Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2023, 12:42:27 PMRIP William Friedkin :(

Dammit. :(

RIP

Just in time to have the latest video release of To Live and Die in L.A butchered with the original stereo track being replaced by a 5.1 downmix.  :nerd:

:(

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 07, 2023, 11:00:39 AMYou will just have to live with the fact that attempted murder is not an option for you.

The struggle is real.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

On the subject of Oppenheimer, the BBC are repeating the 'classic' 1980s series, which I think is a US-BBC co-productions.
Details here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0g3j9tt
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Watched the first episode of Good Omens S2. It was all right, but it felt a bit too twee after finishing Barry before. :D Guess I'll continue with Succession instead for now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Good Omens S2, feels like it has some humour bits, but the plot seems to be missing.  I'm 4 episodes in and I don't get the impression the writers knew what they wanted. 

PDH!

Tamas

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 11, 2023, 05:56:17 AMGood Omens S2, feels like it has some humour bits, but the plot seems to be missing.  I'm 4 episodes in and I don't get the impression the writers knew what they wanted. 

Same episode, same impressions. I was like "why are we here, why is this being shown?" which 4 episodes in isn't great I guess.

Too bad it's not the 70s anymore though, the religious offense-machine could have gotten a nice kick out of Job's wife calling God "them".

Admiral Yi

Terminator Genisys.  Not awesome.  Same old gags, same fight scenes, same chases, many plot holes.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2023, 04:23:52 AMTerminator Genisys.  Not awesome.  Same old gags, same fight scenes, same chases, many plot holes.

"Let's remake the first two films but make them even more convoluted". Dark Fate is also an undercover remake of the first one, too. It's all so tiresome.

At least Terminator Salvation tried to take the franchise in a new direction, even if it wasn't a good film.

Josquius

I remember liking the genysis trailer. It did seem a interesting concept - time travel messing with the classic film about time travel.
But the execution sucked. And threw away the concept..
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josquius on August 13, 2023, 07:39:16 AMI remember liking the genysis trailer. It did seem a interesting concept - time travel messing with the classic film about time travel.
But the execution sucked. And threw away the concept..
Word. It was friggin lame. It could have been cool. They had some cool ideas, but their implementation went no where.  They had Doctor Who in a time travel movie and fucked it up.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2023, 06:30:34 AMAt least Terminator Salvation tried to take the franchise in a new direction, even if it wasn't a good film.
Up until the end, it wasn't so bad. It's the last 45 minutes that undo the movie, imho.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2023, 04:08:19 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2023, 06:30:34 AMAt least Terminator Salvation tried to take the franchise in a new direction, even if it wasn't a good film.
Up until the end, it wasn't so bad. It's the last 45 minutes that undo the movie, imho.

Yeah, the last 45 minutes are dumb - but what comes before it is a bit of a slog, even if it has some decent ideas. In the end, it's probably the best post-T2 Terminator film, which is a pretty low bar.

I remember when I was a teen coming out of T2 and discussing with my friends that now what we really wanted to see is the war against the machines. Salvation was supposed to be that, but it was so dull.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2023, 05:17:54 PMI remember when I was a teen coming out of T2 and discussing with my friends that now what we really wanted to see is the war against the machines. Salvation was supposed to be that, but it was so dull.
Yes, it was a disappointment on that part too.  Could have been better overall.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Don't know how that managed to make 6 movies and a tv show when only the first two movies were good. And even with that the last good movies was over 30 years ago.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.