News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Less aches, more crying.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

One things where I really notice I'm getting older is how much it takes me to recover from big, fat, booze-laced, family get-togethers. Today it was my brother's birthday and I've been lying in half-stupor for hours.

Sheilbh

Fascinating story - Adenauer used domestic intelligence agency to spy on the SPD for about a decade. They had a mole right at the top of the party passing information about what the SPD had planned from 1953 to 62:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/08/germany-1950s-chancellor-konrad-adenauer-spy-agency-infiltrate-rival-party-watergate?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Obviously Adenauer got multiple election wins - the head of the agency who provided him with this info got appointed head of Germany's new intelligence agency when that was created in 1956.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Mimi Reinhardt, the lady that typed Schindler's List, died aged 107. It's amazing that we still have a few witnesses of that age among us. RIP.

Eddie Teach

I'll assume you mean the actual list and not the screenplay.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on April 10, 2022, 02:00:37 PMOne things where I really notice I'm getting older is how much it takes me to recover from big, fat, booze-laced, family get-togethers. Today it was my brother's birthday and I've been lying in half-stupor for hours.

At least you had years without that.
I've always been prone to harsh hang overs. Often without even drinking
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2022, 12:09:24 PMExtraordinary. RIP.

For a moment I thought you were lamenting Tyr's upcoming death by extreme acid reflux.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Amazing story/stat -  "In June 2020, Zillow Group ... announced that employees could move anywhere in the country & never return to an office. The company now has more than 300 employees living in New York City, a 15% increase compared with two years earlier." :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2022, 04:29:06 PMAmazing story/stat -  "In June 2020, Zillow Group ... announced that employees could move anywhere in the country & never return to an office. The company now has more than 300 employees living in New York City, a 15% increase compared with two years earlier." :lol:

:hmm:
I look forward to the book analysing this great shift.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Lucky or not?

Skydiver Survives 13,500ft Fall After Leg Got Tangled In Parachute

QuoteAfter about ten seconds of freefall, she moved away from her coach and pulled the cord to release her parachute, but the pilot chute – the smaller one that comes out before the main canopy – was wrapped around her leg.
Her leg was then suspended in the air as she fell at 125mph, with nothing to slow her down, and as she desperately scrambled to try and free herself, her reserve chute was automatically released.

The jolt of the release catapulted the main canopy out its bag, and the two inflated parachutes flew away from each other to create a 'downplane', propelling her to the ground even faster.
"Everything happened really quickly," Jordan recalled.
"I didn't have any thoughts because I was spiralling so I didn't know what was going on, I was just in strategy mode."
Credit: SWNS

She hit the ground 20 seconds after pulling her release cord, and remarkably remained conscious - though she maybe wishes she hadn't.
"First I tried to push myself off the ground, and when I couldn't move anything my first thought was I was paralysed and I was yelling that out," she said.
"I've never heard sounds like those come out of my body. I screamed bloodcurdling screams."
She continued: "I hit with my left leg first and then I bounced off of my butt and faceplanted, and that's how I broke my back.

"There was just extreme burning through my lower back and down my legs."
An air ambulance rushed her to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, where she was told she had broken most of her lower back, her tibia and ankle, as well as sustaining a spinal cord injury.
Jordan - who works in sales for a contractor - had to spend the best part of a month in hospital, where doctors decompressed her spinal cord, before performing spinal fusion surgery and removing bone fragments. Jordan also had surgery to fix her broken tibia and ankle.

Despite all of this, she remained grateful and positive.
"I was very thankful to be alive, that was my thought I had most often," she recollected.
"I had a lot of hope in that I would walk again, even though I couldn't lift my legs or move them back and forth.
"I had a lot of hope that I would do everything I wanted to do again."
Jordan had a two-week hiking trip to Mount Everest planned for just three days after her ill-fated skydive, and despite the fact she still suffers from aspects of her spinal cord injury - with symptoms such as numbness, nerve pain and pelvic floor dysfunction - she has now set her sights on tackling it in November.

damn.  Surviving is some luck, but getting stuck with the pain for the rest of your life...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on April 11, 2022, 12:08:47 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 10, 2022, 02:00:37 PMOne things where I really notice I'm getting older is how much it takes me to recover from big, fat, booze-laced, family get-togethers. Today it was my brother's birthday and I've been lying in half-stupor for hours.

At least you had years without that.
I've always been prone to harsh hang overs. Often without even drinking

You should drink more water.