Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on April 27, 2022, 01:59:57 AMCroatia's president supports Putin against NATO membership for Sweden and Finland. But my understanding is that his role is ceremonial and he doesn't really have a say. The government supports NATO membership.

Apparently he's demanding that Bosnia Herzegovina amends its electoral law to give croats more voice before supporting NATO enlargement. That's some truly weird blackmail, B-H isn't even in NATO.

The Larch

Russia cuts the gas supply to Poland and Bulgaria for refusing to pay in rubles.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on April 27, 2022, 04:20:35 AMRussia cuts the gas supply to Poland and Bulgaria for refusing to pay in rubles.

I am guessing one reason to pick on them in particular is they are transit countries. I think the Russians are betting on them taking the gas they paid for from the transit gas, creating friction within the EU.

Sheilbh

EU is apparently preparing for Russia to impose a general embargo - although Reuters have reported that four European gas buyers have started paying in Rubles so they may try to meet those contracts/commitments?
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2022, 04:44:34 AMEU is apparently preparing for Russia to impose a general embargo - although Reuters have reported that four European gas buyers have started paying in Rubles so they may try to meet those contracts/commitments?
Hungary and who else?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2022, 05:01:40 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2022, 04:44:34 AMEU is apparently preparing for Russia to impose a general embargo - although Reuters have reported that four European gas buyers have started paying in Rubles so they may try to meet those contracts/commitments?
Hungary and who else?

Austria, I think. Maybe Slovenia.

Zanza

In Germany, it is private companies buying the gas. Not sure of the government can even stop them from paying in rubles. Is there a legal basis for this from the sanction regime?

Tamas

Hungarian FM said they are transferring the money in euros but managed to setup a scheme where the Russian bank they send it to then converts it to rubels and forwards it as payment for the gas.

Zanza

By the way, Poland will of course still get Russian gas via Nordstream 1 pipeline. Germany apparently exports about half the Russian gas we import...

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on April 27, 2022, 05:42:59 AMBy the way, Poland will of course still get Russian gas via Nordstream 1 pipeline. Germany apparently exports about half the Russian gas we import...

I think Ursula VdL already came out saying that Poland and Bulgaria had nothing to worry about because other EU countries would sell them the gas they'd need for the moment.

Legbiter

Quote from: Zanza on April 26, 2022, 11:34:04 PMSome details on the technical dependency on dual use Western electronics for Russian weapons. The sanctions will bite, but they will try to get it via third countries.

Belarus will make a killing.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Legbiter on April 27, 2022, 06:08:13 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 26, 2022, 11:34:04 PMSome details on the technical dependency on dual use Western electronics for Russian weapons. The sanctions will bite, but they will try to get it via third countries.

Belarus will make a killing.  :hmm:

Belarus has been making a killing with sanctions since 2014.

Josquius

Isn't Belarus included in the current set of sanctions?

The main leaky spot I've heard is India.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on April 27, 2022, 01:59:57 AMCroatia's president supports Putin against NATO membership for Sweden and Finland. But my understanding is that his role is ceremonial and he doesn't really have a say. The government supports NATO membership.

Ahh Croatia, the only place that gives Serbia a run for their money
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.