News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I don't generally look at it - so I didn't realise Quora was now the domain of chatbot and yahoo answers.

QuoteReading other's stories, I felt good like thank God I'm not alone, yes there are people like me who are in love with someone who's dead.

So yes I'd like to share my story. I'm deeply and irrovacably in love with someone who's dead. I never admit this to anyone, thinking that they'd laugh about me or crack jokes about me and call me psycho. I'm in love with this man who's dead for 10 yrs. I saw him for the first time when he was shown on TV about his death. I didn't fell for him at first sight but about after a few days I just lost myself, I couldn't control myself and my feelings, I did a lot of research about him, read a lot of things written about him, collected his pictures from newspapers, and I didn't even realize that I was constantly falling for him day by day. He is my mother's age. Yes he's old enough and I'm his daughter age as I calculated exactly. I don't ever feel awkward about it that I fell in love with someone who's so aged, and someone whom I've never met. I'm sad that I will never meet him ever. But I think about him everyday. Not a minute goes by when he's not in my heart. The kind of love that I feel for him is very pure, emotional and spiritual. And it's also a little cute. I love him, respect him, admire him, meet him every night in my dreams. I hope I could have just one chance to meet him. That would have been enough for my whole life. I regret it. I wish I could've saved him. He'd be happy and alive by now. But I pray to God that wherever he is, please keep him safe and happy. I daydream about him a lot like crazy. In front of the mirror when I look at myself I feel like he's looking at me from the other side. There's so many things in common between us that is why I feel so much drawn towards him. He was such a pure soul the world had ever seen. I never mention his name because in my dreams I've promised him to keep my love a secret forever. But I'm telling this here, publicly, for the first time. I feel weird but also good at the same time. I can never move on from his death. I can wait my entire life just for him. This is not possible here but I hope it will be possible in heaven. Love you my love.♥️
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

I noticed Quora's catastrophic collapse several years ago.  I've read that an algorithm targeting engagement has killed it, and I've also read that its moderation has been captured by Russian and Chinese propaganda.  Last time I checked it definitely seemed like Russia's take on the war was the only one that you could see.

Sheilbh

Yikes :ph34r:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/20/argentina-presidential-election-far-right-libertarian-javier-milei-wins-after-rival-concedes

The left Peronist candidate even had an ad about the sinking of the Belgrano after Milei had said Thatcher was a hero of his. I feel like if even that didn't work...
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Won't change anything. Argentina will still be poor with a crazy amount of inflation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 19, 2023, 08:00:46 PMYikes :ph34r:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/20/argentina-presidential-election-far-right-libertarian-javier-milei-wins-after-rival-concedes

The left Peronist candidate even had an ad about the sinking of the Belgrano after Milei had said Thatcher was a hero of his. I feel like if even that didn't work...

:o

Josquius

Trying to be optimistic here... How much damage can he really do in Argentina?
And hey. Argentina tests the poison to show the world it's not very good.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on November 20, 2023, 03:34:02 AMAnd hey. Argentina tests the poison to show the world it's not very good.

I appreciate your optimism that people will look at any failures there as "we shouldn't do that" rather than "oh, of course it wouldn't work *there*" or "oh, this was sabotaged by [insert scape goat], it will be totally work when we do it."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on November 20, 2023, 03:34:02 AMTrying to be optimistic here... How much damage can he really do in Argentina?
Well, how much more. I think inflation is currently at around 150% - and his opponent was the incumbent economy minister. Which feels like a challenging ask.

Other point, with Argentina testing the poison is if there's one country you can say has an entirely distinct and unique political culture, it's Argentina :lol:

In part he is not unlike other radical right figures in Latin America who have been rising, maybe in response to pink waves. Which is a bit of pattern through the 20th century - and where I think US attitudes matter a lot. Biden wants democracy and doesn't want coups, that's not always been the case and may not be under Trump. But on the other side he has run on anti-Peronism, but his great hero and inspiration is Menem who was a right Peronist and that political labyrinth I think will make it maybe less able to jump into other countries.

For example, I think there's a credible argument he is possibly less the nationalist candidate than the Peronist alternative. Which feels uniquely Argentine.

Edit: Similarly I suspect there'll be pieces to shoehorn it into the global narrative, that the Peronist candidate will be portrayed as not populist which is, I'd argue, literally impossible :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2023, 03:36:14 AM
Quote from: Josquius on November 20, 2023, 03:34:02 AMAnd hey. Argentina tests the poison to show the world it's not very good.

I appreciate your optimism that people will look at any failures there as "we shouldn't do that" rather than "oh, of course it wouldn't work *there*" or "oh, this was sabotaged by [insert scape goat], it will be totally work when we do it."

Good point.  :lol:

Syt

If anyone needs something fun to do in Vienna tomorrow:

https://www.meetup.com/wien-ayn-rand-meetup/events/297458125/

QuoteDetails
In this meetup we want to discuss the third part of Yaron Brooks and Alex Epstein's essay "'Just War Theory' vs. American Self-Defense (Part 3)" about the moral aspects of (just) war from an objectivist perspective.

What we're about
Every week at the Austrian Economics Center

Everyone is welcome.
But the essay should definitely be read.

Whether ethics, art, politics or epistemology, Ayn Rand has profound and unconventional thoughts on almost all topics in life. This meetup is certainly dedicated to the extraordinary author and philosopher, with the purpose of stimulating a constructive discourse around her ideas. In each meetup, the focus is on one of her many essays, with the focus being on a good understanding of the text, but criticism and suggestions are also very welcome.

Whether you've read all of her books or have never heard of Ayn Rand, every meetup has something interesting to offer you. Anyone who is interested in ideas and likes to discuss will feel comfortable in this group.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on November 18, 2023, 10:59:37 AMAndy was an old guy on 60 minutes that would make random musings.

From wiki:

"In the segment, Rooney typically offered satire on a trivial everyday issue, such as the cost of groceries, annoying relatives, or faulty Christmas presents. Rooney's appearances on "A Few Minutes with Andy Rooney" often included whimsical lists, such as types of milk,[18] bottled water brands,[19] car brands,[20] and sports mascots. "

:P

My favourite of his bits was when he went on a tirade about shampoo companies.  He had a great delivery.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2023, 11:54:42 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 18, 2023, 10:59:37 AMAndy was an old guy on 60 minutes that would make random musings.

From wiki:

"In the segment, Rooney typically offered satire on a trivial everyday issue, such as the cost of groceries, annoying relatives, or faulty Christmas presents. Rooney's appearances on "A Few Minutes with Andy Rooney" often included whimsical lists, such as types of milk,[18] bottled water brands,[19] car brands,[20] and sports mascots. "

:P

My favourite of his bits was when he went on a tirade about shampoo companies.  He had a great delivery.

I met and talked with him one time when we were both at Washington National Airport waiting for a plane.  His entire demeanor and voice were completely different from his appearance on 60 Minutes.  Very pleasant and not at all cranky.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!