News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 19, 2023, 06:57:29 AMGreat news! So no bonus features? Well, one can always keep the near-unwatchable at times DVD I guess.  :P

Being Warner Bros, it will be region-free. Release outside of North America (French subs for Québec? Spanish for Mexico?) is not a given, however.
Amazon has a kind of place holder for the title, but not details and it's marked "not available" so far. We will have to wait. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2023, 08:17:31 AMMy son is currently watching The Great Escape  :bowler:

Dammit I gotta show my boys that one...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

The Sounds of Science (2002)

This is a series of Jean Painlevé films set to the music of Yo La Tengo.  The narration was completely wiped out, but they kept the English language subtitles.  I once saw a series of Man Ray films set to the music of Tom Verlaine, this was a lot like that.  Even though Jean Painlevé's films are all nature documentaries, he was associated with the surrealists (and a classmate of Jean Vigo) so they do tend to play out as art films as much as documentaries. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2023, 02:41:23 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2023, 08:17:31 AMMy son is currently watching The Great Escape  :bowler:

You do. But he chose this on his own. He's a big fan of the Grand Tour and in their latest episode they visit Stalag Luft III and he was interested into knowing more.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on July 19, 2023, 03:59:37 PMThe Sounds of Science (2002)

This is a series of Jean Painlevé films set to the music of Yo La Tengo.  The narration was completely wiped out, but they kept the English language subtitles.  I once saw a series of Man Ray films set to the music of Tom Verlaine, this was a lot like that.  Even though Jean Painlevé's films are all nature documentaries, he was associated with the surrealists (and a classmate of Jean Vigo) so they do tend to play out as art films as much as documentaries. 

That had a kickass theme song.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Gups

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2023, 06:36:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2023, 02:41:23 PM

Have you suggested the Italian Job (original) to him?

You do. But he chose this on his own. He's a big fan of the Grand Tour and in their latest episode they visit Stalag Luft III and he was interested into knowing more.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on July 19, 2023, 12:52:32 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 19, 2023, 06:57:29 AMGreat news! So no bonus features? Well, one can always keep the near-unwatchable at times DVD I guess.  :P

Being Warner Bros, it will be region-free. Release outside of North America (French subs for Québec? Spanish for Mexico?) is not a given, however.
Amazon has a kind of place holder for the title, but not details and it's marked "not available" so far. We will have to wait. :)

Bezos France already has a placeholder. Other retailers will follow I guess. :)
I may have to keep the DVD for some bonus features, as said previously.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 20, 2023, 05:56:31 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 19, 2023, 12:52:32 PM

Bezos France already has a placeholder. Other retailers will follow I guess. :)
I may have to keep the DVD for some bonus features, as said previously.
They have the price now.  130$CAN, release on Dec 5th 2023, English language only, NTSC for North America.
No other details, but we know it's the tv 4:3 release, albeit with upgraded sound and special effects.

I'm still going to wait for the official release and look at the technical reviews.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

The Venture Brothers film is being released at 12:00 Dguller time.  I'm so excited.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2023, 07:44:52 PMThe Venture Brothers film is being released at 12:00 Dguller time.  I'm so excited.
Ya!
PDH!

Syt

New episode of Foundation. Very much enjoyed this one, though I'm dubious about the whole precognition/telepathy plotline since that goes kinda against the whole psychohistory working in "broad strokes and trends" theme. Still, glad to see some tech-priesting, and having Belisarios Bel Riose teased.  :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2023, 10:53:16 AMNew trailer for The Wheel of Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-1OT1jxuQo&ab_channel=PrimeVideo

Number of candles seems adequate.

God damnit, they have fire baskets burning every ten meters on the streets in the cities. Do the have no concept as to the cost of fire wood? And the cost of having thousands of fire watchers all over the city? Half the logistics in the nearest 100 km must be focused on delivering fire wood and another 100 km to feed them all. Lunacy.

In all seriousness it looks better than S1.

Savonarola

Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2023, 10:36:11 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 19, 2023, 03:59:37 PMThe Sounds of Science (2002)

That had a kickass theme song.

At least it wasn't The Beastie Boys.

The soundtrack was called "The Sounds of the Sounds of Science."  I liked that.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Wittgenstein (1993)

Originally meant to be part of a series about twelve philosophers presented on BBC Channel 4; only 4 were made.  (I assume they were all supposed to be British or philosophers with ties to Great Britain, otherwise Wittgenstein is an odd choice.)  This is a stagey biography (and quite avant-garde at points, among other things they have Ludwig dressed up in Roman armor as he introduces his family also he discusses philosophy with a Martian) which does introduce his philosophy.  Obviously it's no more than a very basic introduction as (at least I find) Wittgenstein is quite difficult.  It's more interesting to see his relationship with Bertrand Russel and John Maynard Keynes develop and deteriorate.

Sheilbh

Is that the Derek Jarman one?

If it's what I think it is, then I don't think it was necessarily all going to be British or connected to Britain. This was back when Channel 4 were commissioning radical content. So for that one they got Terry Eagleton (the Marxist literary theorist) and Derek Jarman (radical queer film-maker) to do Wittgenstein - I think the producer for the series was Tariq Ali, activist and very prominent in the New Left (and writing for New Left Review).

I just checked and it looks like they actually got to commissioning 4 scripts. There was Socrates by Howard Brenton, Locke by David Edgar (both prominent playwrights at the time) and then Ali wrote a script for Spinoza. But it looks like the only ones that got filmed were Wittgenstein and Spinoza - probably not the easiest two to convince commissioners to do the other 10 :lol:

I'm a huge Derek Jarman fan and I think this was his last "proper" narrative film. By this point he was going blind because of AIDS. He was only able to see in shades of blue. So he was at this point writing Chroma (his book on colour) and making his last film, Blue, which is a narration of his essay on blue over a blue screen. It's great :blush: :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!