Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Guys, sit down:  Ukrainians just shelled the airfield at Chornobaivka.  It seems pretty unimaginative to just keep bombing the same place night after night.

Crazy_Ivan80

That said, Ukrainian special forces have apparently partially destroyed a railway bridge in Russia itself. In the line netwerk -iirc- belgorod and charkiv.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on April 13, 2022, 08:53:18 PMFrom twitter:
QuoteWe should be skeptical about reports that the Ukrainian military badly damaged Russia's flagship cruiser. It's possible Moskva simply fell out of a window and then sunk to the bottom of the Black Sea.

:lol:
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

I hear the Moskva thing is just rumours, apparently it's not a sinking but a special underwater operation.

Iormlund

Iormlund

Going back the the Steinmeier thing. I think Germany has to take a hard look at itself and how disastrous its foreign policy has been for the past ... 25 years?

For a country that's supposed to be the core of the European Union, it has sure tried its damnedest to piss off half of the club.

It's not exactly surprising that the consensus in, for example, the Spanish EUOT is that the Germans are a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites and will sell the Ukrainians out at the first opportunity.

That being said, I would've just taken Steinmeier to see the fruits of his labor, cameras rolling, rather than declaring him persona non grata.

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on April 14, 2022, 05:03:21 AMGoing back the the Steinmeier thing. I think Germany has to take a hard look at itself and how disastrous its foreign policy has been for the past ... 25 years?

For a country that's supposed to be the core of the European Union, it has sure tried its damnedest to piss off half of the club.

It's not exactly surprising that the consensus in, for example, the Spanish EUOT is that the Germans are a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites and will sell the Ukrainians off at the first opportunity.

That being said, I would've just taken Steinmeier to see the fruits of his labor, cameras rolling, rather than declaring him persona non grata.

Yeah it was an understandable blunder but a blunder none the less. If Churchill was willing to put with Stalin as an ally, surely the Ukrainians can put up with the Germans.

celedhring

If confirmed as sunk, would the Moskva be the largest naval loss since WWII, or am I missing something?

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2022, 06:25:45 AMIf confirmed as sunk, would the Moskva be the largest naval loss since WWII, or am I missing something?

Either that or the Belgrano.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2022, 06:31:12 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2022, 06:25:45 AMIf confirmed as sunk, would the Moskva be the largest naval loss since WWII, or am I missing something?

Either that or the Belgrano.

Belgrano was slightly smaller.

celedhring

Spanish EUOT has pointed me to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Card - although it was refloated.

Darth Wagtaros

Quora is full of Russians. They keep saying that American special operations forces (10th Mountain, Rangers, Seals, etc) are dying by hundreds or thousands, due to them being overrated and incompetent.  Apparently NATO and Europe in general are now fully aware that the US military is a paper tiger that is incapable of defending them should it come to it.
PDH!

celedhring

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 14, 2022, 06:46:08 AMQuora is full of Russians. They keep saying that American special operations forces (10th Mountain, Rangers, Seals, etc) are dying by hundreds or thousands, due to them being overrated and incompetent.  Apparently NATO and Europe in general are now fully aware that the US military is a paper tiger that is incapable of defending them should it come to it.

Quora is such a weird place to troll.

Duque de Bragança

Never heard of Quora before.
Now that's good advertisement.

Sheilbh

Incidentally this is still based on early reports, but this is an example of Ukrainian smarts that we've seen in this war.

Reportedly it was during a bit of a storm so there was reduced visibility which meant the ship might not have seen ground preparations by Ukrainian forces. The Ukrainians used Bayraktars to distract the Moskva (and presumably also to provide targeting information) and then hit them with a missile (Neptun, which I think is domestic) while their radar and attention was distracted dealing with the Bayraktars.

If it's true that's not the most complicated plan in the world but it shows the adaptability and using natural advantages and clever opportunism that seems to run through all the way Ukraine's operated in this war. Which is exactly what I think a "weaker" party needs in a war like this.
Let's bomb Russia!