Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2022, 02:07:16 PMThat heat pump idea sounds better the more I think about it.  I've traveled in Europe in February.  Much milder winters than the US.  You guys don't need furnaces.

Only problem might be where to put them, for a row house with no yard.

Do the installation as a big public labor project.

A lot of new developments around here already have them (not apartment buildings, though - but in Vienna they often build those with remote heating now, and start to also add remote cooling).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2022, 02:06:57 PMPoland hands over all its MiG jets to the USA who will replace them with equivalents and transfer the MiGs to Ukraine and asking other countries to do the same.

I don't doubt Polish sincerity in helping Ukraine - but is this also just a free way to upgrade their airforce? (I genuinely have no idea - I assume the US planes they're getting are better?) :hmm:

Where would the US find planes that were not better than MiG 29s?  :lol:

I mentioned earlier that Poland already had F16s on order.  Taiwan was ahead of Poland in line, so they must have agreed to let Poland jump the line*

*Queue

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2022, 02:10:18 PMWhere would the US find planes that were not better than MiG 29s?  :lol:
I cannot emphasise enough how little I know about military stuff :P

Separately - interesting thread on the Z trend to counter the earlier points about it:
https://twitter.com/irgarner/status/1500875002647822336
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2022, 02:10:18 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2022, 02:06:57 PMPoland hands over all its MiG jets to the USA who will replace them with equivalents and transfer the MiGs to Ukraine and asking other countries to do the same.

I don't doubt Polish sincerity in helping Ukraine - but is this also just a free way to upgrade their airforce? (I genuinely have no idea - I assume the US planes they're getting are better?) :hmm:

Where would the US find planes that were not better than MiG 29s?  :lol:

I mentioned earlier that Poland already had F16s on order.  Taiwan was ahead of Poland in line, so they must have agreed to let Poland jump the line*

*Queue

I'm pretty sure Poland is getting used F-16s that the US is replacing with F-35s, which is why Poland can expect to get them relatively quickly.  But yes pretty sure those will be an upgrade on MiG-29s, and much more compatible with NATO.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2022, 01:56:42 PMIt's extraordinary that Russia is still fundamentally the model it was pre-WW1 or in the 30s: export raw materials to pay for importing tech.

It's really not that extraordinary; there are fundamental resource and political economy dynamics that push in that direction and Putinism has encouraged that flow.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Threviel

Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2022, 12:52:58 PM
Quote from: Threviel on March 08, 2022, 12:10:23 PMI've been following this war more closely than any large scale event in my life. Twitter has been magnificent and I've felt that I have been able to keep myself well ahead of traditional news outlets, just keeping myself to here and twitter.

Okay, so I've been on Twitter a lot.  I've always followed some English-language news sources out of Ukraine, but I've picked up a bunch more.

But don't think that you're "well ahead of traditional news outlets".  Traditional news outlets don't report a lot of what you'll see on Twitter because it can not be verified.

Twitter is also full of journalists and historians and eye-witnesses. There are lots of analysis and news and links to other longer texts and even podcasts. There's even lots of debunkers. The things I took away as news in the evening went into Swedish news in the afternoon the next day. To give an example of Swedish journalistic quality: https://twitter.com/OKhudetska/status/1501145738474106885

I'm not an idiot and it was not the quality of the information that was my point. It was that I don't want to see anymore of that horrible shit. I know what will happen, I've read lots of eye witness accounts and histories of wars, I do not want to see dead children, I do not want to see dead women, I do not want to see dead civilians and I don't want to see dead soldiers.

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on March 08, 2022, 02:28:12 PM
Quote from: Threviel on March 08, 2022, 12:10:23 PMI've been following this war more closely than any large scale event in my life. Twitter has been magnificent and I've felt that I have been able to keep myself well ahead of traditional news outlets, just keeping myself to here and twitter.

Okay, so I've been on Twitter a lot.  I've always followed some English-language news sources out of Ukraine, but I've picked up a bunch more.

But don't think that you're "well ahead of traditional news outlets".  Traditional news outlets don't report a lot of what you'll see on Twitter because it can not be verified.

