News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Although this reminds me of my favourite customer. Guy was from Guyana buying piece of equipment. Couple hundred grand. Wanted to pay cash (tax avoidance), asked for the offcuts of pipe and other metal (to sell for scrap), but the best part is he came with his mistress and asked us not mention anything about another person with him to his secretary who was arranging the shipping details (his daughter). Guy was a hoot :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

On people from Guyana, my godmother's half-Guyanese and her dad is an incredible character. He's a very charming man in his 80s or 90s now but was a merchant seaman.

I think she has 8-10 half-siblings across a 50 year age range (at least in Liverpool) and yet they all get on as one massive very broad family with him as a slightly disreputable patriarch :lol:

Edit: But I think it's very much to his credit that he has a good relationship with all his kids, and I think exes (at least in one port city).
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Guy was charming too, and very proud of his mistress :D . If he caught you looking, not even checking out, just look in her general direction he'd smile and wink at you :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 30, 2023, 06:54:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2023, 10:36:00 PMTexas needs Louisville to upset FSU in the ACC title game. Oh and beat Oklahoma State.

Good luck against Iowa. First to 10 points wins.

I'd love to see UM-Texas meet in the playoff.  FSU just doesn't have the resume to make me want to see them get in.

UM and UT meet in Ann Arbor next September, so we'll see them clash regardless of the playoff picture.

Looking forward to it either way.

If Texas wins on Saturday I will be a Louisville Cardinals fan in the evening.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 29, 2023, 08:10:22 PMAs discussed a number of times, I think the Women's game is superior for people who appreciate basketball fundamentals and team play (on both defence and offence).  The men's game devolves quickly into hero ball.  Watching a lot of one on one play gets boring.  There are exceptions - the Warriors teams of old are a good example of the Men's game being fun to watch.  And there are still college programs that are also more team oriented.  By if you like the team game, Women's round ball is the game for you.

In addition to my obvious bias, this is one of the reasons I'm loving FAU so much over the past two seasons.  There isn't really any hero ball.  Nobody is averaging more than 28 minutes a game, but 7 are averaging over 22.  Scoring is a similarly flat distribution between the top 8 guys.  It's a great contrast from the way men's teams are typically built in the NCAA.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 30, 2023, 08:33:56 AMVia Gerard Araud so hopefully reliable - but WTF:
https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1729891923043746048?s=46&t=o9GOIj6BKKcLcHiyQTlAoA

Venezuela massing troops on Guyanese border, and Brazil's military on high alert as fears Venezuela might invade (as they claim a lot of Guyana's territory).

For some reason I had a bunch of r/guyana threads pop up on my reddit feed a little while ago and it seems there's been tension brewing for some time.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 30, 2023, 10:36:57 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 29, 2023, 08:10:22 PMAs discussed a number of times, I think the Women's game is superior for people who appreciate basketball fundamentals and team play (on both defence and offence).  The men's game devolves quickly into hero ball.  Watching a lot of one on one play gets boring.  There are exceptions - the Warriors teams of old are a good example of the Men's game being fun to watch.  And there are still college programs that are also more team oriented.  By if you like the team game, Women's round ball is the game for you.

In addition to my obvious bias, this is one of the reasons I'm loving FAU so much over the past two seasons.  There isn't really any hero ball.  Nobody is averaging more than 28 minutes a game, but 7 are averaging over 22.  Scoring is a similarly flat distribution between the top 8 guys.  It's a great contrast from the way men's teams are typically built in the NCAA.

I will make a point of watching their games  :)

Sheilbh

In Istanbul for a long weekend. I knew it was a thing, but my flat was absolutely full of (mainly Asian) lads talking about what cosmetic procedure they were going to get done :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Procedures like "how do I look more like a Korean model" type stuff?

Sheilbh

No - sorry South Asian mainly. Teeth whitening, crowns, hair transplants, nose jobs etc.

It's definitely something I'd heard about but had no idea it was this big. Like multiple groups of mates/20 something lads going out to get stuff done/for consultation.

Guy sat behind me who was Algerian said it was his 7th trip and was chatting to someone else who was on his first (for cosmetics) and advised him that he shouldn't speak English or the prices will double or triple. So the other guy told all his mates to only speak Bengali at the clinic :lol:

(Obvs slightly concerned about the body image expectations/views. But trying not to think about that too much...)
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Only time I hear about Turkish procedures are the horror story stuff. Same with Mexico.

Also, Jacob I think you accidentally pinned this.

Sheilbh

I think the horror stories are because they're so popular. I feel like I first heard of it with footballers - I want to say Rooney did his hair transplant in Turkey.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 30, 2023, 11:26:29 PMI think the horror stories are because they're so popular. I feel like I first heard of it with footballers - I want to say Rooney did his hair transplant in Turkey.

I feel for my folliclely challenged comrades in arms, but buzz or shaved is the way to go. The balding look migh not appeal to all, but it's 100 times better then a botched job.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on November 30, 2023, 11:24:02 PMAlso, Jacob I think you accidentally pinned this.

Uh... okay :huh:

In any case, I unpinned it.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on November 30, 2023, 11:30:35 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 30, 2023, 11:26:29 PMI think the horror stories are because they're so popular. I feel like I first heard of it with footballers - I want to say Rooney did his hair transplant in Turkey.

I feel for my folliclely challenged comrades in arms, but buzz or shaved is the way to go. The balding look migh not appeal to all, but it's 100 times better then a botched job.

Surely worth trying the transplant then if it looks shit you can just shave anyway?
██████
██████
██████