News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

To be honest, if some Napoleon-loving French historians hate it then the movie is probably better than I thought  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Funny how napoleon got rehabilitated. Wasn't he like the hitler before hitler in Europe? The boogeyman name people used to describe bad guys/leaders. Or am I misremembering?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on November 20, 2023, 08:53:46 AMFunny how napoleon got rehabilitated. Wasn't he like the hitler before hitler in Europe? The boogeyman name people used to describe bad guys/leaders. Or am I misremembering?

Maybe in England.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2023, 08:55:17 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 20, 2023, 08:53:46 AMFunny how napoleon got rehabilitated. Wasn't he like the hitler before hitler in Europe? The boogeyman name people used to describe bad guys/leaders. Or am I misremembering?

Maybe in England.

I'd think Germans and Italians might have some thoughts too :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

celedhring

Much love for Napoleon in Spain. Possibly our favorite  Frenchman, and you all know we love the French a lot here.

Josephus

Didn't think you were that old, to remember Napoleon before Hitler came along.
You look pretty young.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Series 2 of Sweet Tooth.
Meh.
The first series was much better. A voyage across America with different adventures every week.
Series 2 they're all stuck in one place and its just so plodding.
Yet netflix renewed this over shadow and bone <_<
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: HVC on November 20, 2023, 08:56:27 AM

Maybe in England.

I'd think Germans and Italians might have some thoughts too :P

Same for the flemish.

Savonarola

Maybe in England.

Definitely in England.  This was a popular lullaby during the Napoleonic Wars:

Baby, baby, naughty baby!
Hush! you squalling thing, I say;
Hush your squalling, or it may be
Bonaparte will pass this way.

Baby, baby, he's a giant,
Tall and black as Rouen steeple,
And he dines and sups, relie on 't,
Every day on naughty people.

Baby, baby, he will hear you,
As he passes by the house,
And he, limb from limb, will tear you,
Just as pussy tears a mouse.

I heard that on a documentary once, but found the text on this site.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

Don't know why they had to bring the Vagina dentata into it.

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on November 20, 2023, 09:16:41 AM

Didn't think you were that old, to remember Napoleon before Hitler came along.
You look pretty young.

I'm an old soul :P

crazy canuck

Quote"Were you there? Oh you weren't there. Then how do you know?"

That is a troubling quote.  I wonder if the production employed any historians to try to get at least some of the story correct and if so, how many times they were ignored.  It seems the movie portrayed him as a peasant, rather than from a minor aristocratic family.  I suppose the producers decided it was more important to be faithful to the tag line of coming from nothing and conquering everything rather than introducing some historically accurate context.

Admiral Yi

Not the way I remember things.  Military genius, short, tried to conquer all of Europe, fucked up.

Maybe he's treated differently in Canuckistan?

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 20, 2023, 12:13:53 PM

Not the way I remember things.  Military genius, short, tried to conquer all of Europe, fucked up.

Maybe he's treated differently in Canuckistan?

Canuckistan doesn't really cover him much from what I recall. And I was talking about preWW2 views. Although I guess Spain and parts of Belgium still don't view him kindly :D

Threviel

Some historian on Twitter tweeted something in the line of (paraphrasing here): "The very fact that we are diacussing this in English is proof enough of how bad Napoleon was for France."