News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 19, 2022, 09:02:11 AMWhy does the Globe & Mail hates the security personnel?

British celebrities have been making a big show of standing in line like ordinary subjects of the crown so I guess the expectation is that Prime Ministers do the same? But first of all only the British have a similar love of standing in line and secondly I don't see Liz Truss standing in line and surely the PM of Canada should not do anything to indicated second class status to the British, that would be diplomatically embarrassing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

It's a nonsense. All the leaders got separate time to view the lying in state.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2022, 09:09:29 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 19, 2022, 09:02:11 AMWhy does the Globe & Mail hates the security personnel?

British celebrities have been making a big show of standing in line like ordinary subjects of the crown so I guess the expectation is that Prime Ministers do the same? But first of all only the British have a similar love of standing in line and secondly I don't see Liz Truss standing in line and surely the PM of Canada should not do anything to indicated second class status to the British, that would be diplomatically embarrassing.

There's also the logistics of it. Security details for heads of state standing outside and barely moving for hours on end, having to attend government matters to some extent (maybe?), and the increased media circus it might create, distracting from what should be a somber time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Yeah, it was a stupid tweet. Not one head of government would be standing out for hours. To think they would is stupid.

On that note, watching a bit of the funeral today. Now, as the royals left Windsor Castle, they were picked up in limos and driven out. But some nobles, had to walk out of the castle grounds. I guess second-tier aristocrats don't get to park in the castle grounds...lol..
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Limos are for Dukes, you puny Earls can take a hike
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 19, 2022, 11:10:38 AMYeah, it was a stupid tweet. Not one head of government would be standing out for hours. To think they would is stupid.

Jason Kenney flew to London on his own dime and stood in line for 14 hours in order to pay his respects to Her Majesty.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Justin Trudeau just has to be Justin Trudeau.

Saturday night while in London at a hotel piano bar Justin Trudeau belt's out Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody along with a Quebec musician playing piano.  To my eyes he's had a few drinks in him as well (though nothing unseemly).

https://globalnews.ca/news/9139373/justin-trudeau-queen-elizabeth-funeral-singing/

Lots of criticism on Twitter that he was inappropriate, since he's there to pay respects to Her Majesty.  The news article goes out of its way to point out this happened on Saturday night, and not Sunday night (the night before the funeral) but I really don't see how that makes much distinction.

What say you Languish?

Barrister

Curious how Kim Campbell made the cut to go to London for the Funeral, while Brian Mulroney and Joe Clark did not (although I googled and see they're heading up a remembrance ceremony in Ottawa).

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2022, 01:18:37 PMJustin Trudeau just has to be Justin Trudeau.

Saturday night while in London at a hotel piano bar Justin Trudeau belt's out Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody along with a Quebec musician playing piano.  To my eyes he's had a few drinks in him as well (though nothing unseemly).

https://globalnews.ca/news/9139373/justin-trudeau-queen-elizabeth-funeral-singing/

Lots of criticism on Twitter that he was inappropriate, since he's there to pay respects to Her Majesty.  The news article goes out of its way to point out this happened on Saturday night, and not Sunday night (the night before the funeral) but I really don't see how that makes much distinction.

What say you Languish?

Hmm.
I think I'll reserve the right to keep silent.  :shutup:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2022, 01:31:20 PMCurious how Kim Campbell made the cut to go to London for the Funeral, while Brian Mulroney and Joe Clark did not (although I googled and see they're heading up a remembrance ceremony in Ottawa).

Disgraced politician Brian Mulroney? Not surprised he didn't go. No ideas about joe Clark.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2022, 01:18:37 PMJustin Trudeau just has to be Justin Trudeau.

What say you Languish?

Justin Trudeau is a goof and if Mexico and the United States (and apparently the CPC) weren't selecting even worse leaders during his tenure he would be a joke. But due to circumstances beyond his control he gets to be a goof and nobody can really do much about it. Some guys get all the luck.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2022, 01:14:44 PMJason Kenney flew to London on his own dime and stood in line for 14 hours in order to pay his respects to Her Majesty.

People who are there as private individuals should be credited for not trying to pull special benefits, even if they are famous one way or the other (though the PR value of hanging out in "the queue" should not be underestimated).

People who are there as invited guests representing various governments should follow the itineraries set out by the hosts.

Grey Fox

What say you Languish?

Everything Gregory Charles touches turns to gold. That includes JT.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 19, 2022, 05:04:59 PM

What say you Languish?

Everything Gregory Charles touches turns to gold. That includes JT.
:D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.