News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

I just watched a couple trailers for the Barbie movie and I got to say, I am now more interested in watching Barbie than Oppenheimer. It looks it could be a lot of fun.

Oppenheimer is probably cool and great and thoughtful but Nolan kinda makes the same film over and over and I'm just not as excited to watch a 3 hour depressathon. I'd rather have fun with my wife at the movies.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 17, 2023, 07:17:35 PMOppenheimer is probably cool and great and thoughtful but Nolan kinda makes the same film over and over
Tenet is a fucked up movie.
Batman movies were not.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

I'm probably checking out Oppenheimer first, mostly to avoid the crowds for Barbie.

Unless the reviews aren't great, that is, a 3-hour talking head movie can be a dire time at the movies if it's not great.

Savonarola

Bringing up Baby (1938)

I think this is the definitive Screwball Comedy where there are no straight men, every character is at very least quirky and all main characters are positively screwy; and the lines come so quickly that the characters talk over one another.  Katharine Hepburn's moll routine is one of the great moments in comedy; completely out of the blue and hilarious, much like "Springtime for Hitler" from "The Producers."

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

I'm fascinated by the talk that barbie is meant to be iron man for the Mattel Expanded Universe.

I for one can't wait for a realistic take on Thomas the tank engine.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Of interest to sci-fi fans, Grumbler in particular:
From JMS himself:

QuoteATTENTION BABYLON 5 FANS! YOU WANTED IT, YOU ASKED FOR IT, AND IT'S FINALLY HAPPENED! To celebrate B5's 30th Anniversary, Babylon 5: The Complete Series will be released ON BLU-RAY December 5, '23. Pre-orders can be placed STARTING TODAY via the retailer of your choice. (Just waiting for some of the online sites to catch up.)
To address some of the obvious questions: I wasn't directly involved with the release, so I don't know much more than you do or what's in the release/at the retail sites but I can add what little I do know: the release includes The Gathering (but not the movies or Crusade) because TG was our pilot (technically the first) episode, so it's a legit part of the series which fits the title mandate; the other movies were separate, and Crusade is a completely different series, so it doesn't belong in this box set.
This is essentially the same as the very nice 4:3 remaster done for HBO-Max, which matches the original broadcast, but putting it onto Blu-Ray increases the bitrate so it should look even better than it did there. WB wanted to include the commentaries but with everything else involved with this, it apparently wasn't feasible (that's the extent of what I was told, so I've no idea what that entails).
Since I'm not directly involved with the release, as with all things related to B5's distribution plans, I do not have any inside information concerning foreign releases or other languages. That's all on the Warners side, so please direct any inquiries in that direction.
Finally, for folks asking where they can find *a* link to where this is available...like all major studio releases, this will be made available to all the usual online places where you normally buy Blu-Ray disks. It will be rolling out to those sites starting today.
What matters most in all this is that after years of asking for a Blu-Ray release, which will make this show look more beautiful than it ever has before. Fans can now own the full series in pristine form on physical media without being held hostage by the whims of streamers. I'm very excited by this release, as it further assures the legacy of Babylon 5. Onward!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Great news! So no bonus features? Well, one can always keep the near-unwatchable at times DVD I guess.  :P

Being Warner Bros, it will be region-free. Release outside of North America (French subs for Québec? Spanish for Mexico?) is not a given, however.

Grey Fox

My son is currently watching The Great Escape  :bowler:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2023, 08:17:31 AMMy son is currently watching The Great Escape  :bowler:

Send him to The Cooler!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2023, 08:17:31 AMMy son is currently watching The Great Escape  :bowler:
10/10 dad behaviour :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Really looking forward to this one:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Barbieheimer is the best crossover since Doom/Animal Crossing which were released on the same day in 2020.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

New trailer for The Wheel of Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-1OT1jxuQo&ab_channel=PrimeVideo

Number of candles seems adequate.

FunkMonk

Scrolling through Rotten Tomatoes reviews of Oppenheimer and I'm gathering that a lot of film critics consider this his best film ever?

Interesting. I may have to see it before Barbie after all.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 19, 2023, 11:39:24 AMScrolling through Rotten Tomatoes reviews of Oppenheimer and I'm gathering that a lot of film critics consider this his best film ever?

Interesting. I may have to see it before Barbie after all.

Some reviewers I trust have more temperate takes. As in, it's a bit of overbloated jumbled mess with many moments of brilliance.