Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

There really isn't anything complicated about easing sanctions on Venezuela. The republicans are in an ideal political situation regarding gas prices (which feeds a lot of other issues like inflation). Push for sanctions on Russian oil because of the war, and Biden has two options: go along in which case the price of oil soars and it is an epic albatross in the midterms, or don't go along and pin Biden as too soft on Russia/ultimately funding the operations in Ukraine.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Habbaku

Reports coming out that the Japanese are reasserting their claim on the Kurils.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2022, 10:16:24 AMReports coming out that the Japanese are reasserting their claim on the Kurils.  :lol:

The Sack of Sakhalin?  :nerd:

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on March 08, 2022, 10:01:30 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 08, 2022, 09:55:18 AMSo, the problem is Ukraine's decision to leave the USSR in the early 1990s.  That was nationalism.  It means in your mind, there is never a valid justification for the independence of a country, only for the joining, willingly or not of two countries.

What the fuck?

And I ask that sincerely. 😄

According to Tyr, the problem is nationalism, which is a cancer.

Ukraine's decision to seek independence from Russia derives from nationalism, the formation of a distinct Ukrainian nationality, in their minds, from Russia's cultural hegemony.

The desire of the population is to seek trade alliances with the West, not with Russia.  If they were good slaves to the imperial regime of Russia, we wouldn't have a war: Ukraine's natural resources would belong to russian oligarchs, Ukrainians would serve in the Russian military, Ukraine would never have asked to trade with the EU, to join the EU, or open talks with NATO since there would have been no 2014 invasion.

I think Tyr's position is pretty clear: Empires can be made, it's all good.  But you can never seek to separate yourself from an empire as it's a cancer.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2022, 10:10:25 AMIt's a continuation of his discussion with Squeeze on the pros and cons of nationalism.

Yep, plus some perceived double standards about nationalism (good one and bad one) and minority language issues in Canada ("Speak White you Nazi frog" shenanigans).

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on March 08, 2022, 10:19:58 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 08, 2022, 10:01:30 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 08, 2022, 09:55:18 AMSo, the problem is Ukraine's decision to leave the USSR in the early 1990s.  That was nationalism.  It means in your mind, there is never a valid justification for the independence of a country, only for the joining, willingly or not of two countries.

What the fuck?

And I ask that sincerely. 😄

According to Tyr, the problem is nationalism, which is a cancer.

Ukraine's decision to seek independence from Russia derives from nationalism, the formation of a distinct Ukrainian nationality, in their minds, from Russia's cultural hegemony.

The desire of the population is to seek trade alliances with the West, not with Russia.  If they were good slaves to the imperial regime of Russia, we wouldn't have a war: Ukraine's natural resources would belong to russian oligarchs, Ukrainians would serve in the Russian military, Ukraine would never have asked to trade with the EU, to join the EU, or open talks with NATO since there would have been no 2014 invasion.

I think Tyr's position is pretty clear: Empires can be made, it's all good.  But you can never seek to separate yourself from an empire as it's a cancer.

My bad, I thought your post was a response to my post; hence my confusion.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

What name is used for medieval Rurikid state in Kyiv? Still "Rus"?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 08, 2022, 10:23:06 AMWhat name is used for medieval Rurikid state in Kyiv? Still "Rus"?

Or Rus', more and more.

Kievan is still used with it, however.

Tamas

I think the summary of Tyr's various opinions is that, Scotland should be free to have a referendum and declare independence, but, if England decided to take them back by force 30 years later, then Scotland should make sure to only talk about regular Englishmen with respect. :P

Legbiter

Wondering what the Russians do in 3 weeks or so when they've completely levelled all the cities in the south plus Kænugarðr, their army beat up and exhausted, and yet the Ukrainians refuse to capitulate?  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2022, 10:29:17 AMI think the summary of Tyr's various opinions is that, Scotland should be free to have a referendum and declare independence, but, if England decided to take them back by force 30 years later, then Scotland should make sure to only talk about regular Englishmen with respect. :P

Perhaps another analogy for Tyr's position is if the US decided to invade England in order to protect English speakers through the historical justification that they are all one, it would be wrong of the English to point out that they are a separate nation.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on March 08, 2022, 11:02:12 AMWondering what the Russians do in 3 weeks or so when they've completely levelled all the cities in the south plus Kænugarðr, their army beat up and exhausted, and yet the Ukrainians refuse to capitulate?  :hmm:

Could well be 3 months or 3 years, not that I question the rate at which they're wreaking cities, just depends on when Russian military have had enough of Putin?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Not a good time for far right populists in Europe, maybe a good side effect of this war?

Salvini goes to the Polish - Ukranian border and gets publicly ashamed by the local mayor, who brings up his pro-Putin stunts with a T-shirt with Putin's face that Salvini wore on a visit to Moscow years ago:

Video of the exchange, with Salvini getting berated by the Polish mayor ("No respect for you!") and then trying to get away from it when asked to condemn Putin's actions, only to be heckled by the Italian journalists gathered there: https://twitter.com/paologerbaudo/status/1501204201690513418

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2022, 10:16:24 AMReports coming out that the Japanese are reasserting their claim on the Kurils.  :lol:

Far East armor seems to be on train going west. Take them back, Japan. Do it!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Lend lease is gonna be really weird this time.

QuoteJeff Stein
@JStein_WaPo
·
1h
NEWS -- WH aides in early discussions over "HEAT PUMPS FOR EUROPE" program to use US manufacturing power to send massive numbers of energy-efficient pumps to Europe to buffer Russia energy blow.

Exploring use of DPA, DOD $.

Major logistical hurdles