And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on March 12, 2022, 09:52:32 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2022, 09:11:21 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2022, 08:48:39 AMMy sister-in-law has been to Chile a lot, I just asked her and she says anime in Chile is a relatively new thing, and it has been adopted by younger generations as sort of a symbol of political/social renewal. You'd go to protests and there would be people cosplaying, etc...
Interesting - that makes sense.

I've definitely seen some of the cosplay people on protests - up there with Chile's abundance of riot dogs as pretty distinctive/cool :lol:

Edit: Although maybe interesting because isn't it seen as almost the opposite in Japan - it's often dystopian and a bit of a trope of youths watching anime and not engaging (or having kids)? But it's just been totally repurposed in Chile.

The Japan comparison is curious in that it being present in Chilean politics shows how youthful it is... As opposed to gerontocratic rapidly aging Japan.

Though weird it'd be mainstream for the youth  in Chile where this is the stuff of losers in Japan.

Also odd it's new there considering the big Japanese population - Chile is the Latin American country that had the Japanese pm iirc.

Nope that was the Peruvian president iirc.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbhup there with Chile's abundance of riot dogs as pretty distinctive/cool :lol:

El Negro Matapacos!  :ph34r:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on March 12, 2022, 05:01:52 PMEl Negro Matapacos!  :ph34r:
A hero for us all :wub:

I think he'd aready passed away, so it wasn't for him - but I think last year I read an article about health officials in Santiago wanting to give a vaccination or somethng to one of the riot dogs. They couldn't find him anywhere. So they got in touch with activists who staged a fake riot as a lure - the dog came to join in and got its jab :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2022, 09:21:21 AMWell, Mono is/was the biggest anime fan in Languish  :P

Fan of anime who would gladly pirate it, most of the time.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2022, 09:56:45 AMI think you mean Peru with the Fujimoris. There's also a big Japanese population in Brazil - not sure about Chile.

Right about Peru and Brazil. Japan tried to use that connection to get some immigration to Japan of "Japanese" people but Japanese people really got assimilated so they don't work hard enough by Japanese standards.  :D

Syt

Wanted to look something up on Comixology, only to see it's finally been fully absorbed into Amazon's main store. Which also means you now can't find shit any more and have no curated sections anymore. Yay.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2022, 01:45:37 PMWanted to look something up on Comixology, only to see it's finally been fully absorbed into Amazon's main store. Which also means you now can't find shit any more and have no curated sections anymore. Yay.
Yeah. It was a big issue on Twitter with universal condemnation of the move. I prefer physical copies for the most part so haven't used Comixology, but the changes sound absolutely awful. Apparently the reader app is trash now, too. I do use Marvel Unlimited and DC Infinite to feed my random run cravings. I actually just finished up Demon Knights which was a fun little romp.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 13, 2022, 01:48:52 PMYeah. It was a big issue on Twitter with universal condemnation of the move. I prefer physical copies for the most part so haven't used Comixology, but the changes sound absolutely awful. Apparently the reader app is trash now, too. I do use Marvel Unlimited and DC Infinite to feed my random run cravings. I actually just finished up Demon Knights which was a fun little romp.

I've not used their reader, I was using Kindle on my phone which does the job well enough (incl. panel zooms). The desktop Kindle app, though ... It's locked to the vertical format for some reason, which is fine for single pages, so if you have a two page spread, it's still limited to the width of the single page vertical format, and is therefore tiny. And there's no zoom for comics (only zoom in on panels if the publisher added it) :bleeding:

I used to have Marvel Unlimited, but I find their app is pretty shit to navigate unless you know pretty exactly what you're looking for. Random browsing is not a great experience. I don't mind runs usually being ca. 6 months behind (in current series I'm really only interested in Star Wars, anyways), but the library navigation was atrocious (and their desktop reader had an incredibly bad performance). At least it was a year ago, maybe it's better now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Yeah. Marvel's desktop navigation is absolutely awful. They did lower the release to 3 months though whereas DC still has theirs at 6. DC's collection is far easier to navigate and I enjoy it a lot more. Both keep adding new back issues in addition to current releases which is pretty awesome and both have originals now, too.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

I take it Sophie Scholl is Benedict Arnold
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Correct. I needed a change. I made it happen.

Josquius

It was put to me today that there are two kinds of people in this world.

Those who whilst showering have shat into their hands and then thrown the excreta into the toilet.
...and liars.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 13, 2022, 02:20:24 PMYeah. Marvel's desktop navigation is absolutely awful. They did lower the release to 3 months though whereas DC still has theirs at 6. DC's collection is far easier to navigate and I enjoy it a lot more. Both keep adding new back issues in addition to current releases which is pretty awesome and both have originals now, too.
Problem for me is I don't think DC has any series I'd be really interested in, besides their graphic novels, maybe. Are you using a VPN to use DC Infinite?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."