Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: PDH on September 19, 2023, 01:51:05 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 18, 2023, 05:03:01 PMJust needs a few coats of paint and it'll be like new.
Some Bondo will fill that right in.

:thumbsup:

Won't work on the pixelated vatnik slurry though.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jacob

I've seen some amazing repairs done with instant noodles, super glue, and baking soda. Maybe they should try that?

The Brain

I think you guys greatly underestimate the time and effort needed to repair damage of that magnitude to a submarine.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2023, 02:37:23 PMI think you guys greatly underestimate the time and effort needed to repair damage of that magnitude to a submarine.

:o

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2023, 02:37:23 PMI think you guys greatly underestimate the time and effort needed to repair damage of that magnitude to a submarine.

You have obviously never used instant noodles as a binding agent.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on September 19, 2023, 01:00:16 PMHaven't come across this before - a tracker if Ukraine support, in absolute terms and expressed as share of GDP: https://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-against-ukraine/ukraine-support-tracker/
Yeah it's generally interesting but would just flag that France in particular is wildly understated.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2023, 02:47:20 PM

I have never used it successfully on a navy submarine.

The Brain

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2023, 02:57:14 PMChina has given aid to Ukraine?  :huh:
Limited humanitarian aid - which is one of the principles on the Chinese peace plan. But they want aid humanitarian, depoliticised and ideally distributed by the UN, which obviously is more about drawing a contrast with the west.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on September 19, 2023, 01:00:16 PMHaven't come across this before - a tracker if Ukraine support, in absolute terms and expressed as share of GDP: https://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-against-ukraine/ukraine-support-tracker/

IfW was where I did my research for my final paper in 1999. Of course at the time I would have to go to the library counter, give them my search terms and they'd hand me binders full of newspaper and magazine clippings on my chosen topic (critical review of current suggestions and methods of wage subsidies as a means to reduce unemployment).

Had a quick look at their open positions. This sounds like it might be of interest for Languishites. :P

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/institute/career-education/job-vacancies/intern-m-f-div-geopolitics-of-telegraph-cable-investments-1850-1914/

QuoteIntern (m/f/div), Geopolitics of Telegraph Cable Investments 1850-1914
The Research Center International Finance and Macroeconomics at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy is looking for an

intern (m/f/div), full-time or a three-day working week
for our research project on "The Geopolitics of Telegraph Cable Investments 1850-1914" at the earliest possible date. We are a young, dynamic, research-oriented team with a large international network, focusing on international capital flows, financial globalization, financial history, and questions of international political economy, in particular geopolitics and geoeconomics.

The intern will actively participate in our research project on the geopolitics of international telegraphy before 1914. In this ambitious research project, we explore the geopolitical investments by countries. We are in particular interested in the battle for technological sovereignty in international telegraphy before World War 1. Generating micro-level data on telegraph cables, and private and public expenditures from historical sources, and processing them for use in Excel and Stata will constitute a big part of the project.

:nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2023, 03:00:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2023, 02:47:20 PM

I have never used it successfully on a navy submarine.

I'm with you.  Noodles don't cut it at an operating depth of 300 feet, even in the relatively warm Black Sea.  Only duct tape will hold under those conditions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2023, 02:57:14 PMChina has given aid to Ukraine?  :huh:

2 million Euros in humanitarian aid doesn't get them near the top.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2023, 03:00:53 PMI have never used it successfully on a navy submarine.

To be honest, neither have I. Which is why I'm keen to see the Russians try it.