Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 08, 2023, 11:45:57 AM:lol: 

However that's not NIMYBism public opinion stopping elected or appointed boards from authorizing housings and other improvements. Which, to me, seems to be the regular UK opposition.

Less public opinion and more a handful of people with a lot of free time and a fear of anything new.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Ireland has more space to develop than the UK?

Otherwise, the documentary Rockenrolla covered this topic in regards to London.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on December 08, 2023, 01:42:44 PMIreland has more space to develop than the UK?

Otherwise, the documentary Rockenrolla covered this topic in regards to London.
1/3 of the size and 1/10 of the population.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on December 08, 2023, 02:37:06 PM1/3 of the size and 1/10 of the population.
Why's the population so small? <_<

:lol: Irish revenue authorities are now going after those brothers for not declaring their shakedown income.

I suspect that's the only route for prosecution so it makes sense. But still, good to know that if you are running a scam at least have the decency to tell the taxman.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

I thought this was really interestinng - and I agree with Rachman that re-joining will be a decades long political fight (which I'm not sure re-joiners are fully preparing for).

But reinforces my view that not much is about Brexit, and I might even go further and say even Brexit isn't about Brexit :lol: It seems like what decisively shifted attitudes towards Brexit is a combination of the cost of living crisis and Partygate/attitudes to the goverment/Tories:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2023, 02:10:17 AM
Quote from: Josquius on December 08, 2023, 02:37:06 PM1/3 of the size and 1/10 of the population.
Why's the population so small? <_<

Joke? :unsure:

Quote:lol: Irish revenue authorities are now going after those brothers for not declaring their shakedown income.

I suspect that's the only route for prosecution so it makes sense. But still, good to know that if you are running a scam at least have the decency to tell the taxman.
I guess good they get them. Though depressing they don't take this as a kick to fix the system.
At the least putting in a living within 20km or so rule.

QuoteI thought this was really interestinng - and I agree with Rachman that re-joining will be a decades long political fight (which I'm not sure re-joiners are fully preparing for).

Define rejoining.
I can see a Swiss/Norwegian style setup being feasible much sooner than many think.  The barrier there is getting a good deal from Europe rather than on the British side (assuming a Labour majority)
It's the perfect setup really, accurately reflects the results of the referendum and gets most of the benefits without actually having to rejoin.

QuoteBut reinforces my view that not much is about Brexit, and I might even go further and say even Brexit isn't about Brexit :lol: It seems like what decisively shifted attitudes towards Brexit is a combination of the cost of living crisis and Partygate/attitudes to the goverment/Tories:
Oh yes. Brexit was fundamentally the wrong answer to the wrong question. Its key to what makes it so doubly painful. Its not like for most it was a rational decision to leave the EU out of the belief that was the key to solving all our problems. It was seeing it as a referendum on whatever they didn't like about the government- Cameron really should have supported leave.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I always like how rejoining is discussed how post-leave trade arrangements were discussed the years after Brexit: as if the other EU countries weren't even there.

Sheilbh

Sorry it was a Martin Wolf point (though I think Rachman has written something similar recently). I think that is very much part of his argument:
https://www.ft.com/content/9c2df35f-555a-4c34-84e6-93e125d6c410

Though I think current round of articles is inspired by VDL's comment that the UK is on a clear direction of travel to re-join. (In part I think this is possibly just also reflecting the "end of history", liberal telos that I think is still baked into the EU? :hmm:)
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Chuck Tingle warned us all in 2016:

https://www.amazon.com/Pounded-Pound-Socioeconomic-Implications-European-ebook/dp/B01HJXVP8G

QuotePounded By The Pound: Turned Gay By The Socioeconomic Implications Of Britain Leaving The European Union

When Alex learns that Britain has decided to leave the European Union, he's shocked by just hold normal everything seems. But the calm doesn't last as Alex is suddenly accosted by a giant living coin from the not so distant future.

In this horrific future where Britain has left the EU, four story busses lie strewn about the streets of London after a failed plan to cut costs, the Queen's Guard have been replaced by flying reptiles with machine guns and the River Thames runs red with molten lava.

Now Alex and his handsome sentient pound must travel back to the past and sway the vote for European solidarity, by proving that all you need is love.

This erotic tale is 4,200 words of sizzling human on monetary unit action, including anal, blowjobs, rough sex, cream pies and living pound love.

Then again, Chuck Tingle may be the greatest wordsmith alive today (I still have to ready any of his books, hence "may".).

You can check his bibliography here: https://www.chucktingle.com/ebook.html
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on December 11, 2023, 05:19:01 AMI always like how rejoining is discussed how post-leave trade arrangements were discussed the years after Brexit: as if the other EU countries weren't even there.

Quite. Could, for example, we join without adopting the Euro?

In any event, saying it was wrong to leave the EU is not the same as wanting to rejoin. A lot has changed in 7.5 years including in the EU itself.

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 11, 2023, 03:08:51 AMI thought this was really interestinng - and I agree with Rachman that re-joining will be a decades long political fight (which I'm not sure re-joiners are fully preparing for).

But reinforces my view that not much is about Brexit, and I might even go further and say even Brexit isn't about Brexit :lol: It seems like what decisively shifted attitudes towards Brexit is a combination of the cost of living crisis and Partygate/attitudes to the goverment/Tories:
Nothing may ever be blamed on Brexit. Not even people disliking Brexit.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on December 11, 2023, 12:19:42 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 11, 2023, 03:08:51 AMI thought this was really interestinng - and I agree with Rachman that re-joining will be a decades long political fight (which I'm not sure re-joiners are fully preparing for).

Definitely. And most definitely Brexit was not a case of the British nation going full retard. That never happens. It's a nonevent.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on December 11, 2023, 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: Zanza on December 11, 2023, 12:19:42 PM

Definitely. And most definitely Brexit was not a case of the British nation going full retard. That never happens. It's a nonevent.

The only related event: the people has spoken!  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on December 11, 2023, 11:59:03 AMQuite. Could, for example, we join without adopting the Euro?

In any event, saying it was wrong to leave the EU is not the same as wanting to rejoin. A lot has changed in 7.5 years including in the EU itself.
Yeah - as Wolf says you can't step into the same river twice. Not clear how either the UK or the EU will develop and can see reasons to think it might be good or bad on both sides.

QuoteNothing may ever be blamed on Brexit. Not even people disliking Brexit.
:lol: Although seriously I think Brexit is now in a sort of mirror image of the EU pre-referendum.

For a relatively small but devoted group the cause of all the country's ills/a catastrophe, for another relatively small group a really important signifier of identity that is outsized to its practical effects. And they're all kind of right. The polls, incidentally, echo that similarity with attitudes to the EU - the people who care most about Brexit (on both sides) are basically the middle-aged.

Separately listend to podcast with Paul Goodman who is normally my go to guide on what the Tory party are thinking - and I feel like I'd underestimated how much peril Sunak is in. In his view it's pretty finely balanced if he leads the party into the next election (and you can, slightly, see why). His view was also that it's not quite 50/50 but there's a reasonable chance the government basically collapses (an 80 seat majority government :blink:) and which would mean an earlier than expected election.

Also this slightly blew my mind - as ever no-one lost money betting on the authoritarian-ness of the British public. During covid there was always a solid 30% who basically wanted lockdown forever. Turns out they're still here (more millenials wanting all nightclubs shut down than their parents is particularly :huh:):

Edit: Also - there is nothing stopping people wearing masks and significantly fewer than 50% of people do :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

What's the story of Sunak's peril? Who's going to shank him and why?