Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Apparently Russian TV, in true Russian style, is reporting mass numbers of abandoned Ukranian vehicles :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josquius on April 01, 2022, 05:08:51 PMApparently Russian TV, in true Russian style, is reporting mass numbers of abandoned Ukranian vehicles :hmm:
Also thousands of American Special Operations from every service are being slaughtered like dogs due to their inherent incompetence and arrogance.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on April 01, 2022, 04:34:00 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2022, 04:20:24 PMAt the end of the day, the pressure on Ukraine to make a deal amounts to a price they are paying in civilian lives every day they don't make a deal.

It is pretty much entirely on them to decide if that is worth it.

However, I think no part of any deal should include any constraint on Western nations ability to continue to engage in economic and political warfare against Putin.

I'd like to see them operate on an oil-for-food programme, Iraqi-style, for the next 70 years.
Way too generous.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on April 01, 2022, 05:08:51 PMApparently Russian TV, in true Russian style, is reporting mass numbers of abandoned Ukranian vehicles :hmm:
The Ukrainian enemy continues his cowardly advance.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Seems like quite a few people here and in the West are prepared to fight to the last Ukrainian.

I think we should trust to Zelensky's judgement and if he feels it necessary to give concessions in order to save the lives of Ukrainian civilians being killed by Russians, then NATO and westerners should back the decision.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2022, 08:09:29 PMSeems like quite a few people here and in the West are prepared to fight to the last Ukrainian.

I think we should trust to Zelensky's judgement and if he feels it necessary to give concessions in order to save the lives of Ukrainian civilians being killed by Russians, then NATO and westerners should back the decision.

:huh: You are just repeating what every single person above you said, and then accusing them of being "prepared to fight to the last Ukrainian."  Do you even read the thread before posting self-congratulatory bullshit like this?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2022, 08:31:43 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2022, 08:09:29 PMSeems like quite a few people here and in the West are prepared to fight to the last Ukrainian.

:huh: You are just repeating what every single person above you said, and then accusing them of being "prepared to fight to the last Ukrainian."  Do you even read the thread before posting self-congratulatory bullshit like this?

Fuck off.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

QuoteAfin de se mettre en conformité avec les exigences de Roskomnadzor (le gendarme russe des communications), le livre de Léon Tolstoï "Guerre et Paix" a été renommé "Opération spéciale et haute trahison".

To conform with legal requirements of Roskomnadzor (Russian communication authority), Leon Tolstoï's book "War and Peace" has been renamed "Special operation and high treason"

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2022, 08:09:29 PMI think we should trust to Zelensky's judgement and if he feels it necessary to give concessions in order to save the lives of Ukrainian civilians being killed by Russians, then NATO and westerners should back the decision.

I trust his judgement and he has the right to give away part of the country as a peace settlement. 

However, I oppose the reduction of occidental sanctions against Russia, and I believe that a deal "oil for food" is even too generous for Russia's current regime and the level of support it enjoys in the population.

Jacob

Zelenskyy and his officials are asking for military materiel. I think we should give it to them.

I also think that the West should continue to ratchet up sanctions, and we should maintain them after any potential settlement

QuoteI think we should trust to Zelensky's judgement and if he feels it necessary to give concessions in order to save the lives of Ukrainian civilians being killed by Russians, then NATO and westerners should back the decision.

Zelenskyy can make whatever concessions are within his power, though I think they'll be predicated on getting the support of the people of Ukraine for them as well.

Personally, I expect that there will be more pressure from the West to "normalize" relations than from Ukraine, which is why I'm advocating that we take as hard a line as possible.

From a negotiation standpoint, it is better for Zelenskyy to say "Putin old boy, I'll see if I can convince those unreasonable Europeans and the US the ease off the sanctions a bit" than to be  in a position where he's hearing "come on, find a way to make peace ASAP so we can sell Coca Cola in Russia again without feeling bad."

But yes, we should support Zelenskyy.

Cessation of hostilities, saving Ukraine, and saving Ukrainian lives is of paramount importance. Russia will continue to exist at the end of this war, quite possibly with Putin at its helm. It is IMO very very likely that Russia will be dissatisfied with whatever peace is agreed upon. As such it is prudent to take action to minimize the likelihood of Russia coming back for a second kick at the can in 5-10-20 years... and maintaining sanctions and undermining Russia's industrial capacity and technological advancement is a key element there.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 01, 2022, 06:03:38 PMAlso thousands of American Special Operations from every service are being slaughtered like dogs due to their inherent incompetence and arrogance.

They have been weakened by perfidious LGBTQ mind washing.

Barrister

I'm Ukrainian-Canadian.  I don't think your characterization of people here is fair.

My first girlfriend was a Ukrainian immigrant from when she was in her teens (I met her in her early 20s).  We dated for about 3 years when I was in undergrad.  Her home town was in western Ukraine, near Romania.  I remember celebrating Orthodox Ukrainian Christmas with her family (her grandfather was an Orthodox priest).  I keep listening for any military action near her hometown - thankfully nothing.

I mean - I'm not pining for her - I broke up with her in the end.  But I very keenly feel the loss of Ukrainian civilians in this ongoing war.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

My wife and I have been trying to convince her relatives who live in Ukraine to come to Canada, but so far none are willing to leave. Even though we could sponsor them and have places for them to stay. They simply refuse to be driven out. Fortunately they are in the Western part of the country.

My sister in law (my wife's brother's wife) has a brother whose son is in the Ukrainian army. Of course they are all worried about his safety. No word yet on where he is.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

Quote from: PDH on April 01, 2022, 01:09:07 PMAs has been mentioned before, attacking a foe who is pulling back can be a very effective maneuver - sometimes turning a planned retreat into chaos.

And that seems to be the case. Ukrainians up North are reporting enormous quantities of destroyed and abandoned armored vehicles. Open intelligence source twitter accounts are complaining about the gigantic backlog of Russian kit they have to document...

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

Twitter is just awash with horror today.

Video after video of streets littered with civilian corpses lying in the streets where they were gunned down.

Russian paratroopers from the first failed assaults just heaped in piles, seemingly untouched since they were dumped there.

Streets clogged with countless burnt out Russian tanks, APCs and trucks.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point