News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I think it is position that will attract the most support.  There are a lot less people out there who will understand the harm that will cause, or care enough to educate themselves about the issue, than people who think it just makes sense that puberty blockers should only be used after puberty occurs (without realizing how absurd that is).

Sheilbh

On CC and age/immigration point - I have no idea how this works or what it means, but Canada's shift on this chart is striking and, for me, unexpected:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Yeah, that is the problem. We now have a rapidly aging population.

It's not so unexpected. Economist were predicting this back in the 90s.  But what is unexpected is the extent to which the immigration policies of our federal government have exacerbated the problem.

We thought we were addressing the demographic problem through immigration, but it turns out the reverse is true.

That is not to say that immigration is bad, it's just that we have to be more careful about the unintended consequences of things like family reunification.

HVC

Wonder if McGill can pull a Bank of Montreal and move to ontario :P . Probably not Toronto,  full of universities already. Oakville?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

The destruction of a leading university does seem a bit counter productive.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2024, 10:35:37 PMThe destruction of a leading university does seem a bit counter productive.

I don't buy that rethoric at all. They now have to compete against other Canadian universities without been much cheaper. They'll adapt.

Quebec's university system is extremely subsidized and I am, like a lot of tax payers, not keen on paying for Anglo-Canadians education when a majority of them do not stick around Quebec after their education is completed.

crazy canuck

Not sure what your source of information is.  From what I have been reading since the province made its decision, they won't be at all competitive.  It will just be the rich out of province students who could pay those rates. 

And those families are much more likely to send their kids to US schools.

So now it will be a university that gets smart in province students and the out of province rich kids who couldn't get in elsewhere.

The changes won't be immediate but over time academic standards are going to have to adjust to ensure the university can keep sufficient numbers of those lower academic quality rich kids to keep the lights on.

The alternative is dramatically increased provincial funding.

I hope it's the latter.

Good luck

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2024, 08:09:13 AMNot sure what your source of information is.  From what I have been reading since the province made its decision, they won't be at all competitive.  It will just be the rich out of province students who could pay those rates. 

And those families are much more likely to send their kids to US schools.

So now it will be a university that gets smart in province students and the out of province rich kids who couldn't get in elsewhere.

The changes won't be immediate but over time academic standards are going to have to adjust to ensure the university can keep sufficient numbers of those lower academic quality rich kids to keep the lights on.

The alternative is dramatically increased provincial funding.

I hope it's the latter.

Good luck

If 3k$/semester (on average) more is making people go to schools in the US. I have vastly over estimated the cost of US education.

crazy canuck

The issue isn't that is as expensive as an American school. It's not. But it is more expensive than higher rated universities in Canada.  And so out of province, students are going to go to those other Canadian universities.  Or at least the portion of out of province students that all Canadian universities compete for.

I think you also underestimate what I am talking about when I referred to the wealthy students. For those students, the difference in tuition between US schools, and McGill is barely a bump in the road.  And so there is no great reason to choose McGill over an American school.

Your provincial government has effectively created a dead zone for McGill to recruit out of province students.

crazy canuck

Looked up tuition for out of province Canadians at U of T.  It's a little under 7k.  At McGill it has gone from 9 to 12 k.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 07, 2024, 03:13:16 PMhttps://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-transgender-puberty-blockers-1.7107486

PP is saying he's against puberty blockers for minors.

So, umm... there's kind of no point to using puberty blockers on anyone other than minors...

BUt that being said - puberty blockers are not new drugs.  They've been around for decades.  They're used to treat "precocious puberty" - which is when children start puberty much younger than normal.  They're well understood in that situation.

HOWEVER - their use in adolescents as part of a medical gender transition is new.  It's one thing to delay a 6 year old's precocious puberty until they are a more normal age - it's another to delay a normal puberty.

They should be studied, I certainly wouldn't support a ban - but they're not as innocuous as trans activists like to portray.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2024, 09:58:49 AMThe issue isn't that is as expensive as an American school. It's not. But it is more expensive than higher rated universities in Canada.  And so out of province, students are going to go to those other Canadian universities.  Or at least the portion of out of province students that all Canadian universities compete for.

I think you also underestimate what I am talking about when I referred to the wealthy students. For those students, the difference in tuition between US schools, and McGill is barely a bump in the road.  And so there is no great reason to choose McGill over an American school.

Your provincial government has effectively created a dead zone for McGill to recruit out of province students.

Yes. I don't feel that's a problem.