimed at reinstating measures to spread the additional amounts collected throughout the system. The measures targetting students from the ROC are aimed at offsetting what is effectively a subsidy for students who generally leave once their studies are completed.

McGill will surely raise its tuition for international students to compensate. An exception has already been announced for Bishop, which mostly attracts students from the Maritimes and New England. It's more or less Concordia that is being fucked by this - because, much like the Université du Québec's system, they tend to attract first-gen students, international students from poorer backgrounds, and students from the ROC. The government announced another exception for francophones from the ROC, but it has yet to be issued.

McGill may whine, and threaten (as well as pull out cheap stunts, like cancelling a program for the promotion of French within its walls) - but it's not going anywhere, and it's not being dismantled. 

(Also, as a McGill alumni: university rankings are BS).
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 08, 2024, 02:18:02 PMMcGill will surely raise its tuition for international students to compensate. An exception has already been announced for Bishop, which mostly attracts students from the Maritimes and New England. It's more or less Concordia that is being fucked by this - because, much like the Université du Québec's system, they tend to attract first-gen students, international students from poorer backgrounds, and students from the ROC. The government announced another exception for francophones from the ROC, but it has yet to be issued.

And there is the rub.  Prior to Minister Miller, in his wisdom, deciding to decrease the amount of foreign students who could attend universities, that may have been a viable solution for McGill. But it is not anymore.  And as you say, it is really Concordia that is going to be completely screwed - by both the provincial and federal decisions.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2024, 02:55:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2024, 12:12:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2024, 12:10:47 PMIs there someone suggesting it is innocuous?

Yes.  Trans activists.

Do you have an example you could point to?

Not going to spend hours, and wish it was a direct quote, but how's this from the NYT?

QuoteRepublican governors and lawmakers in more than a dozen states are working to limit or even criminalize the treatments, as some in their party also seek to restrict access to sports and bathrooms, ban discussion of gender in public schools, and call into question whether transgender identity even exists. (This month, the Florida medical board banned medications and surgeries for new patients under 18.) Meanwhile, the Biden administration describes transgender medicine as a civil right. And some advocates criticize anyone who questions the treatments' safety.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/14/health/puberty-blockers-transgender.html

The article itself specifically is about puberty blockers.

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on February 08, 2024, 01:05:20 PMhttps://cwur.org/2022-23.php

25 in Education
45 in Research

914 for undergraduate (Michigan Technological University, but at least I can take comfort that our rival school, Northern Michigan University didn't even make the list.)

315 for graduate (Wayne State University;) I'm guessing "Keeping it real" was weighted heavily into their algorithm.  Who knows maybe Harvard keeps it really real.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2024, 10:35:37 PMThe destruction of a leading university does seem a bit counter productive.

Genocide, destruction, ethnic cleansing, always with the charged language with you guys.  Then, we are the drama queens of Canada. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 08, 2024, 02:18:02 PMMcGill may whine, and threaten (as well as pull out cheap stunts, like cancelling a program for the promotion of French within its walls) - but it's not going anywhere, and it's not being dismantled.
I see it the same way as corporations we heavily subsidize: they threaten to leave, and they might, but those who leave are the ones who outsource their cheap operations here.  I.e., the operations they will move will go to India or other East Asian countries, not Europe or the US.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

McGill also has enough money to offer scholarships to compensate the raise in tuition. Something they call the Canada fund.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 08, 2024, 05:09:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2024, 10:35:37 PMThe destruction of a leading university does seem a bit counter productive.

Genocide, destruction, ethnic cleansing, always with the charged language with you guys.  Then, we are the drama queens of Canada. :P

Fair criticism.  It won't be destroyed, but is also unlikely to avoid adverse affects caused by the combination of the provincial and federal policies.