Twitter is also full of journalists and historians and eye-witnesses. There are lots of analysis and news and links to other longer texts and even podcasts. There's even lots of debunkers. The things I took away as news in the evening went into Swedish news in the afternoon the next day. To give an example of Swedish journalistic quality: https://twitter.com/OKhudetska/status/1501145738474106885

I'm not an idiot and it was not the quality of the information that was my point. It was that I don't want to see anymore of that horrible shit. I know what will happen, I've read lots of eye witness accounts and histories of wars, I do not want to see dead children, I do not want to see dead women, I do not want to see dead civilians and I don't want to see dead soldiers.

... Those who can't teach gym, get into journalism.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Trying to follow news of this war from the Russian side is completely useless which means we're only getting news from the Ukrainian side.  And while Ukraine is a much freer country, including press freedom, they obviously have an agenda here too.  The only things I've seen on Twitter have been burned out Russian vehicles, or shelled cities / huddling refugees.  There's been nothing on what the Ukrainian military is doing, good or bad.

That's a good sumation of the dangers of relying on an incomplete spectrum of news sources.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

What I heard was that the US offered F-16s to Poland to replace the Mig-29s. The problem there was that the F-16s we were offering were actually slated to go to Taiwan. So what does Taiwan get instead?

The US apparently needs to start churning out a lot more warplanes.

edit: I see this was already pointed out.

But it does illustrate what a fucking mess the US has made of our fighter procurement programs. We replaced F-15 with F-22, which is too expensive for even ourselves, and there is no less expensive alternative.

We replaced the F-18/18 with the F-035, which is not too expensive for us, but IS too expensive for many other countries who need a reasonable replacement for that first line but not top of the line slot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Syt on March 08, 2022, 02:08:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2022, 02:07:16 PMThat heat pump idea sounds better the more I think about it.  I've traveled in Europe in February.  Much milder winters than the US.  You guys don't need furnaces.

Only problem might be where to put them, for a row house with no yard.

Do the installation as a big public labor project.

A lot of new developments around here already have them (not apartment buildings, though - but in Vienna they often build those with remote heating now, and start to also add remote cooling).
I'm not sure it's the most economical thing for apartment buildings though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Sanctions seems to have it a nerve to some:
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/03/russian-sanctions-oligarchs-offshore-wealth/623886/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Quotehe United States, United Kingdom, and European Union had barely announced sanctions on overseas Russian wealth when the oligarchs began to whine and protest. That meant the policy—enacted after Russia invaded Ukraine—was working as intended, to punish Russia's elites for supporting President Vladimir Putin. By last weekend in Moscow, the Russian-state-television host Vladimir Solovyev raged on camera over what the sanctions would mean for him personally: loss of access to his two luxury homes in Lake Como, Italy, near the villa of George Clooney.

We're creating economic refugees in Russia. Damn.  I'm gonna cry a little now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2022, 01:56:42 PMIt's extraordinary that Russia is still fundamentally the model it was pre-WW1 or in the 30s: export raw materials to pay for importing tech.

Yeah that's been the Russian business model since at least the Muscovy Trading Company in 1555. Hence rather difficult to do a quick turnaround to China. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Habbaku

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraines-zelensky-says-he-has-cooled-on-joining-nato-2022-3

QuoteIn addition to his NATO comments, Zelensky said on Tuesday that he is open to discussions about the control of Russian-backed separatist regions in eastern Ukraine, possible openings to peace talks with Russia.

"It is important to me how people who want to be part of Ukraine will live there. I am interested in the opinion of those who see themselves as citizens of the Russian Federation. However, we must discuss this issue," Zelensky said.

Zelenskyy seems to be indicating peace is on the table, and maybe soon.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

No break for you today, Comrade: :mad:

McDonald's is shutting down its Russian restaurants

As the article explains, the majority of McDonald's in Russia are company owned (rather than franchises.)  Russia and Ukraine account for about 10% of worldwide sales.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2022, 02:59:56 PMhttps://www.businessinsider.com/ukraines-zelensky-says-he-has-cooled-on-joining-nato-2022-3

QuoteIn addition to his NATO comments, Zelensky said on Tuesday that he is open to discussions about the control of Russian-backed separatist regions in eastern Ukraine, possible openings to peace talks with Russia.

"It is important to me how people who want to be part of Ukraine will live there. I am interested in the opinion of those who see themselves as citizens of the Russian Federation. However, we must discuss this issue," Zelensky said.

Zelenskyy seems to be indicating peace is on the table, and maybe soon.

Now if they can just work out that pesky denazification thing.