News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sahib

Polish deserter in Belarus, used for the propaganda purposes by the Lukashenko regime, has been found dead in an apparent suicide  :hmm:
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

grumbler

Quote from: Sahib on March 17, 2022, 11:25:39 AMPolish deserter in Belarus, used for the propaganda purposes by the Lukashenko regime, has been found dead in an apparent suicide  :hmm:

Shot himself in the back with 42 rounds of .50 cal at a range of 100 yards, pausing only once to reload.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2022, 09:19:49 AMGiven Putin's yesterday speech, a lot of oligarchs must be feeling the urge to not get purged.

Yeah these kinds of speeches are never a good sign.

The Russians will continue this, they're not seriously negotiating. Should make a hard push on all fronts in the next days when they've scraped together enough logistics. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

"There will be fewer, but better, Russians."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Yeah - I still think they're playing for time in talks, about to double down and make the necessary domestic shifts for a long term move to isolation. Not good for anyone :(
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

They may or may not be seriously negotiating, but hopefully peace won't save them from a long period of isolation.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on March 17, 2022, 11:42:43 AMThey may or may not be seriously negotiating, but hopefully peace won't save them from a long period of isolation.

+1

viper37

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2022, 03:28:04 AMInteresting little anecdote about former FPÖ foreign minister Kneissl (now a "political refugee" in Southern France :rolleyes: ). You remember her:

Seems Putin gifted her with two opal earrings that a Vienna auction house valued at EUR 50,000. The interior ministry categorized this as a state gift (from foreign HoS to an Austrian state official) and has claimed ownership. Kneissl - shockingly! - disagreed. So they compromised that the earrings are loaned to her, but to be returned by her heirs upon her death. But Austrian media say the current situation is unclear because apparently the topic arose again when she left office, and it's unclear how it's been resolved. Since she has pointed out her dire financial situation in the past (after which she got a board position at Rosneft and became commentator on RT) I wouldn't be surprised if she just sold them at some point. :P
Forced to live in a small villa in Southern France, such a tragic fate after years of public service :(

Let it not be said that Russia is not fighting against poverty, rescuing hundreds of politicians and news commentators worldwide from poverty!  :sleep:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2022, 07:37:48 AMI wonder how much of that is folks with Miami villas discovering they're fifth columnists in need of purification?
I should not laugh.
I shall not laugh.
I am doing my best not to laugh.
 :lmfao:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2022, 07:43:25 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2022, 07:37:48 AMI wonder how much of that is folks with Miami villas discovering they're fifth columnists in need of purification?

It must be a tough call. They have all that wealth across the border to retreat into... but there's plenty of evidence you'll still be found and killed. So stay and hope you won't be purged if you debase yourself enough to Putin, or flee and risk branded a traitor and novichoked?
Or maybe they fear a nuclear war and would rather take their chances away from Russia... ?

viper37

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2022, 11:24:19 AMYale has a list of companies and how they've adjusted operations (or not) in Russia: https://som.yale.edu/story/2022/over-400-companies-have-withdrawn-russia-some-remain
Haliburton, wasn't that linked to Cheney?

Subway probably can't do much about it, they are franchises, independent stores, not company owned.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2022, 11:37:04 AMYeah - I still think they're playing for time in talks, about to double down and make the necessary domestic shifts for a long term move to isolation. Not good for anyone :(
if they are preparing to retreat, they are possibly inclined to do as much damage as possible to Ukraine before ordering a retreat.

Grey Fox

I don't think they are retreating. Far East troops arrived earlier this week & South Ossetia hardware is moving in.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 17, 2022, 12:40:22 PMI don't think they are retreating. Far East troops arrived earlier this week & South Ossetia hardware is moving in.

They would be pretty stupid (yeah I know) to start letting up before a deal is actually signed. If anything it's more important to push push push if a deal is actually in the cards, to get the best bargaining position and established front lines (as those exist in Ukraine).

Berkut

The US and NATO need to ramp up their support.

More stingers and Javelins? Great.

How about some Patriots? How about some cutting edge anti-artillery hardware? Drones. 

I am sure we have some M1 Abrams out there that can use a home. Lets start training some Ukrainian military on how to drive and shoot a battalion of them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned