What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 27, 2023, 07:05:32 PMI'll be honest, if the future of the Democratic party are people like Rashida Tlaib who are virulent anti-Semites / Muslim terrorists, I would probably just vote for a Republican dictatorship and let it fall where it may.

She always has been, and will always be, a fringe person.

But just the fact that the future of our country is being allowed to be dictated by this bullshit in the Middle East just pisses me off so much. This is not our fight and we should have nothing to do with it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 28, 2023, 12:10:37 AMShe always has been, and will always be, a fringe person.

Otto's thesis, if he will allow me to speak for him, is that the current 18 to 29 yr olds support Gaza/Hamas.  If they maintain their current world view at some point that view will constitute a voting majority. US policy will tilt that way.

Which might not necessarily be a bad thing.

Solmyr

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 27, 2023, 07:05:32 PMI'll be honest, if the future of the Democratic party are people like Rashida Tlaib who are virulent anti-Semites / Muslim terrorists, I would probably just vote for a Republican dictatorship and let it fall where it may.

And here we see why Trump is winning. Destruction of the country is an acceptable price to pay to own the libs.

jimmy olsen

Maine kicked Trump off the ballot

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/28/politics/trump-maine-14th-amendment-ballot/index.html

Quote from: Elie MystalReading through the Maine opinion and one thing that always strikes me is how shoddy and unserious Trump's lawyers always seem to be.
Like, they barely try. They co-counsel contradicts each other. They don't seem to know all the rules. They just appear really bad.
https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1740527829417165118

Quote from: Kyle CheneyBREAKING: Maine Secretary of State rules Trump is ineligible to appear on 2024 ballot. 34-page decision: https://t.co/C5FNm0zqpl
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1740521852454511065

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Like Joan I think the chances of the SC upholding these decisions is none to none but it would be a weird situation if Trump won the overall primary and was duly placed on the general election ballot.  I suppose Maine et al would then feel bound to remove him from that ballot as well.  Or if he wins, Maine et al would be bound to not recognize his election as valid.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2023, 03:05:57 AMOtto's thesis, if he will allow me to speak for him, is that the current 18 to 29 yr olds support Gaza/Hamas
18 to 29 years old rioted against the Vietnam war.  Later in their life they supported invading Iraq twice over.

18 to 29 years old lived in communes, practicing polygamy and smoking spot.  Later in their lives, they waged war on drugs and defended Christian values of traditional family.

I don't think you can derive a trend with certitude from what current 18 to 29 years old protest today.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

I'll be honest, it doesn't surprise me that you'd prefer a right-wing dictator to someone who calls a scumbag a scumbag.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Rashida Tlaib is essentially part of the Hamas propaganda wing--yes, I would take a "soft" conservative dictatorship over Hamas running the country.

Mind you, I don't imagine Rashida Tlaib is emblematic of the Democratic party's future, so hopefully this is all speculative.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 29, 2023, 10:13:43 AMRashida Tlaib is essentially part of the Hamas propaganda wing--yes, I would take a "soft" conservative dictatorship over Hamas running the country.

Mind you, I don't imagine Rashida Tlaib is emblematic of the Democratic party's future, so hopefully this is all speculative.

Being anti-Zionist does not make Rashida Tlaib a "part of the Hamas propaganda wing."  I think that she is wrong on many of her stances, but not on anti-Zionism.  As you note, however, she is not emblematic of the Democratic Party's future.  The Zionist lobby (not the Jewish lobby or even the Israeli lobby, but the Zionist one) has won the lobbying war and there's not a lot that Israel can do that will meet censure in the US political system.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

1. Zionism is an absolute moral imperative and just in every respect. Peaceful Jewish migration is not colonization.

2. Tlaib is far worse than simply being "anti-Zionist."

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 29, 2023, 04:38:56 PMPeaceful Jewish migration is not colonization.
You have a weird definition of peaceful.

So, how's the MAGA wall going?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 29, 2023, 04:38:56 PM1. Zionism is an absolute moral imperative and just in every respect. Peaceful Jewish migration is not colonization.

2. Tlaib is far worse than simply being "anti-Zionist."

1. Zionism, like all theological political movements, is abhorrent to modern thinking.  Iran's Islamism shows us what the future of Zionism will look like.

2. Tlaib can speak for herself, and has done so.  You cannot speak for her.

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Eh? I don't think Zionism is theological?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on December 29, 2023, 11:08:18 PMEh? I don't think Zionism is theological?

A thought experiment, if there was no religious text or tradition describing the conquest and settlement what justification would there be for peoples if the Jewish faith creating the modern state of Israel?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 30, 2023, 11:23:24 AM
Quote from: Jacob on December 29, 2023, 11:08:18 PMEh? I don't think Zionism is theological?

A thought experiment, if there was no religious text or tradition describing the conquest and settlement what justification would there be for peoples if the Jewish faith creating the modern state of Israel?

Same as Kurds Kurdistan--they were a historically stateless people, and suffered some consequences for that that we all used to admit were extreme (but apparently many of us no longer consider relevant.)

The Ottoman Empire was not an "indigenous" country, it was a regional power, long established, relatively modern etc. The landowners in the OE sold the land, it wasn't colonization--it was legal land purchase in a country willing to allow it. There was virtually no comparison to the colonization of indigenous lands in other contexts.

When the OE collapsed and was put under mandate control, the Jews had as much right to whatever other groups were in the Ottoman Empire. Few people think the British and French did a great job of carving out the successor states, but only in the case of Israel is there some weird moral narrative that Israel is invalid because it was carved out of former Ottoman lands...because some people who lived there didn't like it. That category of people includes a huge % of former Ottoman peoples in the various countries carved out of it--many saw large population transfers or even genocides (see: Armenians.)

If Israel has no right to exist neither does Syria, Jordan etc.