Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

The German crosswalk light man is cute and should be the standard everywhere
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

Best crosswalk lights are those that show seconds remaining. Most hilarious crosswalk lights are those that show the green guy running progressively faster and faster.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on March 09, 2022, 10:11:34 AMBest crosswalk lights are those that show seconds remaining. Most hilarious crosswalk lights are those that show the green guy running progressively faster and faster.

Saw only the former in Moscow, with its broad boulevards/chaussées/shossee to cross as far as I can remember.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 09, 2022, 10:42:26 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 09, 2022, 10:11:34 AMBest crosswalk lights are those that show seconds remaining. Most hilarious crosswalk lights are those that show the green guy running progressively faster and faster.

Saw only the former in Moscow, with its broad boulevards/chaussées/shossee to cross as far as I can remember.

They're becoming common in the US.

Barrister

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 09, 2022, 11:55:34 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 09, 2022, 10:42:26 AM

They're becoming common in the US.

The countdown timer on crosswalks are ubiquitous around here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Yeah super-common here too. I love them. They are very helpful.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

We don't have timers on crosswalks, but the green light for pedestrians starts flashing when the green phase is about to end.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

The crossings in Berlin are particularly good because some of them use the old and distinctive DDR figures :

https://www.justgoplacesblog.com/ampelmann/

Sheilbh

Yeah! I love him :wub:

Edit: Also reminds me of the map of Europe of crossing men. UK again not joining in, also Poland apparently not understanding the concept of crossing the road :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

We also still have "love" ones, with couples holding hands (M/F, M/M, F/F variants exist).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Shared by Malthus' aunt on Twitter:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on March 09, 2022, 12:45:40 PMWe also still have "love" ones, with couples holding hands (M/F, M/M, F/F variants exist).
We have a few - I think they've been installed for various prides and then kept - for traffic lights:

I have never seen any of the ones with the little couples in the wild, but see the symbol ones loads.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Haven't seen any of those yet, must be overdue a trip to Brighton....bloomin' covid

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 09, 2022, 12:50:56 PMHaven't seen any of those yet, must be overdue a trip to Brighton....bloomin' covid

Trafalgar Square
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

They're in Manchester too - almost certainly around the gay village.
Let's bomb Russia!