News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on February 13, 2023, 09:32:41 PMAl Jazeera has an American report, Kristen Saloomey, who reports on US/UN politics; I was just wondering what ethnic/country origin does this unusual surname have?

Syrian I believe.

Edit: Ok it's Lebanese. Back in the 19th century records didn't distinguish between the two.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on February 13, 2023, 07:56:13 PMOh, Canada!  :(

Warning:  some pretty disturbing shit here, about "initiations" into Canadian Junior Hockey:
ICI Radio Canada

The new board of Hockey Canada is basically taking the view that the structure needs to be nuked from orbit, just to be sure, and then rebuilt.  And they are right.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2023, 08:16:12 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 13, 2023, 06:10:33 PMYoutube randomly threw a video at me today I watched a few minutes of. American dude describing rugby for American football fans. He sounded enthused about it, describing it as an entire sport like the exciting final play in American football.
I wonder whether rugby could make any serious headway in popularity in the US from tapping into this.
It's obviously never going to be a major professional sport, but the way seems clear for a decent international team at least with players playing abroad.

There are a couple things I don't get about rugby.

Apart from the highlight breakaway runs, 90% of the action seems to be the team with possession running four yards and getting tackled, getting back up and running another four yards.  Then once in a while instead of running four yards they kick it.  Why do they do that?

Then sometimes when the runner gets tackled instead of running another four yards both teams form a scrum.  When do you scrum and when do you run another four yards?

And what is the point of the scrum?  It seems like a show and the team that had possession always gets it back.

This is why as far as I care about rugby I prefer rugby league :p
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Rubgy can be a bit confusing at first, but it is constant motion, except for the scrums and line ins.  If you get a chance, watch a game with someone who can explain the rules to you as the game goes on.  It is actually pretty simple.  The main point to the rules is that they are highly discretionary, and a good ref keeps the game going - so the polar opposite of American football.

Grey Fox

The Olympic set up of Rugby 7 is really good because they understand that the spectators need to know at all times what the ref is saying.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2023, 01:41:51 PMThe Olympic set up of Rugby 7 is really good because they understand that the spectators need to know at all times what the ref is saying.

Yeah, hearing the ref communicate with the players adds a lot to the game. 

The Larch

That is done in rugby union as well.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 14, 2023, 12:47:52 PM

Warning:  some pretty disturbing shit here, about "initiations" into Canadian Junior Hockey:
ICI Radio Canada

The new board of Hockey Canada is basically taking the view that the structure needs to be nuked from orbit, just to be sure, and then rebuilt.  And they are right.

I mean the structure is one thing, but a lot of the terrible attitudes of hockey are right at the grassroots.

I feel like I'm starting to see it more this year with my oldest.  As he's playing high level hockey there's a growing sense of entitlement amongst the kids.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 14, 2023, 04:53:39 PMI mean the structure is one thing, but a lot of the terrible attitudes of hockey are right at the grassroots.

I feel like I'm starting to see it more this year with my oldest.  As he's playing high level hockey there's a growing sense of entitlement amongst the kids.

An ex of is from a small Northern Ontario town - but one that has a nearby junior hockey team (whatever age it is that has HS students). I visited a few times. And yeah, the pull and entitlement - and impunity - that those guys have is very real.

viper37

ICI Radio Canada

The Commissionner of Quebec's Junior Hockey League was interviewed yesterday on tv.  He's served as president since 1986.

When asked if it's possible that this is going on with coache's approval, he first responds that he's never heard of such degrading things, nothing has ever been brought to the attention of the league.

Further down the interview, he proceeds to clarify that he's never heard of such incidents since they put in place their new ethics code around the early 2000s.

Then he names a few cases they investigated and were "unfounded claims" according to the league's investigation.  Was involving an Eastern European player who later said it was "miscommunication and a translation error".

I think I see a pattern here. <_<

Yeah, out with them all.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2023, 06:26:24 PMAnd yeah, the pull and entitlement - and impunity - that those guys have is very real.
It's encouraged behavior by their coaches and leagues.
It ain't unique to hockey, the moment there's a popular sport in some town, this is what happens.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on February 15, 2023, 09:14:08 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2023, 06:26:24 PMAnd yeah, the pull and entitlement - and impunity - that those guys have is very real.
It's encouraged behavior by their coaches and leagues.
It ain't unique to hockey, the moment there's a popular sport in some town, this is what happens.

Was gonna say, isn't it similar with some football "stars" in high school? (My perception may be colored by US TV shows :P )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 14, 2023, 04:53:39 PM

ICI Radio Canada

I mean the structure is one thing, but a lot of the terrible attitudes of hockey are right at the grassroots.

I agree, by structure I meant the whole damn thing.

Grey Fox

The Quebec government was already angry at the Q because of it's piss poor educational record and was looking to reform post-secondary sports education. This will not help the Qs cause.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

I mean I understand it - there's pressure to win.

Let's say you have a really good player.  If they commit a "bad act" in connection to their sport the coach or league's only real means of discipline is to not allow them to play for a time.  But then of course the argument is that is punishing the entire team, or even the entire school or community, for that players bad acts.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.