Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2022, 11:16:14 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 30, 2022, 10:44:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2022, 08:42:42 AMWtf, covid. Why am I starting to get bits of a cough now while testing negative? :angry:
It may not be covid.  Could be cold or the flu.

I haven't been around other people since I got covid so it would have needed to be hiding out while I had covid?
Could be covid then, if you took a quick test, they are not as reliable as the regular ones.  False negatives remain a possibility, as well as false positives (it happened recently to the mayor of the city I work at).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Highest infection rates in UK since April 2020.

We are probably not far behind.  The public health policy bet is that hospital rates will not increase enough to overwhelm hospitals.

Imagine if other safety related regulations had the same logic.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2022, 08:15:22 AMImagine if other safety related regulations had the same logic.
that's pretty much the reason behind such regulations.`
we have anti-tobacco policies because it overwhelms cancer units of hospitals.

and a smoker is given the choice: stop smoking or you'll silently glide behind everyone else in the priority list.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2022, 08:15:22 AMHighest infection rates in UK since April 2020.
What? :blink:

That's a very weird stat because in April 2020 we barely had any testing. I assume it just means since mass testing/surveillance started because I think we've basically had higher infection rates than April 2020 since April 2020 :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2022, 05:53:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2022, 08:15:22 AMHighest infection rates in UK since April 2020.

That's a very weird stat because in April 2020 we barely had any testing. I assume it just means since mass testing/surveillance started because I think we've basically had higher infection rates than April 2020 since April 2020 :huh:

Current estimate is 4.9 million people had covid last week in the UK, that's about 1 in 13! :bleeding:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2022, 07:29:37 PM

Current estimate is 4.9 million people had covid last week in the UK, that's about 1 in 13! :bleeding:

Seal off the UK, 28 Days Later style?  :P
Wait, the UK is generally 2 weeks ahead of the mainland.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 03, 2022, 01:33:47 AMWait, the UK is generally 2 weeks ahead of the mainland.
In this case I think we're a little bit behind - the Netherlands and Denmark have just had their biggest waves (looking at infections). But as with other waves it is coming - this is a little out of date but it's basically the new sub-variant of Omicron:

The thing that worries me about this isn't the numbers on their own, but that we're seeing more infections among older and more vulnerable people. I don't think there's been enough of a push on spring boosters (see above: I hadn't even realised they were happening :blush:) and I'm not sure they should be as restricted as they are. I don't see why we're not offering boosters to all the risk groups. Although, having said that, there are signs it's peaked and as with omicron the Dutch and Danish experience is that cases fall as quickly as they spike.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 03, 2022, 01:33:47 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2022, 07:29:37 PM

Seal off the UK, 28 Days Later style?  :P
Wait, the UK is generally 2 weeks ahead of the mainland.
:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 03, 2022, 07:19:59 AM. Although, having said that, there are signs it's peaked and as with omicron the Dutch and Danish experience is that cases fall as quickly as they spike.

True, but it caused absolute havoc at the workplace. We had over a quarter of the company out sick at one point.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Oh dear.
Mother's friend works in a supermarket. Just got back from holidays and has caught covid.
Calls up work to tell them. Person on the phone says they'll check with their manager what to do... They call back an hour later - you can come in anyway, just wear a mask. :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on April 04, 2022, 04:16:46 AMOh dear.
Mother's friend works in a supermarket. Just got back from holidays and has caught covid.
Calls up work to tell them. Person on the phone says they'll check with their manager what to do... They call back an hour later - you can come in anyway, just wear a mask. :bleeding:

Yep, the message both implicit and explicit has been clear for a while: covid is over, get on with avoiding a portfolio-destroying recession.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 04, 2022, 04:33:57 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 04, 2022, 04:16:46 AMOh dear.

Yep, the message both implicit and explicit has been clear for a while: covid is over, get on with avoiding a portfolio-destroying recession.

Short sighted though as places also keep running out of staff when more are stricken with inability to work.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Threviel

Why? It's not an especially dangerous disease if you're vaccinated?