Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2022, 03:56:46 PMWhat about cam girls? Have they been affected? I read a lot of them are based in Russia.

According to random social media things I've seen, yes. No way for them to process pay, and they're being delisted from various sites as well. So a double whammy.

Take with a grain of salt, as it's just a second hand social media presence.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2022, 03:56:46 PMWhat about cam girls? Have they been affected? I read a lot of them are based in Russia.

I looked yesterday at Cam Hub and Russian girls were still working.  More and more flying under false flags.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2022, 04:00:09 PM

I looked yesterday at Cam Hub and Russian girls were still working.  More and more flying under false flags.

As Jacob says, though, how do they convert their tokens into roubles?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

alfred russel

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 08, 2022, 03:35:25 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on March 08, 2022, 03:07:13 PMNo break for you today, Comrade: :mad:

McDonald's is shutting down its Russian restaurants

As the article explains, the majority of McDonald's in Russia are company owned (rather than franchises.)  Russia and Ukraine account for about 10% of worldwide sales.

i'm lovin' it

Finally Russia gets some good news.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Zanza on March 08, 2022, 03:54:20 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 08, 2022, 03:27:21 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 08, 2022, 03:12:38 PMdoesn't what you call "heat pump" also work for summer to cool off the house?

Heat pumps move heat--this is bidirectional, so they can make a home cooler in the summer.
Heat pumps here are typically not used to directly heat or cool air, but to heat water that then circulates through the house and gives off heat via radiators or under-floor heating. That will not allow cooling.

Given that comment I do not know what you are referring to as heat pumps, but the heat pumps referenced in American press do not work that way, and what you are talking about is a very different thing. Heating of the style you just referenced are usually referred to as radiators--radiators can cycle either hot water or steam through the housing unit. These are extremely uncommon in America and typically only used in East Coast cities in "legacy" housing.

OttoVonBismarck

I would also wager if Biden is talking in the American press about sending "heat pumps" he means the heat exchange air systems that would be understood by American press, and not whatever system you are referencing.

The Brain

Aren't radiators simply heat exchangers?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Do we have a heat pump gap/supremacy with/over the Soviets/Russians?

How would you integrate a heat pump with a deep mine shaft?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Brain on March 08, 2022, 04:09:58 PMAren't radiators simply heat exchangers?

Absolutely, they just work differently mechanically--in English at least in the United States, if you work with a professional in this field and you say "heat pump" it means one of two things:

95% of the time - A ducted or mini-split (for homes without ducts) air mover that concentrates outside air heat and then moves it inside, thus increasing the temperature in side. These systems can intrinsically work bidirectionally, so they can reverse this process to cool the home as well.

5% of the time - They mean a newer and very rare system--a geothermal heat-pump. These use pipes buried many feet into the ground to pump water down, and then back up into the home. These can be used to maintain a "constant temperature" either warmer or cooler than the ambient natural temperature. These are popular for future-proofers and green energy types, but are much more expensive than typical systems and quite rare.

The sort of system Zanza is describing that uses heated water to warm a home is basically only used in apartment buildings in the United States, and mostly buildings built in the eastern half of the country before 1950.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2022, 04:02:00 PMAs Jacob says, though, how do they convert their tokens into roubles?

Dunno how their cut gets transferred to them from Cam Hub, but no one is paying anyone in tokens.  I'm paying Cam Hub in dollars.

Razgovory

I'm not an expert on heat pumps (or anything), so I keep thinking of refrigerators and mathematical formulas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Zanza on March 08, 2022, 03:54:20 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 08, 2022, 03:27:21 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 08, 2022, 03:12:38 PMdoesn't what you call "heat pump" also work for summer to cool off the house?

Heat pumps move heat--this is bidirectional, so they can make a home cooler in the summer.
Heat pumps here are typically not used to directly heat or cool air, but to heat water that then circulates through the house and gives off heat via radiators or under-floor heating. That will not allow cooling.

Heat pumps can and do heat and cool air. Although the do make super efficient hot water boilers too
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

I got top marks in thermodynamics at university. :smarty:

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on March 08, 2022, 04:31:34 PMI got top marks in thermodynamics at university. :smarty:

I worked for 5 years and a industrial refrigeration company. Want a job in Canada? Pay sucks and we stick you in the basement if you're an engineer :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

I heard that the 5,000 Swedish AT-4s have reached Ukrainian forces. They won't kill a real tank, but everything else is prey. :)

Sweden hasn't sent any NLAWs, I guess we just don't have huge numbers to spare.