News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 13, 2023, 09:33:00 PMDon't know how that managed to make 6 movies and a tv show when only the first two movies were good. And even with that the last good movies was over 30 years ago.
1) the tv show was good, but it was cut short by the writers strike shortly after a second AI faction revealed itself.

2) it' about keeping the ip.  The owners must release a movie otherwise it reverts to Cameron, IIRC.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2023, 09:53:25 PM2) it' about keeping the ip.  The owners must release a movie otherwise it reverts to Cameron, IIRC.

It's not exactly that. IIRC he can claim the rights to the scripts of T1/T2 (if he's done so is unclear, it seems he made deal with the people that made Dark Fate). But all the visual elements (i.e. the terminator skeletons) have to be licensed from the people that own the rights to the movies themselves.

I'm in the "let it die" camp.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2023, 09:53:25 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 13, 2023, 09:33:00 PMDon't know how that managed to make 6 movies and a tv show when only the first two movies were good. And even with that the last good movies was over 30 years ago.
1) the tv show was good, but it was cut short by the writers strike shortly after a second AI faction revealed itself.

Agree with viper on this one. I am rewatching the show right now on blu-ray. The CGI has aged badly but it was not that great to begin with, to be fair. Not that I am a fan of mass use of CGI anyways.

Gups

Several of the episode in season 2 of Bear are right up there with very best TV can offer. Fantastic show.

Eddie Teach

Heart of Stone. The idea of a good guy Spectre-like organization was interesting, but they didn't do much with it. At least the eye candy was good.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Gups on August 14, 2023, 09:56:01 AMSeveral of the episode in season 2 of Bear are right up there with very best TV can offer. Fantastic show.

New Noise by Refused in ep1. Damn right.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Hip Hop the Criterion Channel has a curated list of Hip Hop films.  I've made it through the first three films, Wild Style, Style Wars and Beat Street.  All three films deal with rap, breakdancing and graffiti art as the three movements were associated with each other.  The most common target for the graffiti artists were the trains and, much to my discomfort, they showed scenes of the artists breaking into trains yards or layovers.  In what's supposed to be the emotional climax of Beat Street, two graffiti artists get into a brawl on the subway tracks and both end up getting fried to a crisp on the third rail.

Savonarola:  And that's what you deserve.  :mad:

;)

Style Wars is a documentary and Wild Style is docufiction (now that's an awful portmanteau) and I was struck that in both films what the characters wore wasn't (what I would think of as) Hip Hop fashion.  Beat Street, from a year later (and a drama), did start to have the clothing I would associate with hip hop.  I initially thought that the Def Jam bands were starting to make it at that point, but I read that those were actually selected by the film maker.  I thought that was interesting.

The dancing in Beat Street, performed by the Rocksteady Crew and the New York City Breakers, is amazing.  There were three more dance battles shot, but they didn't make it to the film.  The music in all three films is great as well, The Furious Five and Afrika Bambaataa show up in most of them.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Saw a show called Painkiller on Netflix. Dramatization of Oxy scandal.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 15, 2023, 07:49:20 PMSaw a show called Painkiller on Netflix. Dramatization of Oxy scandal.

Better or worse than Dopesick?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Testament of Youth. Young woman loses males in WW1. One of them is depicted wearing a Brodie helmet in the trenches already in 1914. Are we to believe that this is some sort of a magic helmet or something? Boy I really hope someone got fired for that blunder.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on August 16, 2023, 07:52:19 AMTestament of Youth. Young woman loses males in WW1. One of them is depicted wearing a Brodie helmet in the trenches already in 1914. Are we to believe that this is some sort of a magic helmet or something? Boy I really hope someone got fired for that blunder.

At least they haven't had Churchill fighting at Verdun.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 15, 2023, 07:49:20 PMSaw a show called Painkiller on Netflix. Dramatization of Oxy scandal.

Yeah, I have heard it is quite good.

Zoupa

Painkiller's tone is all wrong and weird for the sake of being weird. Dopesick was much, much better.

Sheilbh

Agree Dopesick is much better - also I think Micahel Keaton is really good.

Thing I liked with Painkiller was the Uzo Aduba composite lawyer character because I think she walked through how the Sacklers did it in a way I don't think Dopesick did. At times it was basically like the script was just reading sections of Empire of Pain, but I think she sold it and I think that explanation is good and important.

But I agree it is tonally weird particularly around Broderick/the Sacklers (although slightly love that the two main actors from Ferris Bueller are now playing despicable rich kids).
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 16, 2023, 12:07:36 PMThing I liked with Painkiller was the Uzo Aduba composite lawyer character because I think she walked through how the Sacklers did it in a way I don't think Dopesick did. At times it was basically like the script was just reading sections of Empire of Pain, but I think she sold it and I think that explanation is good and important.

That is the positive feedback I had heard about the show.