Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Marginally related, but interesting map on gas pipelines in Europe:

Legbiter

Quote from: mongers on March 08, 2022, 11:17:26 AMCould well be 3 months or 3 years, not that I question the rate at which they're wreaking cities, just depends on when Russian military have had enough of Putin?

The social contract Putin had was economic improvement from the awful 90's, restoration of Russian dignity, etc. Now the Russian middle class is back to the 90's, they're a pariah state in their biggest export markets and Russian zoomers can look forward to living in a Chinese resource colony. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zoupa

That Salvini video was delicious. Wtf was he even thinking going there

Sheilbh

EU has published a plan to get Europe of 2/3 of its Russian gas habit by year end (which would be huge) and to fully lose it by well ahead of 2030.

Also looking at using the covid recovery fund model to issue common debt and fund energy transition and re-arming :mmm:

I've always used the analogy of wartime mobilisation for climate but between that and climate lendlease we might finally be getting there - very sad that it required a literal war to get there but generally lots of good sounding ideas here.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: Zoupa on March 08, 2022, 11:54:31 AMThat Salvini video was delicious. Wtf was he even thinking going there

The man loves public humiliation. Don't kink shame.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on March 08, 2022, 11:36:09 AMLend lease is gonna be really weird this time.

QuoteJeff Stein
@JStein_WaPo
·
1h
NEWS -- WH aides in early discussions over "HEAT PUMPS FOR EUROPE" program to use US manufacturing power to send massive numbers of energy-efficient pumps to Europe to buffer Russia energy blow.

Exploring use of DPA, DOD $.

Major logistical hurdles

What sense does that make? Politically seems like a great winner but it is March. Are we talking about for next winter because this one is basically over.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Threviel

I've been following this war more closely than any large scale event in my life. Twitter has been magnificent and I've felt that I have been able to keep myself well ahead of traditional news outlets, just keeping myself to here and twitter.

A lot of the media that's been shared have shown gore stuff. My whole life, since accidentally following the wrong link once '98 or so, I've stayed away from that. I've not really perused the darker corners of the web with all its gore. This war is the first time. And it's not like I've searched out gruesome stuff, from comments I gather that there are far more horrible shit out there. I've felt that I could handle dead soldiers, I've after all seen thousands in my history books.

But today they started sharing pictures of the children. Dead small children. I almost started crying and I haven't been able to drop it. I removed all followings of war stuff and I will try to stay the fuck away from twitter and the like. :cry:

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on March 08, 2022, 12:07:18 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 08, 2022, 11:36:09 AMLend lease is gonna be really weird this time.

QuoteJeff Stein
@JStein_WaPo
·
1h
NEWS -- WH aides in early discussions over "HEAT PUMPS FOR EUROPE" program to use US manufacturing power to send massive numbers of energy-efficient pumps to Europe to buffer Russia energy blow.

Major logistical hurdles

What sense does that make? Politically seems like a great winner but it is March. Are we talking about for next winter because this one is basically over.

People still use their heating in spring.
But yeah, likely with an eye to autumn and winter given the logistics.
██████
██████
██████

Pedrito

Quote from: The Larch on March 08, 2022, 11:22:58 AMNot a good time for far right populists in Europe, maybe a good side effect of this war?

Salvini goes to the Polish - Ukranian border and gets publicly ashamed by the local mayor, who brings up his pro-Putin stunts with a T-shirt with Putin's face that Salvini wore on a visit to Moscow years ago:

Video of the exchange, with Salvini getting berated by the Polish mayor ("No respect for you!") and then trying to get away from it when asked to condemn Putin's actions, only to be heckled by the Italian journalists gathered there: https://twitter.com/paologerbaudo/status/1501204201690513418

Beautiful  :cry:

Last week the Draghi government pushed for a new regulation of national cadastre (land management) laws, and Salvini (whose party still retains a relative majority of seats in the italian parliament, and is strongly opposing the reform) threatened to withdraw support to the government.
The next day, a newspaper plainly called him out for being a Putin lackey and vassal, and some other rather funny names. It was nice.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 08, 2022, 10:23:06 AMWhat name is used for medieval Rurikid state in Kyiv? Still "Rus"?

The one post-invasion mention by professional historian that I've seen has them as "Kyivan Rus'".

If "Muscovites" wasn't too long a word it would make sense to consistently use it for the people today called "Russians". The most historically accurate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2022, 08:36:26 AM:lol:

Also, can we PLEASE fight the further spread of "cyber" to mean cyber security?

Indeed.  Cyber is much broader than cyber security, just as national is broader than national security.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on March 08, 2022, 12:17:52 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2022, 08:36:26 AM:lol:

Also, can we PLEASE fight the further spread of "cyber" to mean cyber security?

Indeed.  Cyber is much broader than cyber security, just as national is broader than national security.

And katmai is broader than them all.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on March 08, 2022, 12:07:18 PM

QuoteJeff Stein
@JStein_WaPo
·
1h

Major logistical hurdles

I want to think we can manufacture heat pumps. They are hardly a classified technology, I have one, they're very common in A/Cs over here.  :P

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on March 08, 2022, 12:41:39 PMI want to think we can manufacture heat pumps.

Probably, but America doesn't want to hear that. When there is a crisis in Europe, we want to bail you out, and then remind you of the sacrifices made on your behalf for the next 80 years and counting.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Threviel on March 08, 2022, 12:10:23 PMI've been following this war more closely than any large scale event in my life. Twitter has been magnificent and I've felt that I have been able to keep myself well ahead of traditional news outlets, just keeping myself to here and twitter.

Okay, so I've been on Twitter a lot.  I've always followed some English-language news sources out of Ukraine, but I've picked up a bunch more.

But don't think that you're "well ahead of traditional news outlets".  Traditional news outlets don't report a lot of what you'll see on Twitter because it can not be verified.

Trying to follow news of this war from the Russian side is completely useless which means we're only getting news from the Ukrainian side.  And while Ukraine is a much freer country, including press freedom, they obviously have an agenda here too.  The only things I've seen on Twitter have been burned out Russian vehicles, or shelled cities / huddling refugees.  There's been nothing on what the Ukrainian military is doing, good or bad.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.