Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2024, 02:44:13 PMI don't think it's necessarily unreasonable.

It's something big that you genuinely want but in the context of a wider deal, depending on what you get elsewhere, it's something you know you can concede on. If you're not getting anywhere on your other points then it could be the one you have a big fight over.

Neither the size or whether you really want it do not figure into the reasonableness.

Your opinion seems to be in the minority.

Sheilbh

Fair enough - although as with every other threatened tube strike in the last year, it's now been called off (well suspended) as there's been progress in negotiations.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

QuoteSo far every recent threatened Tube strike (and we have very strict laws so it's tougher to call a strike here than probably anywhere else in the free world - which Labour should change if they win) has actually been called off because there's been negotiating progress.
All being right in the world absolutely.
But this seems politically very risky to me.

In other news going around is this 'fluff' piece about Starmer being worried about the impact of things on his kids. Which sounds really great to me. It is a concern. Big fingers crossed cunts on both sides don't target Starmer or Sunak's kids.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-67905341

His kids go to state school too. Huh. Thats good.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2024, 03:52:20 PMFair enough - although as with every other threatened tube strike in the last year, it's now been called off (well suspended) as there's been progress in negotiations.

The brinkmankship is so wonderful. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on January 08, 2024, 04:14:16 AM
QuoteSo far every recent threatened Tube strike (and we have very strict laws so it's tougher to call a strike here than probably anywhere else in the free world - which Labour should change if they win) has actually been called off because there's been negotiating progress.
His kids go to state school too. Huh. Thats good.

Don't they basically have to so as to avoid claims that he doesn't think state schools are good enough?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2024, 04:36:24 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2024, 03:52:20 PMFair enough - although as with every other threatened tube strike in the last year, it's now been called off (well suspended) as there's been progress in negotiations.

And entirely one side's fault?

Presumably nothing has fundamentally changed for TfL between Friday and Sunday.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2024, 04:39:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2024, 04:36:24 AM

And entirely one side's fault?

Presumably nothing has fundamentally changed for TfL between Friday and Sunday.

That's a bit of a harsh take on RMT's histrionics but I won't disagree. ;)

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

More seriously, something did change for TfL as the mayor intervened to release funds.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/07/london-underground-tube-strike-called-off

QuoteThe RMT union announced that it had suspended its planned action after talks with Transport for London (TfL), after the mayor of London apparently made new funds available.

However, Khan's 11th-hour intervention appears to have been a surprise to TfL negotiators. A TfL spokesperson said: "Last week we discussed our pay offer extensively with the three trade unions that had rejected it, making clear that TfL cannot afford any more. This remains the case.

"Today, we were made aware that the mayor was able to provide additional funds to enable discussions with the unions to continue. We have all consistently made clear that strike action is bad for everyone and would have a negative impact on the city as it recovers from the pandemic."

HVC

Wonder what department lost money in this shuffle?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Admiral Yi

Please tell me more about gap year.

I watch The Crown S6P2 and William decides to take a gap year.  The things he does are all organized, commercialized, and sound pricey. And he does a bunch of them. I had this vague notion of gap year being hitchhiking to hostels.

Is what he does standard for the upper middle class, or is it a 1% activity?  How much do parents shell out for these boutique gap years?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2024, 01:40:00 PMPlease tell me more about gap year.

I watch The Crown S6P2 and William decides to take a gap year.  The things he does are all organized, commercialized, and sound pricey. And he does a bunch of them. I had this vague notion of gap year being hitchhiking to hostels.

Is what he does standard for the upper middle class, or is it a 1% activity?  How much do parents shell out for these boutique gap years?

When I was at uni I ran into tonnes of toffs who had done this sort of gap year yes. It's pretty standard for them.
No idea on the funding arrangements. I think they get a tonne of money when they're 18 and that's what they use? As doesn't sit right parents would be paying directly for the debauchery
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2024, 01:40:00 PMPlease tell me more about gap year.

The concept of a gap year has been pretty common in North American for a while now.

Jacob

Gap year = one year break in schooling before committing to a "final" higher education choice that potentially defines the rest of your life.

How that gap year is filled depends on individual interests and personality, social class, money, etc. Travel is popular (get a sense of perspective and finding yourself and all that), but the style of travel will vary based on independent means. Gap years can often be funded by working abroad via things like working holiday visas and the like.

But very rich people are obviously going to do things that cost money, confirm their status, and is appealing to them. That doesn't necessarily reflect what everyone else may do.

HVC

Not sure about now, but gap year became super popular in Ontario in the aftermath of axing grade 13 back in early 2000.