Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on September 18, 2023, 02:30:48 PMI think you're missing the obvious point that this is a colonial war, which has been openly acknowledged in russia since the very beginning. It really shows the kremlin's utter contempt for their western useful idiots, still going on about NATO expansion, jew/nazis/gays in Ukraine, the Maidan "coup", tHe SlAuGhTeR of DoNbAs ChilDrEN!!! etc etc.

This.

I mean Jos's points are all valid, but the main point is this is a war of conquest, and any other explanations are window dressing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2023, 02:42:39 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 18, 2023, 02:30:48 PMI think you're missing the obvious point that this is a colonial war, which has been openly acknowledged in russia since the very beginning. It really shows the kremlin's utter contempt for their western useful idiots, still going on about NATO expansion, jew/nazis/gays in Ukraine, the Maidan "coup", tHe SlAuGhTeR of DoNbAs ChilDrEN!!! etc etc.

This.

I mean Jos's points are all valid, but the main point is this is a war of conquest, and any other explanations are window dressing.

Agreed

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on September 18, 2023, 02:17:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2023, 01:03:14 PMNew Russian military recruitment ad lays bare Russia's military aims in the war - conquest.

https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1703785785026060363
(with english subtitles)

Two soldiers seen in the trenches.  One talks about wanting to buy an apartment in Kiyev after the war is over.  His friend would prefer to buy in Odesa.

Wow.

1: the whole thing looks like a Hollywood version of WW1. Of course the actual war is a trench based cross of WW1 and the digital age. But curious to see the Russian media acknowledging it like this.
2: Admitting the family links with the relative in Kyiv. Hmm. Again curious and shines a light on the bs. Though I guess they figure it also supports their propeganda of liberation and the two countries naturally being one.
3: Fascinating that these Russian grunts can only dream of buying flats in Ukrainian cities.... No lovely farms in the countryside or mansions? And why are they so eager to move to Ukraine? Acknowledgment it's a better country?
4: they're buying the flats too. I will fight and risk my life to pay fair market value for a 2 bedroom apartment!

You can find pretty cheap real estate in Russia basically anywhere outside of St Petersburg and Moscow. No need to move to Ukraine for that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

That video of the soldiers talking of buying flats, sounds like a clever piece of Ukrainian black propaganda?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on September 18, 2023, 03:40:12 PMThat video of the soldiers talking of buying flats, sounds like a clever piece of Ukrainian black propaganda?

I've seen it several times on Twitter.  This video just had the nicest english subtitles.

If it was a fake it should be easy to tell what the origin was.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Legbiter on September 18, 2023, 12:44:29 PMAftermath of the strike on that kilo sub.

Looks hard to buff out.  :hmm:

that kilo got pounded real good

Legbiter

Just needs a few coats of paint and it'll be like new.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2023, 03:50:35 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 18, 2023, 03:40:12 PMThat video of the soldiers talking of buying flats, sounds like a clever piece of Ukrainian black propaganda?

I've seen it several times on Twitter.  This video just had the nicest english subtitles.

If it was a fake it should be easy to tell what the origin was.

It also seems targeted at potential recruits from Crimea...the ad points to a local address in Simferepol...but that could just be a variant based on whatever local region they happen to broadcast in (if the thing is even legit).

DGuller

In related news, it looks like Azerbaijan is starting a war with Armenia again.  It wouldn't be at all surprising if true, there is hardly going to be a better time for them.  Armenia has got to be the most geopolitically unluckiest country that still exists.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on September 19, 2023, 08:13:54 AMIn related news, it looks like Azerbaijan is starting a war with Armenia again.  It wouldn't be at all surprising if true, there is hardly going to be a better time for them.  Armenia has got to be the most geopolitically unluckiest country that still exists.
I've noticed for a few weeks now there really seems to be a lot of efforts on social media to try and cement an idea of Azerbaijan=Ukraine and Armenia=Russia and Armenia invaded and started all this.
Armenia for its part is pivoting towards the US. Really hope they get some serious international attention. A real genocide in the making if Azerbaijan are given free reign.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Did Armenia just start military exercises with the US? Russia letting Azerbaijan off the leash in retaliation?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on September 19, 2023, 08:27:14 AMDid Armenia just start military exercises with the US? Russia letting Azerbaijan off the leash in retaliation?
I think it was more of a last ditch desperation.  It became clear that Russia was unwilling or unable to protect Armenia, so what was Armenia left to do?  Armenia is a landlocked country, I don't see them voluntarily separating from Russia, it would be a crazy gamble.

Legbiter

Ukraine is asking the Germans to halt the transfer of CNC machinery to Russia.  :hmm:

QuoteUkraine's anti-corruption watchdog wrote to German authorities and a Bavarian-based company seeking to halt the delivery to Russia of high-end machinery used by ammunition manufacturers.

The National Agency on Corruption Prevention in Kyiv informed the German government that a so-called CNC machine manufactured by Spinner Werkzeugmaschinenfabrik GmbH is en route to a plant in Russia from Turkey, according to letters seen by Bloomberg News and people familiar with the matter. The equipment is due to arrive later this month.

https://archive.vn/Wd2m5#selection-4839.0-4843.341

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jacob

Haven't come across this before - a tracker if Ukraine support, in absolute terms and expressed as share of GDP: https://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-against-ukraine/ukraine-support-tracker/

PDH

Quote from: Legbiter on September 18, 2023, 05:03:01 PMJust needs a few coats of paint and it'll be like new.
Some Bondo will fill that right in.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM