Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on November 06, 2022, 10:47:47 AMThe Mosin-Nagant rifle in use today was great in the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-05. :sleep:
Didn't they lose that war too?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZSRDFdsrqo

Abandoned Ukrainian dogs form lines for food.

This has to be staged, doesn't it?

Josquius

Over the top covers likely over estimating. Not just drastically exaggerating.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2022, 03:05:30 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZSRDFdsrqo

Abandoned Ukrainian dogs form lines for food.

This has to be staged, doesn't it?

Could just be a lucky photo of the dogs standing like that in that moment which has been anthromorphised.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Nah, dogs are pack animals. Once hierarchy is established they don't spend their entire time challenging it.

That said, it's probably the angle of the photo.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

I don't know anything about this specific thing, but it is pretty cool I think how well-behaved street dogs are in the countries where I've encountered them at least, which is mostly in South America.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on November 06, 2022, 06:59:50 PMThe Guardian's Ukraine fatigue continues: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/06/us-says-zelenskiy-risks-allies-ukraine-fatigue-if-he-rejects-russia-talks-report

That's not fair.  They're reporting what they say are US statements to Ukraine.  That's not their own editorial line.

DGuller

In Moscow, the dogs learned to take the subway to commute, so I guess they can learn by observing humans.

jimmy olsen

Things do seem to have got even bloodier for the Russians than usual. Even with the conscripts and penal battalions, is this really sustainable through the winter?

https://news.yahoo.com/ukrainian-armed-forces-kill-over-071828396.html
QuoteUkrainian Armed Forces kill over 800 Russian soldiers in 24 hours

Russia has lost more than 840 military personnel in Ukraine in the course of the past 24 hours; most of these were killed on the Lyman and Avdiivka fronts. Source: General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on Facebook Quote from the General Staff: "840 occupiers and 28 armoured vehicles in 24 hours; though it's not a record, these numbers are...

Not just Ukraine reporting the casualties
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1588998226652581888
QuoteAccording to Russian media outlet Verstka, Ukrainian forces attacked the battalion of mobilized Russians, killing hundreds near Makiivka village in the embattled Luhansk Oblast on Nov. 2.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1589300375583981569
QuoteAnd here is the letter itself from the 155th Marine Brigade that is on everyone's lips today. The brigade was ordered to advance to Uhledar via Pavlivka. They mention 300 casualties (dead and wounded) in just 4 days, and these are marines.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

There is a video on Twitter of conscripts verbally abusing their (drunk) commanding officer.  Seems straight from Dr. Zhivago, save for the shots.  Hopefully next one will have shooting as well.

Legbiter

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2022, 08:34:02 PMThings do seem to have got even bloodier for the Russians than usual. Even with the conscripts and penal battalions, is this really sustainable through the winter?

No. Hence all the threats and bluster. Ukrainians just need to sit tight and continue to attrit the Russians (vatniks launching all these unsupported frontal assaults helps immensely) until the ground freezes and then pick a time and place of their choosing to cut the Russian front in two.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

RUSI calls for F16, Grippens etc to be sent to Ukraine on the back of their report:

QuoteRussian airpower could overwhelm Ukraine unless West steps in, experts warn

More defence systems and fighter jets are needed to stop Kremlin strikes, new report says

Russia could overwhelm Ukraine with airpower if the West does not supply defence systems and fighter jets, top military analysts have warned.

The West must "urgently bolster" Ukrainian air-defence capacity, including with American F-16 and F-18, and Swedish Gripen aircraft.

Russian pilots have been cautious throughout the war, so even a small number of Western fighters could have a major deterrent effect, according to the report by the Royal United Services Institute (Rusi).

It warns that Western military aid is focussed mainly on the ground war as Ukraine has been successful in holding back Russia's air force.

However, "there is a real danger that this success leads to Western complacency about the threat that [Russian air power] can still pose to Ukrainian forces, infrastructure and cities if given an opening".

Speaking to the Telegraph, Justin Bronk, the report's lead author, said F-16, F-18 and Gripens could offer Ukrainian fighter pilots "far superior radar performance and the ability to use far longer ranged and more capable Western air-to-air missiles" compared with the Soviet-made Su-27 and Mig-29 models Ukraine is currently operating.

Full article here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/11/07/russian-airpower-could-overwhelm-ukraine-unless-west-steps-experts/

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

1. Assuming no "Ukrainian" pilots called Sven Borksson, how long would it take to train Ukrainian pilots to operate new fighters?
2. Has training of Ukrainian pilots already started this year hush-hush like?

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on November 07, 2022, 10:49:27 AM1. Assuming no "Ukrainian" pilots called Sven Borksson, how long would it take to train Ukrainian pilots to operate new fighters?
I would imagine you could get pilots trained pretty quickly - at least to a basic level of competence. Probably 6 months or so, assuming you have somewhere to do it.

I would think getting the infrastructure in place would be the harder part - you can't go off and do that at some "undisclosed" location.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on November 07, 2022, 10:52:19 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 07, 2022, 10:49:27 AM1. Assuming no "Ukrainian" pilots called Sven Borksson, how long would it take to train Ukrainian pilots to operate new fighters?
I would imagine you could get pilots trained pretty quickly - at least to a basic level of competence. Probably 6 months or so, assuming you have somewhere to do it.

I would think getting the infrastructure in place would be the harder part - you can't go off and do that at some "undisclosed" location.

Which infrastructure do you mean? C3 systems?