Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

The US has about 3500 Abrams in storage and a running production line.

Easiest for everyone would be if 500 or so were shipped to Ukraine.

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on January 09, 2023, 12:11:22 PMThe US has about 3500 Abrams in storage and a running production line.

Easiest for everyone would be if 500 or so were shipped to Ukraine.

That's possibly the most complicated choice logistically speaking, not to mention the possible political complications. AFAIK the US is only now starting to send vehicles to Ukraine with the Bradleys that have been announced.

Threviel

Huh? A singular type is always preferable to a smattering of wildly different tanks I would assume. 

Challenger would be the odd one out with its weird ammo and few numbers. Better than nothing, but worse than Leopard/Abrams. It can boil tea at least.

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on January 09, 2023, 12:29:39 PMHuh? A singular type is always preferable to a smattering of wildly different tanks I would assume. 

I meant actually transporting them to Ukraine.

Syt

https://www.saintjavelin.com/

QuoteLet's help Ukraine. ��

Our original goal was $500.

Since then, our business has donated over $1 million from our profits to several Ukrainian Organizations including Help Us Help, a federally registered Canadian charitable organization focused on humanitarian aid and educational projects in Ukraine. We currently are supporting Unite with Ukraine and Ukrainian World Congress.

From an initial goal of $500, we've surpassed $1M in contributions from our sales, and we have no plans to stop our work.

We now have a new mission statement.

We are in business to re-build Ukraine.

Shop has t-shirts, hoodies, mugs, stickers etc.: Saint Javalin, Saint HIMARS, Saint Neptune, Saint NLAW, Sankt Panzerfaust etc.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Threviel on January 08, 2023, 04:11:27 PMNothing indicates that the Ukrainians differ very much in  tactics, their casualties are not zero. This is not a turkey shoot.

This seems to be very much incorrect.

Of course the Ukrainians are taking heavy casualties.  The Russians are throwing everything they can at them.

But the "battle" of Kherson should show you exactly how Ukraine's tactics differ.  Ukraine's strategy, knowing Russian is a much larger country, has been to wear down their ability to fight by targeting ammo, food, fuel and other supplies, often at a distance where possible. 

Russia's strategy seems to be one of frontal assaults.

But by using their own tactics the Ukrainians managed to force the Russians to abandon Kherson, and the Ukrainians retake it, without any fixed battle.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Threviel on January 09, 2023, 12:29:39 PMHuh? A singular type is always preferable to a smattering of wildly different tanks I would assume. 

Challenger would be the odd one out with its weird ammo and few numbers. Better than nothing, but worse than Leopard/Abrams. It can boil tea at least.

It's in your own backyard, and you have tanks, why rely on the US?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on January 09, 2023, 11:51:20 AMApparently Ukraine is aiming at receiving 300 tanks, the UK (which apparently only has 200+ tanks in total) giving a few is seen as a way to nudge others, mostly Germany, to donate their fair share.
We'll see if it happens - apparently its been studied since autumn. I think as much as nudging it's about providing cover for sending that type of weapon. I think Germany doesn't want to go first and doesn't want to be alone on any part of providing arms to Ukraine.

As you say, logistically maintaining, arming and operating all of these different systems must be an absolute nightmare for the Ukrainians - but breaching the taboo of providing western heavy armour is, I think good, and I'm sure the Ukrainians will get some use out of them.

I suppose the other slight benefit is it would be easy to add into the UK-based training of Ukrainian forces.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Does Germany actually have a significant amount of Leo 2 panzers?  :huh:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on January 09, 2023, 02:06:23 PMDoes Germany actually have a significant amount of Leo 2 panzers?  :huh:
Isn't it more that Germany holds the export license for them?

Germany can provide some but also authorise other countries to provide theirs too.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Threviel

Quote from: Zanza on January 09, 2023, 02:06:23 PMDoes Germany actually have a significant amount of Leo 2 panzers?  :huh:

From what I can find there are around 1300 in existence, Germany has 2-300.

I cannot find data on eventual mothballed Leopards.

Zanza

Quote from: Threviel on January 09, 2023, 02:51:56 PM

According to Wiki, a total of 3600 were built. So maybe there are some still in storage somewhere?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on January 10, 2023, 01:12:16 AM
Quote from: Threviel on January 09, 2023, 02:51:56 PM

According to Wiki, a total of 3600 were built. So maybe there are some still in storage somewhere?

Lots of them, specially the older versions, were given or sold for cheap to other nations, I think.
At least, that's the way Portugal got some of them, through the Netherlands first though.