Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Those T62s are still capable of killing soldiers Ukraine can't afford to lose.

Berkut

I am pretty sure the Russians didn't have T-55s in WW2.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on May 25, 2022, 02:29:28 PM
Quote from: Threviel on May 25, 2022, 04:32:29 AMThere are pictures of Russian T-62s going to the front. A 1960s upgrade of a WWII T-55.

Sure, modernised and improved, but the W40K feeling of the Russian army increases a lot.

Heh, I just saw the pictures.  :lol:

I suppose they will go to the DPR/LPR chaps, which they always give crap to. It would be a nightmare to integrate them in their existing units - T-62s have 4-men crews (no autoloader), and their gun is of a different caliber.

I assume they'll have been upgraded to fix these flaws?
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josquius on May 25, 2022, 03:50:31 PMI assume they'll have been upgraded to fix these flaws?

I would make no such assumption.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on May 25, 2022, 03:50:31 PMI assume they'll have been upgraded to fix these flaws?

The lack of an arm-eater is not necessarily a flaw.

celedhring

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 25, 2022, 03:02:27 PMThose T62s are still capable of killing soldiers Ukraine can't afford to lose.

If they're starting to equip units with T-62s then it looks like Russia can't afford to lose stuff, either. Again, the only way this looks "good" is if they're giving them to the separatist militias - they have shown time and time that they don't want to give them good equipment.

Also they've just raised the maximum age for contract soldiers from 40 to 65, so they're not that good in the manpower front themselves (and the fact they keep trying to avoid doing any kind of open mobilization is telling).

Threviel

Quote from: Berkut on May 25, 2022, 03:35:31 PMI am pretty sure the Russians didn't have T-55s in WW2.

The first T-54 prototype was built in '45 and serial production started in '46. You are entirely correct, I forgot the word era in my T-62 post.

That's not entirely fair, by the 60s everyone still built tanks derived and upgraded from from WWII era designs.

It would be like the UK had to start using Centurions again.

mongers

Quote from: Threviel on May 26, 2022, 03:41:43 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 25, 2022, 03:35:31 PMI am pretty sure the Russians didn't have T-55s in WW2.

The first T-54 prototype was built in '45 and serial production started in '46. You are entirely correct, I forgot the word era in my T-62 post.

That's not entirely fair, by the 60s everyone still built tanks derived and upgraded from from WWII era designs.

It would be like the UK had to start using Centurions again.

I could get behind that, there are a few at Bovington here and some not so good condition ones on the ranges.

No doubt Sweden has a few doing service in community play centres and as wildlife refuges?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Threviel

We used Centurions until the early 90s, I think that there are still some Centurion based engineering vehicles around.

The tanks are where they belong, in museums.

DGuller

All the mockery of tank variants aside, it appears that the military situation is not developing to Ukraine's advantage at the moment.  Ukrainians are openly admitting that things are grim in Donbas and they're suffering heavy casualties.  Hopefully it's not a start of a trend of Russians becoming less stupid.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on May 26, 2022, 10:35:17 AMAll the mockery of tank variants aside, it appears that the military situation is not developing to Ukraine's advantage at the moment.  Ukrainians are openly admitting that things are grim in Donbas and they're suffering heavy casualties.  Hopefully it's not a start of a trend of Russians becoming less stupid.

Knowing Ukraine it could also fingers crossed be a troll to get the Russians to do something stupid.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

War is an amazing teacher. If Russia keeps fighting, they will by necessity get better at it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Given how catastrophically bad the initial Russian invasion went at first, they couldn't help but improve as time went on.

And Ukraine is still short on a lot of supplies.  The US Lend-Lease supplies haven't started arriving yet (earlier announced supplies have).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on May 26, 2022, 10:35:17 AMAll the mockery of tank variants aside, it appears that the military situation is not developing to Ukraine's advantage at the moment.  Ukrainians are openly admitting that things are grim in Donbas and they're suffering heavy casualties.  Hopefully it's not a start of a trend of Russians becoming less stupid.

Yet in order to do so they have had to downsize the Donbass operation - which now seems limited to the Severodonetsk salient rather than cutting off the entire region. I think this is going to be their high watermark.

That said, I'm not optimistic the Ukrainians have the ability to kick them out of what they currently occupy, outside of limited operations like the one around Kharkiv - this is headed towards a stalemate in the short/mid term.

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on May 26, 2022, 10:44:46 AMGiven how catastrophically bad the initial Russian invasion went at first, they couldn't help but improve as time went on.

And Ukraine is still short on a lot of supplies.  The US Lend-Lease supplies haven't started arriving yet (earlier announced supplies have).

Yeah the Russians are finally fighting the kind of war one was expecting on day 1. With sufficient logistics even. The Ukrainians will have to do defense in depth, whittle the Russian mass down and hope to retake ceded areas later. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.