News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on February 07, 2023, 09:48:07 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 07, 2023, 09:44:23 AMChildren deaths have similarly risen in Spain throughout the same years, and we don't share our translantic friends' penchant for oversized cars.

I think it has more to do with regulating traffic around schools and playgrounds.
At a glance I get a road death rate in Spain 1/3 that of the US?
For children in particular it seems similarly a lot less.

I guess explaining a rise in Spain since the 80s would be the obvious stuff of economic improvement and cars becoming drastically more common.

Don't get me wrong, overall road accidents have fallen *massively* in Spain since the 1980s, but the reduction has happened mostly in roads (that is, outside of towns), however the number of accidents in urban areas has increased. Accidents in highways tend to be much deadlier than low-speed collisions in urban areas, so overall we come out significantly ahead.

It has become an important (and controversial) issue in Barcelona. It is one of the most densely populated cities in Europe, with a corresponding traffic density.

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on February 07, 2023, 09:35:52 AMYes.

(The language and type setting used here sucks yes. But first that googled up)

Clearly we must stop building, well, anything. :P

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2023, 10:07:47 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 07, 2023, 09:35:52 AMYes.

[i70d305603dc686cebf949edc[/img]

Clearly we must stop building, well, anything. :P

Or just build sensibly.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

What's wrong with stroads?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2023, 10:07:47 AMClearly we must stop building, well, anything. :P

There are probably other building solutions.  Just a guess.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on February 07, 2023, 09:35:52 AM

:lol:   Boomers are like 80 years old and the Loser Generation is still whining about them!

Maybe if the Losers stopped trying to blame someone else and took responsibility for their own actions, the world the Losers built wouldn't look so shitty.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2023, 01:45:52 PMMaybe if the Losers stopped trying to blame someone else and took responsibility for their own actions, the world the Losers built wouldn't look so shitty.

Who are you bitching at here? Little kids? When are those fucking little children going to take responsibility for their actions?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2023, 01:53:44 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2023, 01:45:52 PMMaybe if the Losers stopped trying to blame someone else and took responsibility for their own actions, the world the Losers built wouldn't look so shitty.

Who are you bitching at here? Little kids? When are those fucking little children going to take responsibility for their actions?

What are you bitching about?  I am bitching about the absurd idea that everything bad can be blamed on "Boomers," who are now in their 70s.  I've not ever heard of a little kid bitching about "Boomers." 

I doubt that little kids will ever take responsibility for their actions.  Not being responsible is a characteristic of little children, and I don't think that you are going to be able to change human nature.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on February 06, 2023, 04:38:30 PMSmithsonian Magazine has digital renderings of some of Frank Lloyd Wright's unrealized buildings:

Lots of cool stuff here.  Thanks for sharing.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2023, 09:08:28 AM

Three notes:
1. I don't trust graphs from organizations whose data source is themselves.
2. Since pedestrian deaths are not reported by categories like "frontover," I don't think this graph is actually based on the number of real "frontovers" in the US.
3.  According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety the number of US pedestrian fatalities per 100,000 people has declined for those under 13 years of age from 3.6 in 1975 to 0.4 in 2008 and declined again to 0.3 in 2020; exactly the opposite of the claims implied in the graph.

I'm calling shenanigans.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2023, 01:45:52 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 07, 2023, 09:35:52 AM

:lol:  Boomers are like 80 years old and the Loser Generation is still whining about them!

Maybe if the Losers stopped trying to blame someone else and took responsibility for their own actions, the world the Losers built wouldn't look so shitty.

It also doesn't look as crazy from another perspective - though certainly full of truck stop vibes.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on February 07, 2023, 09:44:23 AMChildren deaths have similarly risen in Spain throughout the same years, and we don't share our translantic friends' penchant for oversized cars.

The average European car is a lot higher now than it was 20 years ago though.

SUVs are so immensely popular that a great deal of our small models' production might end up being transferred to Africa. And some of these cars were best sellers not that long ago.

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on February 07, 2023, 07:32:07 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2023, 07:09:19 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 06, 2023, 01:02:14 PMTurkiye is silly enough but I increasingly see places using the proper accent marks, which mean nothing to English speakers. That's mad.

Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2023, 11:14:42 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 06, 2023, 10:49:18 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2023, 10:29:31 AMWho is talking about soldiers?
Its an example of someone who would have different needs?

But what's the point of bringing them up? I swear there's no way of following your line of thought. Why do you mention that the chart I presented is only valid for a certain purpose if we are actually discussing that very purpose? Why do you go on a tangent nobody ever mentioned?
Pretty sure the military are one of their main customers.

Did you even read it? It's aimed for diplomats.

Another main customer.

There's no way to discuss things with you if you keep making up stuff on the fly.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on February 07, 2023, 10:07:34 AMIt has become an important (and controversial) issue in Barcelona. It is one of the most densely populated cities in Europe, with a corresponding traffic density.

It is the most densely populated city in Europe by far, you can brag about that.  :P

Sheilbh

On that!

Someone did some stuff working out the mostly densely populated square km in the UK. Then he did all of Europe - full thread here, plus video down there of most densely populated square km in every country:
https://twitter.com/undertheraedar/status/1622625736992468992?s=20&t=L8LV7g-V7xOs5F1GvQAuzcm2W1DTFl6BPFME5kKJvoA

Square kms with over 30,000 people:

140 in all of Europe and 89 of them are in Spain and fairly widely distributed too.

Some great - wildly different street layouts across Europe too :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!