Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Jacob on November 14, 2022, 12:38:52 PMRegarding the Wagner execution video, do we know how / why the victim ended up in Russian hands again?

I'm pretty sure I watched the video of him from Ukraine, where he described how he'd taken the Wagner deal, then basically walked to the Ukrainian lines and surrendered a few days after arriving. He also talked some trash about Putin, and offered to find on the Ukrainian side (if it's the guy I think it is).

I haven't watched the execution video (and won't), but the face in the widely circulated still looks very similar IMO. The things I've read say that he was exchanged to Russia, and that's how he ended up in Wagner's hands. Does anyone know how someone who apparently was going to fight for Ukraine ended up being handed over to Russia?

Ukrainians exchanged him for one of their own. Wagner made him say before his execution by sledgehammer that they had abducted him from the Ukrainians which sounds like BS.   
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Don't Russian POWs being returned to Russia typically look pretty downcast?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Legbiter on November 14, 2022, 01:02:22 PMUkrainians exchanged him for one of their own. Wagner made him say before his execution by sledgehammer that they had abducted him from the Ukrainians which sounds like BS.

Thanks.

On the face of it, Ukraine exchanging him seems kind of uncool on the face of it, given the statements they've repeatedly and publicly made to encourage Russians to surrender.

Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye, but I suppose we're unlikely to find out.

The Brain

I wouldn't trust Wagner scum to fight by my side. Being in a prisoner exchange is always a possibility if you're a POW. Give up a Wagner dude to get a Ukrainian back? Yes please.

Legbiter

Well, nobody forced the Russians to execute one of their own... If Wagner wants to model themselves on the SS they should be treated accordingly.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Legbiter on November 14, 2022, 12:16:26 PMThe Russians stole a raccoon from a Kherson zoo before retreating.  :huh:  And Ukrainian social media demands it's return.  :lol:

Do the russians expect the raccoon to do their washing?

Legbiter

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on November 14, 2022, 01:06:52 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on November 14, 2022, 01:02:22 PMUkrainians exchanged him for one of their own. Wagner made him say before his execution by sledgehammer that they had abducted him from the Ukrainians which sounds like BS.

Thanks.

On the face of it, Ukraine exchanging him seems kind of uncool on the face of it, given the statements they've repeatedly and publicly made to encourage Russians to surrender.

Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye, but I suppose we're unlikely to find out.

Well if he was taken as prisoner of war it seems to be acceptable to exchange him.

And not only was he a Wagner mercenary but also I think a convicted murdered recruited from a prison. Can't fault the Ukrainians for not enlisting his services.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on November 14, 2022, 02:39:54 PMWell if he was taken as prisoner of war it seems to be acceptable to exchange him.

IIRC, Ukraine has put a fair bit of effort into propagating the message "surrender. We won't send you back if you don't want to go back." So yes and no, from my perspective.

QuoteAnd not only was he a Wagner mercenary but also I think a convicted murdered recruited from a prison. Can't fault the Ukrainians for not enlisting his services.

For sure.

I wonder how this will impact the likelihood of Wagnerites surrendering moving forward, though. Obviously, the Wagner demonstration and execution is intended to lower that likelihood.

The Brain

Not being killed in action, and getting access to food and humane treatment, will likely remain fairly attractive reasons for Russians to surrender.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on November 14, 2022, 12:38:52 PMRegarding the Wagner execution video, do we know how / why the victim ended up in Russian hands again?

I'm pretty sure I watched the video of him from Ukraine, where he described how he'd taken the Wagner deal, then basically walked to the Ukrainian lines and surrendered a few days after arriving. He also talked some trash about Putin, and offered to find on the Ukrainian side (if it's the guy I think it is).

I haven't watched the execution video (and won't), but the face in the widely circulated still looks very similar IMO. The things I've read say that he was exchanged to Russia, and that's how he ended up in Wagner's hands. Does anyone know how someone who apparently was going to fight for Ukraine ended up being handed over to Russia?

He said that he'd been kidnapped.  He is the guy who talked on Ukrainian TV about being recruited out of prison and how he'd like to fight against Russia.

Some sources say that they think it likelier than he was exchanged, but I don't think this likely.  First, because he would have resisted reparation and Ukraine would gain nothing by involuntarily returning him, and second, Wagner would gain a lot more benefit from having their guys think that the Ukrainians will repatriate them if they desert than they would from having their guys think that the group had a one-off ability to snatch them from Ukraine. 

OTOH, he had a rap sheet a mile long and was serving time for a double murder, so maybe Ukraine didn't want him walking their streets.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2022, 04:30:25 PMHe said that he'd been kidnapped.  He is the guy who talked on Ukrainian TV about being recruited out of prison and how he'd like to fight against Russia.

Ah, that's the detail that I apparently had reversed.

QuoteSome sources say that they think it likelier than he was exchanged, but I don't think this likely.  First, because he would have resisted reparation and Ukraine would gain nothing by involuntarily returning him, and second, Wagner would gain a lot more benefit from having their guys think that the Ukrainians will repatriate them if they desert than they would from having their guys think that the group had a one-off ability to snatch them from Ukraine. 

OTOH, he had a rap sheet a mile long and was serving time for a double murder, so maybe Ukraine didn't want him walking their streets.

Yeah if he was kidnapped/ captured, then everything about this brutal story makes more sense to me.

Tonitrus

And also a bit concerning if Wagner is able to move about inside Ukraine and abduct people.

Not that I'd be surprised that it probably pretty easy for Russian/Wagner operatives to move about inside Ukraine...exposing themselves for such a cheap stunt seems rather high-risk/low-reward for said operatives.

Unless that is about all they can manage.

Josquius

Interesting to see the numbers the Ukrainians have brought to the climate summit.

I've wondered about that for months. As insignificant as it might seem amidst the human suffering the environmental damage and waste is depressing.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 14, 2022, 06:01:00 PMAnd also a bit concerning if Wagner is able to move about inside Ukraine and abduct people.

Not that I'd be surprised that it probably pretty easy for Russian/Wagner operatives to move about inside Ukraine...exposing themselves for such a cheap stunt seems rather high-risk/low-reward for said operatives.

Unless that is about all they can manage.

I am not sure how they pulled that off (if they did).  Maybe they got some cooperation from the Ukrainian side based on the kind of guy Nuzhin was?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!