Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Legbiter on September 12, 2022, 10:26:16 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 12, 2022, 10:00:21 AMI find the punitive shelling of civilian infrastructure in Kharkiv especially disdainful. Fucking barbarians.

Not to mention 2 can play that game. Belgorod is just across the Russian border.
Ukraine is more civilized than that. Same like with those messages they sent to all the Russian mobile phones in Ukraine. A soldier  called to surrender but wasn't too sure, afraid he'd be killed. But the operator on the other end told him that Ukraine follows the Geneva conventions, unlike Russia.

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2022, 10:30:16 AMNuts to that.  The Ukrainians have maintained the moral high ground all through this war precisely because they don't do nonsense like that.

I mean it's a shame that the West made Ukraine promise not to use the weaponry given to them to strike inside Russia proper as Belgorod has valid military targets, but they're not striking at civilians.

The Ukrainians can absolutely blow up electricity infrastructure around Belgorod with their own weapons from behind the border now. Even if only to send a message. Probably they have other priority targets though.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Apparently multiple Russian units stationed in/around Kherson west of the Dnipro river are negotiating their surrender.

With the Ukrainians continually hitting any river crossings these units are cut off from supplies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2022, 11:31:57 AMApparently multiple Russian units stationed in/around Kherson west of the Dnipro river are negotiating their surrender.

With the Ukrainians continually hitting any river crossings these units are cut off from supplies.

That rumor has been floating around for a few hours now, I am not sure of its basis in reality - if true, it is a very good sign for the Ukrainians.

The Russians did announce they were pulling back from the perimeter closer to Kherson, which seems to signal more than just a realignment.  They are not only announcing their inability to supply the units there (it seems the reason is to be under the artillery coverage coming from the east bank), but also a withdrawal while engaged with the enemy can be a very dangerous thing.

All in all, the situation there is not as rosy as the Tankies claim, I doubt 10,000 Ukrainians have died in the past week as claimed, but it does not seem to be a rout...yet.  Give it an hour or more and I will be shown to be wrong, though I suspect days.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: PDH on September 12, 2022, 11:44:28 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2022, 11:31:57 AMApparently multiple Russian units stationed in/around Kherson west of the Dnipro river are negotiating their surrender.

That rumor has been floating around for a few hours now, I am not sure of its basis in reality - if true, it is a very good sign for the Ukrainians.

The Russians did announce they were pulling back from the perimeter closer to Kherson, which seems to signal more than just a realignment.  They are not only announcing their inability to supply the units there (it seems the reason is to be under the artillery coverage coming from the east bank), but also a withdrawal while engaged with the enemy can be a very dangerous thing.

All in all, the situation there is not as rosy as the Tankies claim, I doubt 10,000 Ukrainians have died in the past week as claimed, but it does not seem to be a rout...yet.  Give it an hour or more and I will be shown to be wrong, though I suspect days.

It was stated by a Ukrainian MOD spokesperson.

But Ukrainians do seem to manage the infowar elements pretty well, so the fact such stories are out there is certainly not accidental.

Legbiter

Ukrainian tractors hauling abandoned Russian tanks is back with a vengeance as a subgenre. :lol:  :showoff: 

Zoupa

Not sure how many Languish users are on Twitter, but if you are you've probably come across the Fellas/NAFO. I've been a member since June and wanted to share my little dude:

And for those who don't know about NAFO:

https://www.politico.eu/article/nafo-doge-shiba-russia-putin-ukraine-twitter-trolling-social-media-meme/

"The shit-posting, Twitter-trolling, dog-deploying social media army taking on Putin one meme at a time."

Threviel

Normally in battle you aren't after a total annihilation of the enemy but their retreat. If the Ukrainians want the Russians out of Kherson they should leave them an avenue of retreat. Make it a bad avenue forcing them to do a Falaise pocket retreat if possible, but still a retreat. That way they achieve their objectives with minimal loss of Ukrainian lives. A cornered enemy with no avenue of retreat is simply forced to fight it out and that's a lot costlier.

It looks like this is not what they are doing, they have himarsed every bridge and every way out. The Russians have no choice but to fight it out or retreat. Possibly much more expensive in terms of Ukrainian lives for what is essentially the same result. Remember, there are no supplies coming for trapped Ukrainian civilians either.

On the other hand, if the Russians surrender it's probably game over for the Russians.

Legbiter

Quote from: Zoupa on September 12, 2022, 11:52:05 AMNot sure how many Languish users are on Twitter, but if you are you've probably come across the Fellas/NAFO. I've been a member since June and wanted to share my little dude:

Impressive. Very nice :thumbsup:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Threviel on September 12, 2022, 11:54:06 AMNormally in battle you aren't after a total annihilation of the enemy but their retreat. If the Ukrainians want the Russians out of Kherson they should leave them an avenue of retreat. Make it a bad avenue forcing them to do a Falaise pocket retreat if possible, but still a retreat. That way they achieve their objectives with minimal loss of Ukrainian lives. A cornered enemy with no avenue of retreat is simply forced to fight it out and that's a lot costlier.

It looks like this is not what they are doing, they have himarsed every bridge and every way out. The Russians have no choice but to fight it out or retreat. Possibly much more expensive in terms of Ukrainian lives for what is essentially the same result. Remember, there are no supplies coming for trapped Ukrainian civilians either.

On the other hand, if the Russians surrender it's probably game over for the Russians.

obtaining the surrender of all those troops would probably have significant political ramifications inside Russia.

PDH

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2022, 11:48:45 AMIt was stated by a Ukrainian MOD spokesperson.

But Ukrainians do seem to manage the infowar elements pretty well, so the fact such stories are out there is certainly not accidental.

Yeah, I have read that as well.  I just don't know the size and scale of such.  Apparently units on the Russian side have been negotiating for a bit now.  If it is large scale, then it is the collapse.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

One thing also to bear in mind is that the Autumn mud season is coming, and while it is not as severe in the South, it will impact things if the rains are heavy.  By impacting things I mean it will screw up Russian supply lines likely worse than the Ukrainian ones, as the Russians have show no aptitude for logistics.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: Threviel on September 12, 2022, 11:54:06 AMNormally in battle you aren't after a total annihilation of the enemy but their retreat. If the Ukrainians want the Russians out of Kherson they should leave them an avenue of retreat. Make it a bad avenue forcing them to do a Falaise pocket retreat if possible, but still a retreat. That way they achieve their objectives with minimal loss of Ukrainian lives. A cornered enemy with no avenue of retreat is simply forced to fight it out and that's a lot costlier.

It's not like the Russians are bringing in supplies for civilians at the best of times.

I hear what you're saying, but given the absolutely horrendous morale of the Russian forces I think the odds of them putting up a heroic last stand (ala Mariupol) is pretty low.

Barrister

Reports attributed to the Moscow Times (though not on their English page as of yet) are that Putin has retreated to his Sochi mansion and cancelled meetings with military staff.

https://twitter.com/ChuckPfarrer/status/1569334222242070536

PDH

And my Albertan Legal Friend, you might be right too.  The end is inevitable in Kherson, I just think that the Russians can't even surrender correctly (or the security forces there are still using threats of violence to keep it from happening).

The surrender can't happen soon enough.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM