News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2023, 04:44:08 PMAlthough the slight caveat I'd make is that (and I assume this is the case) it better exclude wartime support and post-war reconstruction for Ukraine. Otherwise I'd think it was wrong and flip to dirty trick and, frankly, disgraceful politicising of an issue that has strong support.

From the article that doesn't seem to be the case.

crazy canuck

I really wish you guys had access to the globe and mail.

I am out of gifted links, so I can't share the articles with you, but the Ukrainian embassy has just gone out of its way to say that the conservative allegations are not true and that there is no such requirement in the free trade agreement. This is just flat out misinformation by the Conservatives.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2023, 08:58:50 PMFor those of you who do subscribe to the newspaper here is the link.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-revised-canada-ukraine-free-trade-agreement-does-not-contain-carbon/
I've read it in La Presse, but I did not know what the story was about.  What a weird week for Poilièvre.

He talked of a terrorist attack about the car explosion yesterday, and when called on it, he blamed the media... Except the only Canadian media who cited "Canadian officials" about a terror attack was CTV, about 10 minutes after Poilièvre mentionned it...  CBC did not make any mention of terrorism, only of an explosion at the border, a story under development, made no talk of "unnamed government officials".

So, he took his information from Fox News, which was the only North American media to talk of a terror attack at the time.

And now, this bogus story.

He was on a winning streak lately.   Largely due to Liberal incompetence and because he had kept his own mouth shut.  I wonder if, the more he talks, the more Canadians will turn away from him and seek another alternative?  

But where?  I see no leader in our parties. We are deep in an environmental crisis, lots of people say they are concerned about the environment, but the Greens have been misplaced somewhere in the Rockies maybe?

The NDP have been doing their damn best to stay irrelevant by allying themselves with every single bad Liberal policy and extracting two awful promises from them that intrudes on provincial responsibilities, instead of working with the provinces.

While the PQ has been climbing steadily in Quebec and its leader and his supporters wants us to think it's because Quebecers are enticed with a newfound patriotic fervour, the Bloc Québécois isn't benefiting one bit of all the attention gained by the PQ lately.  Which would prove that its recent success at the polls is more of a protest vote against the ineptness of the CAQ (they have been good during the pandemic, but since then, outside of their proposed healthcare reform, I have trouble finding redemption for this former party of mine) who seems to have turned into another Liberal Party of Quebec, minus the corruption.

Ah, well.  Mad Max has also been lost somewhere in the Prairies after a triumphant victory speech when his candidate finish 3rd or 4th at the last by election.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

I agree on all points.

The but where question is very depressing.

As a side note, I wish I could read La Presse.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2023, 09:42:19 AMAs a side note, I wish I could read La Presse.

It's free.  :whistle:

Automated translation is getting better.  Not as good as a native writer, but getting better.  There are modules in most browsers now to translate pages.  Give it a try. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: viper37 on November 24, 2023, 10:11:52 AMAutomated translation is getting better.  Not as good as a native writer, but getting better.  There are modules in most browsers now to translate pages.  Give it a try. :)
Total aside but automated translation is incredible now. It's a real "we're in the future" thing. I was on holiday in Bulgaria and you can use the camera on your phone with Google Translate to read other scripts too. I know all of this has been around for ages but it still blows my mind (and it is gettinng better).
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Don't you folks get mandatory French classes in school? Why is French proficiency so terrible in anglocanada?

Not a dig at cc in particular, just an observation since I moved to BC. It's really pretty terrible. I mean we had english and spanish and I'm pretty fluent in both, so I don't get why the discrepancy.

HVC

We (I) did. Several decades ago. Use it or lose it. I can still read it, Better then Portuguese at any rate, but not as well a as I  could before. You know English because it's a world wide cultural thing.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2023, 09:42:19 AMI agree on all points.

Nowadays, many international subject articles are from the NYT. It is also full of AFP publications.
It's not the same but you can check out the Montreal Gazette if you are looking for some Quebec local info.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on November 24, 2023, 11:02:14 AMDon't you folks get mandatory French classes in school? Why is French proficiency so terrible in anglocanada?

Not a dig at cc in particular, just an observation since I moved to BC. It's really pretty terrible. I mean we had english and spanish and I'm pretty fluent in both, so I don't get why the discrepancy.

I only took French for a couple of years in high school and the level I reached was a bare minimum of conversational French. When I was backpacking in France after undergrad, I could get by a bit, but the locals had to have a lot of patience.

My boys were in French immersion and Mrs. cc speaks French quite well and so they had great fun speaking in French when I was around. It was their secret code.

But I fear that, since then, even the rest of my family's fluency in French has dropped off remarkably as there is really no opportunity to speak the language in our area.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 24, 2023, 11:15:38 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2023, 09:42:19 AMI agree on all points.

Nowadays, many international subject articles are from the NYT. It is also full of AFP publications.
It's not the same but you can check out the Montreal Gazette if you are looking for some Quebec local info.

Good to know

Grey Fox

Yesterday, 560k Union member were on strike. The biggest numbers in Quebec's history. It will probably grow again before christmas.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on November 24, 2023, 11:02:14 AMDon't you folks get mandatory French classes in school? Why is French proficiency so terrible in anglocanada?

I'm guessing it's because for most people they don't find opportunities to use their French skills outside of the classroom, so the language atrophies. I don't think French is taught overly well either, to be honest.

In my opinion we could do a better job of promoting French language cultural products as part of Canadian identity, to give people a better opportunities here.

Personally, though I don't speak French - seeing and hearing French when coming back from abroad (say if I'm flying Air Canada) always gives me a lovely feeling of "I'm almost home".