What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on December 19, 2023, 08:36:34 PMSo my understanding is that if Trump appeals and loses at the Supreme Court, then he'll have been found to have engaged in insurrection and be ineligible to be President - meaning he'll likely be removed from all GOP primary ballots, throwing the primary wide open. Alternately, I suppose the GOP could defy the Supreme Court for their primaries, which would result in a bit of a constitutional crisis I expect.

Is that correct?

And what are the odds that the Supreme Court will find for or against Trump during a potential appeal?

He would be appealing the Colorado decision.  If he loses presumably each state would need to make its own decision.  They would have the precedent, but I don't think it would be automatic.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on December 19, 2023, 08:36:34 PMAnd what are the odds that the Supreme Court will find for or against Trump during a potential appeal?

Supreme Court will reverse with 98% probability, most likely by defining insurrection narrowly to mean armed rebellion.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 20, 2023, 03:43:32 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 19, 2023, 08:36:34 PMAnd what are the odds that the Supreme Court will find for or against Trump during a potential appeal?

Supreme Court will reverse with 98% probability, most likely by defining insurrection narrowly to mean armed rebellion.

How many insurrectionists had to armed to classify as an armed rebellion?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 20, 2023, 01:22:42 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 19, 2023, 08:36:34 PMSo my understanding is that if Trump appeals and loses at the Supreme Court, then he'll have been found to have engaged in insurrection and be ineligible to be President - meaning he'll likely be removed from all GOP primary ballots, throwing the primary wide open. Alternately, I suppose the GOP could defy the Supreme Court for their primaries, which would result in a bit of a constitutional crisis I expect.

Is that correct?

And what are the odds that the Supreme Court will find for or against Trump during a potential appeal?

He would be appealing the Colorado decision.  If he loses presumably each state would need to make its own decision.  They would have the precedent, but I don't think it would be automatic.

I don't believe that you are correct.  The state and state courts must defer to the USSC when applying US Constitutional law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

In a surprising turn, the Supreme Court will overturn the ruling, but will rule that Trump is ineligible to be on the ballot because he was actually the winner in 2020.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 20, 2023, 05:15:02 PMIn a surprising turn, the Supreme Court will overturn the ruling, but will rule that Trump is ineligible to be on the ballot because he was actually the winner in 2020.

:D

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on December 20, 2023, 03:52:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 20, 2023, 01:22:42 PM

Is that correct?

I don't believe that you are correct.  The state and state courts must defer to the USSC when applying US Constitutional law.

Thanks for the correction

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: HVC on December 20, 2023, 03:50:52 PMHow many insurrectionists had to armed to classify as an armed rebellion?

At least one more than was present at the Capitol.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

crazy canuck

One more thing he has in common with Trump.

Savonarola

Christmas wishes from Donald Trump:

Quote"THEY SPIED ON MY CAMPAIGN, LIED TO CONGRESS, CHEATED ON FISA, RIGGED A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION, ALLOWED MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, MANY FROM PRISONS & MENTAL INSTITUTIONS, TO INVADE OUR COUNTRY, SCREWED UP IN AFGHANISTAN, & JOE BIDEN'S MISFITS & THUGS, LIKE DERANGED JACK SMITH, ARE COMING AFTER ME, AT LEVELS OF PERSECUTION NEVER SEEN BEFORE IN OUR COUNTRY??? IT'S CALLED ELECTION INTERFERENCE. MERRY CHRISTMAS!" Trump posted on Christmas Eve.

May God bless us one and all!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I've got a fevah, and the only cuah is more ALL CAPS.

The Minsky Moment

THEY SENT THREE ROTTING GHOSTS TO KEEP ME UP ALL NIGHT, RIGGED A FAKE HEADSTONE, ALLOWED MILLIONS OF DRUG DEALING TERRORIST PAUPERS TO ESCAPE THE WORKHOUSES AND INVADE OUR CITIES, PUT UP LYING LIDDLE TIM WITH HIS FAKE CRUTCHES TO PERSECUTE ME. But don't worry YOUR FAVORITE SCROOGE will FIGHT the EVIL DERANGED CHARITY LOBBY and protect the LAFFER CURVE. MERRY HUMBUG!  - Ebenezer Trump
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

It never ceases to astonish that there are tens of millions of Americans who read this stuff, and instead of thinking "lunatic asylum", think "President"
--Joan Robinson