Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

When Russians lose their facilities it is mostly out of high windows where they go to look for them...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Even with digging in, I'm not sure it's in Russia's interests to pass the initiative in this war to Ukraine.  Better-motivated troops with the ability to choose the time and place have been routing superior numbers since the Battle of Issus.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: PDH on May 24, 2022, 05:24:52 PMWhen Russians lose their facilities it is mostly out of high windows where they go to look for them...

That's a cliche, not always true.  Some of them choose to joust on foot without a weapon against a fast moving car.  Some of them dive head first at extremely high speeds into small bullet shaped pieces of metal.  Some choose to add rare poisons to their food as part of elaborate culinary dares.  There's a lot of diversity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 24, 2022, 07:40:00 PMBetter-motivated troops with the ability to choose the time and place have been routing superior numbers since the Battle of Issus.
Discipline beats numbers.  I've heard that before... :P

I agree that ideally, they'd be on the offensive in a time and place of their choosing.

Yeah, well, no matter what, the Russians are pretty stuck.  I'm not sure they have the capabilities to mount a large scale offensive anymore.  Might be that digging in is currently their best option, regroup and reorganize supply while they hold a stronger position.  Maybe the commanders have been promised new equipment to replace the losses.  New troops doesn't seem to be a given, without conscription, but maybe they're hoping to encircle one city at a time.  Worked in Mariupol, seems to work right now in some other cities.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but at the beginning of the war, didn't the Russians had 2,800 tanks in their active forces. So, this is 1/4th of the tanks in the entire army?

Russia - 4035, of which: destroyed: 2331, damaged: 75, abandoned: 294, captured: 1334

Tanks (700, of which destroyed: 380, damaged: 22, abandoned: 53, captured: 242

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Threviel

There are pictures of Russian T-62s going to the front. A 1960s upgrade of a WWII T-55.

Sure, modernised and improved, but the W40K feeling of the Russian army increases a lot.

Maladict

They are going to make great savings on storage and maintenance.

Legbiter

Quote from: Threviel on May 25, 2022, 04:32:29 AMThere are pictures of Russian T-62s going to the front. A 1960s upgrade of a WWII T-55.

Sure, modernised and improved, but the W40K feeling of the Russian army increases a lot.

At this rate they'll be using T-34s in August.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: Maladict on May 25, 2022, 05:58:51 AMThey are going to make great savings on storage and maintenance.

I suspect they were already making great savings on storage and maintenance, but maybe now even greater savings!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Something worth remembering when thinking about the Russian economy.

The value of the ruble on Dec. 31 before the crisis was 74.79 vs. the USD. It is now 58.91. The net result of sanctions and higher oil prices is: a significantly stronger ruble. It is just one metric but at least by that metric they are holding things together.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on May 25, 2022, 08:55:25 AMSomething worth remembering when thinking about the Russian economy.

The value of the ruble on Dec. 31 before the crisis was 74.79 vs. the USD. It is now 58.91. The net result of sanctions and higher oil prices is: a significantly stronger ruble. It is just one metric but at least by that metric they are holding things together.
My understanding is that it's a highly misleading metric.  For one, the Russian government wants you to reach conclusions by watching this metric, so they're going to make sure it looks good if they can help it.  Another reason it's misleading is that Russia is getting a lot of foreign currency they can do nothing with, due to economic blockade.  If your bank account is rapidly swelling, because no one is allowed to sell you anything, even food, are you really doing that well?

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 25, 2022, 08:59:37 AMMy understanding is that it's a highly misleading metric.  For one, the Russian government wants you to reach conclusions by watching this metric, so they're going to make sure it looks good if they can help it.  Another reason it's misleading is that Russia is getting a lot of foreign currency they can do nothing with, due to economic blockade.  If your bank account is rapidly swelling, because no one is allowed to sell you anything, even food, are you really doing that well?

Is there an economic blockade? Excluding Canada, US, EU, Japan, Singapore, and Australia/New Zealand, how tight are sanctions on Russia?

China plus India are a healthy chunk of the world's population by themselves.

The Minsky Moment

Russia has benefitted from higher energy prices and continued Euro purchases of gas but the consensus forecasts both internally and externally for 2022 are pretty consistent: GDP growth of -8 to -12 percent; inflation of 15-22%.

The ruble has been bolstered by capital controls, requiring 80% of all private forex earnings to be converted to rubles.  Put simply, if you force people to sell almost all their dollars for rubles, the ruble will go up.  But this is not really helpful to the Russian economy - on the contrary, the high valuation on the ruble is a drag on the real economy and Russia recently relaxed the capital controls to try to bring it down.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 24, 2022, 08:25:00 PM
Quote from: PDH on May 24, 2022, 05:24:52 PMWhen Russians lose their facilities it is mostly out of high windows where they go to look for them...

That's a cliche, not always true.  Some of them choose to joust on foot without a weapon against a fast moving car.  Some of them dive head first at extremely high speeds into small bullet shaped pieces of metal.  Some choose to add rare poisons to their food as part of elaborate culinary dares.  There's a lot of diversity.

All time favourite: the former oil executive who allegedly chose a local shaman's toad juice as a hangover cure.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/toad-poison-hangover-treatment-reportedly-kills-russian-oil-executive/#app
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Threviel on May 25, 2022, 04:32:29 AMThere are pictures of Russian T-62s going to the front. A 1960s upgrade of a WWII T-55.

Heh, I just saw the pictures.  :lol:

I suppose they will go to the DPR/LPR chaps, which they always give crap to. It would be a nightmare to integrate them in their existing units - T-62s have 4-men crews (no autoloader), and their gun is of a different caliber.