Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

QuoteThe Russian ministry of defence has confirmed the retreat of Russian forces from Izyum and Balakliya.

In a statement published by state media outlet RIA Novosti, the ministry claimed a decision had been made to "regroup the Russian troops stationed in the Balakliya and Izyum regions" and "step up efforts in Donetsk" so as to "achieve the stated goals of the special military operation" and "liberate" the Donbass.

It also claimed that a number of "distraction and demonstration events" had been staged in order to conceal the "real actions of the troops" and allow the withdrawal

:yeah:

Tamas

I am seeing mention of Z-marked Russian military vehicles  closing down traffic chokepoints in Moscow, but seeing no even semi-reliable confirmation of it. And anyhow I don't think any "Z"-themed military coup would be good news.

Jacob

So not "demonstrations of goodwill" but "distraction and demonstration events." Of course.

Putin remains a strategic genius.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2022, 09:57:22 AMI am seeing mention of Z-marked Russian military vehicles  closing down traffic chokepoints in Moscow, but seeing no even semi-reliable confirmation of it. And anyhow I don't think any "Z"-themed military coup would be good news.

Kind of depends what happens after the theoretical coup attempt. Anything that causes Russia to focus inward for a while would probably be alright. A "Z"-themed military coup kicking off a decade or two of internal strife doesn't mean they'll end up on top... but honestly, I don't know if there's much to choose from in terms of who potentially takes over in a theoretical post-Putin Russia.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Legbiter on September 10, 2022, 10:22:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 10, 2022, 10:06:18 AMThe Russian statement:
https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1568615332612378626?s=46&t=NOgq_Rm9G0WS6AJEyd_4lg

The Russians are now focusing on the Donetsk according to this statement, Izyum was a feint...

so was Kiev, at this rate they'll claim that the invasion of Georgia in 2008 was a feint.

anyway, let's hope it's not an ambush and lets also hope they can't get their shit together in the donbass

this made me laugh:
https://twitter.com/uamemesforces/status/1568509843421499395/photo/1

Tamas

Source is Twitter so treat it with buckets of salt for now, but:

QuoteBelgorod Oblast officials make claim Ukrainian "refugees" clogging the border region as they attempt to escape, including men.

These are actually Russian terrorists & invading Russian civilians who are running back to Russia after having looted & lived in Ukraine.

Also the separatist leader of Donetsk was posting a "situation is under control" video from the backseat of a clearly fast-travelling car, make that what you will.  :D

https://twitter.com/i/status/1568616989337296897

Sheilbh

Brings to mind the "the President is here" video six months ago.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

I'm really quite enjoying these recent updates :cheers:

Crazy_Ivan80

Feels a bit like March and early April when the Russian were doing their goodwill operation away from Kyiv.

Syt

Video:

"No panic? Russian tank in Kharkiv Oblast flees Ukrainian forces, shedding Russian soldiers as it goes, and then crashes into a tree."

https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1568284610714570757?s=20&t=50fLydIRPPazB0lRJvEudA

Russian tank riders aren't what they used to be. :( :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on September 10, 2022, 02:03:29 PMVideo:

"No panic? Russian tank in Kharkiv Oblast flees Ukrainian forces, shedding Russian soldiers as it goes, and then crashes into a tree."

https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1568284610714570757?s=20&t=50fLydIRPPazB0lRJvEudA

Russian tank riders aren't what they used to be. :( :lol:

That poor tree gave it's last full measure of devotion to Ukraine.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Malthus

The reports of heavy Ukrainian casualties in the south now fall into perspective - a necessary sacrifice to ensure Russia fully committed to defence there, while the major counterattack was prepared in the north.

One for the history books. Let's hope Ukraine's forces don't get ground down.

Not sure how Russia can come back from this. Their supply situation sounds like it is shit (they are asking for arms from the North Koreans), their morale is shit, it hardly seems likely they have any great reserves of manpower left. If they were going to conscription, they should have done so months ago. Wtf are they going to do now?

Sounds like their plan is to wait for winter and a lack of gas to force Europe to pressure Ukraine into giving up - but how likely is that to work? The US is the major supplier for Ukraine anyway.

We shouldn't celebrate prematurely, Russia is still very dangerous. But things sure aren't looking good for them right now.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius