News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 03, 2023, 04:06:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2023, 04:01:23 PMWait! There is a new Futurama?

Hold my beer

Many thanks!

Two episodes out so far.  Disney+ in Canada, Hulu in US.  Rest of the world can figure it out for themselves.

frunk

On an animation jag right now, and watched a couple of movies that pleasantly surprised me.  Nimona and Puss and Boots: The Last Wish both fall into some standard animation tropes that bug me, but overall they exceeded my expectations for non-Pixar kid movies.  The art styles matched the stories well, and weren't as cookie cutter as they frequently are.

Syt

Watched Barry S1-4 over the past two weeks or so.

Loved it. Tonally it reminded me a lot of BoJack Horseman, in how it blends absurd over the top comedy with dark depressing personal drama and moral failings (plus, it also deals with the entertainment business).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: frunk on August 04, 2023, 09:45:50 AMOn an animation jag right now, and watched a couple of movies that pleasantly surprised me.  Nimona and Puss and Boots: The Last Wish both fall into some standard animation tropes that bug me, but overall they exceeded my expectations for non-Pixar kid movies.  The art styles matched the stories well, and weren't as cookie cutter as they frequently are.
I read, and loved, the graphic novel Nimona. I'm really looking forward to watching it!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sheilbh

Wolf.

Couple of episodes into this new BBC crime drama with a very good cast. But it's very odd.

Half of it basically seems like a normal-ish procedural tying back to an old case, with the detective slightly falling apart obsessing over his neighbour who he becomes convinced is linked to the disappearance of his brother. All that, as I say, is fairly standard procedural - but done pretty well.

The other half (prominently featuring Sacha Dhawan, Iwan Rheon and Juliet Stevenson) is basically Funny Games.

No idea how they tie together, not sure if it all hangs tonally. But it is interesting and well-performed. Definitely worth a watch.
Let's bomb Russia!

frunk

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on August 04, 2023, 07:48:37 PMI read, and loved, the graphic novel Nimona. I'm really looking forward to watching it!

Haven't read the graphic novel, so no idea how it compares.  As an independent work it satisfied me.  The one issue I had plotwise was the Director wanting to preserve the sanctity of the aristocracy by killing the queen felt weird.  Discrediting Boldheart in other ways would have probably worked better, or make the antagonist next in line for the throne and this was their way to gain it.

celedhring

I tried watching Nimona when it came out. The setting was interesting but I was put off by how hard they tried to make her funny/edgy with ever single line of dialogue - which is a common trait in many animated films, mind.

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on August 06, 2023, 09:07:53 AMI tried watching Nimona when it came out. The setting was interesting but I was put off by how hard they tried to make her funny/edgy with ever single line of dialogue - which is a common trait in many animated films, mind.

No argument here.  The frequency of that trait fades as the movie goes on, which saved it for me.

The Brain

Oppenheimer. A perfectly fine biopic, but not the Second Coming as the hype would have it. The only really weird thing is the attempted murder thing which seems unlikely to have actually happened. Or was it meant to be some hallucination sequence? The movie drags in the third hour.

On the plus side the movie is clear about its scope: Oppenheimer. Not the Manhattan project, or Hiroshima, or similar. There are two major stories in the movie, the Bomb and the security clearance stuff. To an outsider the Bomb seems important and the office politics of the security clearance less important. But I hope that the movie tries to make the point that to the individual, in this case Oppenheimer, they are both very important. Being effectively cut off from your work and colleagues is a serious blow to most people who love their work. I think he likely got a raw deal, but having security clearance isn't a human right and it's not like his background wasn't problematic. I like that the movie made the point that the pesky security guys were right all along to be suspicious about the scienticians since the Manhattan project was in fact leaking.

I was afraid that the movie might not mention the conventional bombing of Japan, so I was relieved when it did, and also explained that the difference with the atomic bomb was psychological. Even if I think the point could have been made a bit stronger. I wouldn't be surprised if many people who watch the movie come out of the theater still thinking that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were the major killers of Japanese civilians by US bombs in WW2.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

If the weird thing you mention is the apple business - that did indeed happen. He was actually caught and nearly kicked out of the school.

I thought it was a nice metaphor for the rest of the movie.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on August 06, 2023, 03:49:15 PMIf the weird thing you mention is the apple business - that did indeed happen. He was actually caught and nearly kicked out of the school.

He was nearly kicked out for attempted murder? Harsh.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on August 06, 2023, 04:20:43 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 06, 2023, 03:49:15 PMIf the weird thing you mention is the apple business - that did indeed happen. He was actually caught and nearly kicked out of the school.

He was nearly kicked out for attempted murder? Harsh.

Helps to have a very wealthy father who can persuade a university not to press charges and instead slap him on the wrist with probation. Rich boys will be rich boys after all.

The Brain

why dont i come from money :(

crazy canuck

You will just have to live with the fact that attempted murder is not an option for you.

HVC

Don't listen to the nay sayers, make your dreams a reality!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.