News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 08, 2023, 04:34:18 PMWe found something we can agree on  :D

When the Charter was first being applied, the courts were careful to not step over the resource allocation threshold.  But that caution is now long gone.

Well that was unexpected. :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I think that decision will be interesting in Quebec when it comes to immigrants and English language schooling.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 08, 2023, 07:02:58 PMI think that decision will be interesting in Quebec when it comes to immigrants and English language schooling.

Good point, but it is likely the Quebec government would use the Notwithstanding Clause.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 08, 2023, 02:44:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 08, 2023, 01:56:04 PMhttps://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-naturopath-adriana-lagrange-rob-roth-primary-care-1.7049522

Alberta government is meeting with naturopaths to consider wider role in primary health care.  In particular they want to be able to prescribe some drugs.

This of course seems like something right up Danielle Smith's alley.  She was supportive of ivermectin as a Covid treatment for example.

So I'm pretty opposed to Naturopaths - they mostly provide a whole series of quack treatments with no scientific background.

But I mean I could see some slight benefit from being able to go to a naturopath much more quickly in order to get a prescription for, I dunno, antibiotics or a topical cream or something.

But what I would fear is naturoapths handing out prescriptions for the next ivermectin with no basis to do so.

Probably better to send them to pharmacists - the BC government allowed pharmacists to prescribe a fairly wide range of medications that has cut down on the routine things that docs used to have to deal with.

Same in Ontario
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zoupa

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 08, 2023, 04:32:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 08, 2023, 04:25:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 08, 2023, 03:25:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 08, 2023, 03:21:45 PMCC, if you read the article it cites BC as a jurisdiction where naturopaths can write prescriptions.

Not without getting further training they don't.  You need to read the legislation rather than the headline.

Are you able to give me the "Coles Notes" version of the legislation?

They need to get a further certification to be able to prescribe which is similar to pharmacy training.  But the list of things they can prescribe for is more limited than pharmacists. 

It is not, in any way, similar to pharmacy training.

crazy canuck

That's an interesting observation, since the training is related to the prescription of medication.

It is certainly not the same as a pharmacy degree.

But there are similarities.

Zoupa

There are also similarities between a chair and a horse.

Things might have changed since my studies, but out of about 200 credits worth of classes, we had a 1 credit class during our first semester about natural remedies. I don't remember anything about it, apart from the prof saying it's all bullshit, since we've long since taken the ones who work and made them into medication.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on December 11, 2023, 10:30:39 AMThere are also similarities between a chair and a horse.

Things might have changed since my studies, but out of about 200 credits worth of classes, we had a 1 credit class during our first semester about natural remedies. I don't remember anything about it, apart from the prof saying it's all bullshit, since we've long since taken the ones who work and made them into medication.

Yes, and that is why Naturopaths need to take further training in order to be able to qualify to prescribe the limited medications the new regulation allows them to prescribe.

I think you are reading in a claim that is not being made - ie that the training they will receive is in any way equivalent to the training a pharmacist receives through this new program.

Zoupa

You wrote the training was similar, but now say it's in no way equivalent. I'm sure you can see the confusion, as equivalent and similar are synonyms.

crazy canuck

It must be a translation issue.

I have no desire to debate semantics.  If you are interested go look at the new certification requirements and feel free to pursue your concerns through your College.

Zoupa

Ah yes, a translation issue, must be the dumb franco who doesn't understand your shining intellect.

"They need to get a further certification to be able to prescribe which is similar to pharmacy training. "

"I think you are reading in a claim that is not being made - ie that the training they will receive is in any way equivalent to the training a pharmacist receives through this new program."

It's not debating semantics when you write opposite statements, then argue that it must be me not translating it properly.

It's ok to be wrong, cc. You're allowed to write "my bad, I don't really know about this subject" without telling me to speak white.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on December 11, 2023, 02:08:01 PMAh yes, a translation issue, must be the dumb franco who doesn't understand your shining intellect.

I was thinking more along the lines that I was not clearly communicating what was happening.

I am not wrong about what is happening.

If you had spent as much energy as it took to draft your responses in this thread toward looking up the training that is necessary for the additional certificate needed, and you could explain why you think that additional training is not sufficient, then we would probably have something interesting to talk about.

Zoupa

I did the training less than 2 years ago to get certified in BC as a pharmacist. I read the pdf on the training needed for naturopaths to prescribe in BC.

I'm gonna hazard an educated guess that you did neither of these things.

I do not lecture you on law matters. In this instance, you are wrong and wrote statements with opposite meanings. That is all.

I can tell you I will not be consulting any naturopaths about anything, and I encourage everyone to do the same, in BC, Alberta or elsewhere.

Jacob

I'm very unlikely to be consulting natureopaths on drug prescriptions - or anything else, to be honest. Still, I'd be curious to know a bit more about the new natureopath training in contrast with the one for pharmacists. Mostly because I'm sure I'm going to come across someone who's less sceptical than me and I'd be able to refer to facts in discussion with them.

Jacob

In other news, it appears we'll be getting a national dental program for low and middle income folks - initially starting with children and seniors, but potentially expanding over time.

It'll be interesting to see how that develops.