News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on February 13, 2023, 07:37:50 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 13, 2023, 07:32:42 AMSo, a beleaguered Spanish steel products manufacturer (Celsa) is restructuring debt to avoid financial collapse. One of the demands from the creditors? That the company moves to Luxemburg so it pays less taxes  :rolleyes:

WTF? Can creditors actually ask for such a thing?

I'm not an expert, but changing ownership structure is common in restructuring deals - some of the debt will be turned into equity.  After this goes through (it's being reported today that the current owners have accepted the deal) Celsa will be owned by a new holding company headquartered in Luxemburg. Ostensibly to reduce tax burden. I just find it so cheeky.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on February 13, 2023, 07:48:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 13, 2023, 07:32:42 AMSo, a beleaguered Spanish steel products manufacturer (Celsa) is restructuring debt to avoid financial collapse. One of the demands from the creditors? That the company moves to Luxemburg so it pays less taxes  :rolleyes:

I'm not an expert, but changing ownership structure is common in restructuring deals - some of the debt will be turned into equity.  After this goes through (it's being reported today that the current owners have accepted the deal) Celsa will be owned by a new holding company headquartered in Luxemburg. Ostensibly to reduce tax burden. I just find it so cheeky.

That is indeed a sneakier way to achieve the same result, yes.

Syt

Is that holding owned by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArcelorMittal maybe?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on February 13, 2023, 09:27:52 AM

Is that holding owned by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArcelorMittal maybe?

No, it's some funds that bought up the company's debt.

Sheilbh

Not a surprise - and a Luxembourg businessman (director of over 100 companies associated with various very rich individuals and domicilied in a list of world's shadiest jurisdictions) just successfully challenged EU laws on public registers of beneficial ownership.

It was under anti-money laundering, counter-terrorism and anti-corruption rules that states would establish registers of beneficial ownership - that is who actually has the benefit from that company/corporate structure rather than what other shelly company legally owns it. The CJEU ruled (I think wrongly and very negatively) that there's no lawful basis under GDPR for making that data public - or, more precisely, there might be a legitimate interest but it is outweighed by the risks to the rights and freedoms of the individuals (the beneficial owners) <_<

As I say I think it's wrong and a huge blow to transparency but very good for Luxembourg's business model.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Time to kick Luxembourg out of the EU.

Sheilbh

I think I posted a map on here of corporate tax evasion losers and winners and Luxembourg is bad (in terms of the EU, not as bad as Ireland or the Netherlands) - but I can't find the map so you'll just have to take my word :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Youtube randomly threw a video at me today I watched a few minutes of. American dude describing rugby for American football fans. He sounded enthused about it, describing it as an entire sport like the exciting final play in American football.
I wonder whether rugby could make any serious headway in popularity in the US from tapping into this.
It's obviously never going to be a major professional sport, but the way seems clear for a decent international team at least with players playing abroad.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

There's a 13 teams Rugby union league and a 4 teams Rugby league league.

The Toronto Wolfpack tried to play in the British system but it's first season was 2020. So, that killed any short term future of that project.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on February 13, 2023, 06:10:33 PMYoutube randomly threw a video at me today I watched a few minutes of. American dude describing rugby for American football fans. He sounded enthused about it, describing it as an entire sport like the exciting final play in American football.
I wonder whether rugby could make any serious headway in popularity in the US from tapping into this.
It's obviously never going to be a major professional sport, but the way seems clear for a decent international team at least with players playing abroad.

US Rugby already has teams at the club, high school, college, international, and professional levels.  Men and women at every level except professional (professional women's rugby has fizzled when attempted).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on February 13, 2023, 06:10:33 PMYoutube randomly threw a video at me today I watched a few minutes of. American dude describing rugby for American football fans. He sounded enthused about it, describing it as an entire sport like the exciting final play in American football.

I think I got that same video recommended to me.  :lol:

The US is already a decent rugby team. They are only 3rd tier or so worldwide, more or less, but they regularly qualify for the WC, although they are also regularly steamrolled by almost every other team they face.

Edit: Just checked it and for this years' WC neither the US nor Canada qualified,, for the first time in decades.

I'm also seeing that the 2031 WC will actually be hosted by the US.

grumbler

Oh, Canada!  :(

Warning:  some pretty disturbing shit here, about "initiations" into Canadian Junior Hockey:
ICI Radio Canada
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

There are a couple things I don't get about rugby.

Apart from the highlight breakaway runs, 90% of the action seems to be the team with possession running four yards and getting tackled, getting back up and running another four yards.  Then once in a while instead of running four yards they kick it.  Why do they do that?

Then sometimes when the runner gets tackled instead of running another four yards both teams form a scrum.  When do you scrum and when do you run another four yards?

And what is the point of the scrum?  It seems like a show and the team that had possession always gets it back.

mongers

Al Jazeera has an American report, Kristen Saloomey, who reports on US/UN politics; I was just wondering what ethnic/country origin does this unusual surname have?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on February 13, 2023, 09:32:41 PMAl Jazeera has an American report, Kristen Saloomey, who reports on US/UN politics; I was just wondering what ethnic/country origin does this unusual surname have?

Yours.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.